After vines 10/16/2014 05:41 PM CDT
Anyone have a hunting area recommendation once vines start slowing down? I thought there was enough overlap to try quartz gargs, but they were a bit too punchy for my tastes.

This is a paladin, defenses in the 120s, weapons in the 100s. Weapons still train, but are slow, while defenses pretty much don't move.

I'd prefer something skinnable. I thought about grave worms, but frankly getting into there has about a 1/5 chance of death, which is annoying enough that I'd rather hunt elsewhere.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: After vines 10/16/2014 06:16 PM CDT
You sound perfectly at level for Mutant Togballs out in Boar Clan, although you might be reaching their cap soon. If so, you can transition straight to the lowest level of blight ogres and be on your merry!

Usually when I observe people PvPing it is a problem with their stat assignment being much less than their opponent, and more often than not their opponent has higher skills than they were expecting. - Kodius

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time. - Sun Tzu
Re: After vines 10/16/2014 06:44 PM CDT
If you want to hang around P2 a wee bit above vines .... try Unyns?

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Nightweaver_Unyn

/salute

-Ssra

"You will come to find that we are all one mind. Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable."
Re: After vines 10/16/2014 07:07 PM CDT
I should probably add they're only slightly less skilled that the quartz gargoyles. Bring a friend. It can get "sticky" in there.

/salute

-Ssra

"You will come to find that we are all one mind. Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable."
Re: After vines 10/16/2014 07:59 PM CDT
>https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Nightreaver_Unyn

Night-w-eavers are 100-150 on the wiki. Night-r-eavers are 180-225. The wiki says they spawn in the same zones.

That's a non-starter for me if it's accurate.

The wiki also lists togballs as starting around 120, so I had written them off. I'll give them a try though, one of my favorite areas.

Re: After vines 10/16/2014 08:01 PM CDT
Hrm. I think the Riverhaven flavor is a bit lower level but best to play it safe!

I'm going to check them out later now that my curiosity is piqued. I think I have a brave Paladin around that level.

/salute

-Ssra

Re: After vines 10/16/2014 08:41 PM CDT
The wiki for Togballs has not been updated. I was past their cap when the updates came in and nobody has chipped in and updated their new caps. They are easier than the wiki currently states.^^

Usually when I observe people PvPing it is a problem with their stat assignment being much less than their opponent, and more often than not their opponent has higher skills than they were expecting. - Kodius

Know your enemy and know yourself, find naught in fear for 100 battles. Know yourself but not your enemy, find level of loss and victory. Know thy enemy but not yourself, wallow in defeat every time. - Sun Tzu
Re: After vines 10/16/2014 09:25 PM CDT
>The wiki for Togballs has not been updated. I was past their cap when the updates came in and nobody has chipped in and updated their new caps. They are easier than the wiki currently states.^^

I think I disagree. At around 120s, with a huge shield, mixture of armor, 4 hindrance, and AA, I get tagged fairly often. I'd put 120 as the starting point being pretty reasonable. I feel like if I didn't have the slew of buffs, and/or was 10 ranks lower, I'd be in trouble.

Re: After vines 10/16/2014 09:26 PM CDT
Yes, confirmed ... a bit. The Haven flavor is definitely weaker than the Aesry variety. Though, I was getting roughed up a bit at 100-120 ranks. Probably something to consider in the 140-150ish defense range.

/salute

-Ssra

Re: After vines 10/16/2014 09:37 PM CDT
>>I think I disagree. At around 120s, with a huge shield, mixture of armor, 4 hindrance, and AA, I get tagged fairly often.

The variance will be based upon training style, stat allocation and buff suite of course. I'm hoping you are using a Small shield, since Togballs are all melee. As I said, your mileage may differ! I probably should update it to something along the lines of 100 (Cleric).

Re: After vines 10/17/2014 07:12 AM CDT
>I probably should update it to something along the lines of 100 (Cleric).

Generally the wiki should be based on average. Clerics have so many anti-undead boosts that a 20% variance (i.e. your 100 is my paladins 120) is pretty acceptable.

Maybe just split the difference and call it 110?

Also, I'm using a large shield because it's easier to just use it everywhere. Paladin. Just use it for everything, as far as I'm aware the increased stats on the pavise shield outweigh the benefits of swapping to a lesser stat small shield?

