Post blood wolves? 09/21/2012 05:56 PM CDT
I'm starting to cap bloodies, and wondered what everyone would recommend? My eva/shield/armor/mo are all around 120, weapons are mid 90s. Cleric, so I'm eyeballing togballs hard, but not sure I'll be able to do 'em, and while I dearly, dearly, love farfromsneeze, it's an ugly trek to figure out I can't do 'em yet. Any suggestions, or does anyone know if the 120s starting that Epedia pegs togballs at is low/high?

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Post blood wolves? 09/21/2012 06:11 PM CDT
You could try snowbeasts and gargs on the way down, then frostweyr bears, then young cave trolls, and then togballs. Make a couple day trek of it so it seems like less of a wasted trip if togballs don't work out. Pretty sure at least one of those options would also work.

But in answer to your question: no, I don't know how accurate that 120 number is. I was able to work my lower 80-100 weapons on them pretty well, though, IIRC.
Re: Post blood wolves? 09/21/2012 06:23 PM CDT
If you are hunting blood wolves near El'Bains, why not hunt something closer instead of making a 'trek' (Takes like 20 minutes to get there...) to P5. There are young brocket deer, and vines/creepers right down the road.
Re: Post blood wolves? 09/21/2012 06:30 PM CDT
>If you are hunting blood wolves near El'Bains, why not hunt something closer instead of making a 'trek' (Takes like 20 minutes to get there...) to P5. There are young brocket deer, and vines/creepers right down the road.

Well, mostly because for a cleric who is willing to hunt cursed/undead stuff, P5 is amazing beyond words for several hundred ranks. Togballs to nearly 200, then tresses/bloodvines, then onward. Plus I really like it down there. I took another character through there a year or two ago.

Re: Post blood wolves? 09/21/2012 06:47 PM CDT

I think the numbers for togballs on e-pedia are a bit off. I used it to backtrain a couple of weapons recently and noticed that they slowed WAAAAAAY down at about 125-130. Maybe its a function of the 100+ exp gain bonus going away or something, but 180 seems like an awful long time to milk those things if they slowed down that early.
Re: Post blood wolves? 09/21/2012 06:52 PM CDT
I can't remember specifically, but aren't the spiders under Theren Keep perfect for that range?
Re: Post blood wolves? 09/21/2012 07:55 PM CDT
If you're at El'Bain's blood wolves right now, I recommend trying vines/creepers. The only downsides are that you can't skin them and the pay is terrible. Marauders show up occasionally and will drop some boxes, if that's your thing. They're wet noodles, but their special attack will scratch you up some.

And I could use some company.
Re: Post blood wolves? 09/21/2012 08:22 PM CDT

there are also graverobbers in Ain that should be easy for your defenses. With ~90 shield, 110 evasion three weren't tough. With those defenses, you could probably do Young cave trolls right now. If they're too easy, you could move over into retch fiends right next door. You're weapons might be a bit low, things are kind of tough over there; they really like to parry, bring a ranged weapon.
Re: Post blood wolves? 09/21/2012 11:53 PM CDT
>>There are young brocket deer, and vines/creepers right down the road.<<

^This.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Post blood wolves? 09/22/2012 08:56 AM CDT
I appreciate the advice, all. I was, in this particular instance, with this particular character, really just planning on taking him down to P5 and camping him there for years. So I was hoping just for togball stats. But now when I hit the bloods cap again I'll have an idea where to take my next alt.

Re: Post blood wolves? 09/22/2012 08:51 PM CDT
My cleric had no difficulty with togballs at those range of skills, as long as you keep protection from evil on. Keeping MPP/MAPP is icing on the cake, but PFE will keep you from getting hurt. If the togballs do manage to get through put up eluned's commune for the next 10-20 defensive ranks and you should be fine. I absolutely love togballs/P5 and personally milked them for as long as I could.
Re: Post blood wolves? 09/30/2012 01:45 PM CDT
So, also trying to raise up a thief around the same combat level, and it's killing me (literally? Ha, puns are bad). The lack of a consistent mpp/pfe/mapp damage soak it an amazing difference. Also only using storebought leathers. Snowies are decent trainers, but they tag the guy too often, and they're about a 'three hits till bleeding' critter, which makes it less than optimal having to drop out of hunting and go get healed every 10 minutes. He's cresting 100 in everything (weapons in the 90s, defenses in the 100s (except parry, it's straggling along at 70 because he uses a lot of ranged and I haven't reworked the stances/weaponry recently, and I got tired of it getting me killed)).

In a perfect world, I'd take him to skinnable and box dropping (both 100), but I'll settle for either. But has to be one. No undead?

Is it mandatory (or even worth it) to upgrade his armor at this point? Some chars I start blinged out, others I let grow into it.

Re: Post blood wolves? 09/30/2012 06:53 PM CDT

If you don't mind going out of your way to throne city I found rive caimans to be a nice step before jumping into snowbeasts. Two areas so decent enough spawn rate, skinnable, and they don't hit very hard.

You don't have to upgrade your armor but if you can afford to its a nice perk. Wore wolf clan leathers up until vipers before plunking down for some shalswar crafted gear.
Re: Post blood wolves? 09/30/2012 08:35 PM CDT
<<Is it mandatory (or even worth it) to upgrade his armor at this point? Some chars I start blinged out, others I let grow into it.

OMG you never told me this part!!!!!1111!!!1!!!1!one!
How hindered is your evasion in those?

Nikpack
Re: Post blood wolves? 09/30/2012 09:45 PM CDT
Insig hinderance and light stealth. Was a non issue in my mind.

Re: Post blood wolves? 09/30/2012 11:20 PM CDT
<<Insig hinderance and light stealth. Was a non issue in my mind.

):

Man, I was hoping that was the issue. Now to obsess why it's so difficult to fight snowbeasts at 100 ranks.

Nikpack
Re: Post blood wolves? 10/01/2012 06:53 AM CDT
I put it down to differences between cleric hunting in full forged lc with mpp and mapp running, as opposed to thief in store leather with no incoming OF reducer.

Re: Post blood wolves? 10/05/2012 09:27 PM CDT
The blood wolves and scout/young ogres out the crossing west gate, or the haven ogres might work.
Young cave trolls in the Abandoned Mine near Raven's.
Fire maiden/young warcat (the one's with the milky teeth).
Crocs.
Re: Post blood wolves? 11/20/2012 06:55 AM CST
A little late to the party, but IIRC my cleric was doing wonders in Leth Moss Meys at that point. Have to keep all your buffs up, and hunt below the obelisk until you can handle more than 3 of them.

Undead, skinning, boxes. Perfect all around.
Re: Post blood wolves? 11/20/2012 09:25 AM CST
Oh sweet, I didn't even notice, razortusk sows must be somewhat new. Sounds perfect, looks like I'm stayin' on the islands for a little while longer. Thanks everyone for all your help!
Re: Post blood wolves? 11/20/2012 10:01 AM CST
Cautionary on meys: they are noncorp, and have a mean special attack.

Re: Post blood wolves? 11/20/2012 10:04 AM CST
>razortusk sows

FWIW, I didn't really notice much difference between the sows and silver leucros.