Re: After vines 10/17/2014 08:59 PM CDT
I'm not sure if Paladins have extended benefits with a shield, but the standard is this, although it seems the wiki does not state it:

Small shields = 20% bonus to defending against melee attacks / -20% penalty to defending against ranged attacks
Medium shields = No modifier
Large shields = 20% bonus to defending against ranged attacks / -20% penalty to defending against melee attacks

Re: After vines 10/17/2014 09:25 PM CDT
Yea, but look up the stats on the pavis shield.

Re: After vines 10/17/2014 11:00 PM CDT
>Small shields = 20% bonus to defending against melee attacks / -20% penalty to defending against ranged attacks
>Medium shields = No modifier
>Large shields = 20% bonus to defending against ranged attacks / -20% penalty to defending against melee attacks

Those numbers seem higher than I remember, got a source?

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: After vines 10/17/2014 11:01 PM CDT
Hah, found it.

Small Shield: 100% melee, 80% Missile
Med Shield : 98% melee, 90% Missile
Large Shield: 96% melee, 100% Missile

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:Shield_-_11/21/2012_-_21:51

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: After vines 10/18/2014 04:21 PM CDT
Interesting, I've no idea who told me about a static 20% in regards to the small/large comparisons, but according to that post that was wrong. Also according to that post, screw everything but large shields. That isn't a penalty to small shields, that is more a why bother using them at all?

Re: After vines 10/18/2014 04:49 PM CDT
Being able to armwear them as a non-paladin, and shields bigger than small are pretty hindering.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: After vines 10/19/2014 02:46 PM CDT
>Also according to that post, screw everything but large shields. That isn't a penalty to small shields, that is more a why bother using them at all?

Write out on a piece of paper the perks of being armor prime vs. magic prime vs weapon prime, and let me know how it stacks up. Then remove the ability to arm wear large shields, and compare again.

>Interesting, I've no idea who told me about a static 20% in regards to the small/large comparisons,

The person may have been confusing the arm-worn system, which caps your shield stats, with the shield-size system, which does different things?

Re: After vines 10/20/2014 07:45 PM CDT
>Yes, confirmed ... a bit. The Haven flavor is definitely weaker than the Aesry variety. Though, I was getting roughed up a bit at 100-120 ranks. Probably something to consider in the 140-150ish defense range.

I found when hunting unyns at level that generally you'd get mostly weavers (or whatever the low level ones are) and the occasional reaver would wander in to try and mess me up. But if you're paying attention, back out and engage the reaver and do your best to take it down as quickly as possible, it's more than doable.

Warmies with shockwave get to watch critters get knocked out of the room and then back into the room in that one center room. Room.

Bloodvines are another option. Low level deer maybe? La'tami in Shard might be a bit too hard but worth a shot, also Frostweyr bears. Speaking of, gargoyles and snowbeasts should still be viable for a bit.
Re: After vines 10/20/2014 08:53 PM CDT
Togballs ended up being slightly too difficult. I couldn't hit them with my backtraining weapon in the 30s, and after about 30 minutes they had rendered me a bloody mess and I had to go waste a few gold on the autopath.

I decided to just give grave wurms a shot. I love the hunting area, even if I loathe the 'go through 20 seconds of RT in a 400+ rank hunting area to get to the 80 rank hunting area' stupidity.

Bloodvines are harder than togballs, to my knowledge. I've never enjoyed the 'here's a critter with 20-50% more difficulty than your target, enjoy!' thing that pops up. I hated marauders in vines, etc.

Re: After vines 10/20/2014 09:26 PM CDT
>Bloodvines are harder than togballs, to my knowledge. I've never enjoyed the 'here's a critter with 20-50% more difficulty than your target, enjoy!' thing that pops up. I hated marauders in vines, etc.

Hrrrmm. Bloodvines are pretty consistent. Are you sure you don't mean the nyads/dryads area possibly? The dryads are about...I don't know 75 ranks lower in difficulty to the nyads.
Re: After vines 10/21/2014 06:24 AM CDT
>Hrrrmm. Bloodvines are pretty consistent. Are you sure you don't mean the nyads/dryads area possibly? The dryads are about...I don't know 75 ranks lower in difficulty to the nyads.

I switched critters midway through that and went from talking about bloodvines to weavers/reavers. Long day.

Re: After vines 10/21/2014 11:45 AM CDT
Did you find a new hunting spot?

/salute

-Ssra

Re: After vines 10/21/2014 12:25 PM CDT
Grave worms for now. Would be great if someone would, say, have a storm cloud rider blow apart the gate/wall so we could actually use it as a hunting ground.