Grass Eels 12/22/2009 01:45 AM CST
Quick question about Grass Eels in Shard. According to Raniks maps, there is also Golden Pards in that area, which I can confirm from dying from their ambushes. My question is, is there an area there that the Pards do not go into? I only ask because I've seen other hunters there that seem to do fine, where the couple of times I've gone in, I seem to get ambushed/killed within 5 minutes.

Thanks!
Re: Grass Eels 12/22/2009 06:06 AM CST
I hunted there for a couple hundred ranks (spread over 8 weapons) and only go pegged 3 or 4 times. Stick to the 2 rooms nearest the root and you'll be fine. If someone is hunting and genning pards, sticking to the root will not help. I would run through and swim first (to make sure the pards poofed) then go hunting.

Hope that helps.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Grass Eels 12/22/2009 12:32 PM CST
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try
Re: Grass Eels 12/22/2009 04:31 PM CST
It's probably more viable in plat than prime. I got popped when I tried it in prime.
Re: Grass Eels 12/22/2009 04:35 PM CST
When Szrael was a commoner I had her there for pretty much the entire eel skill range and she never got killed by a pard.

I had her stay really close to the roots, and no pards ever seemed to gen unless someone was hunting them, which was really rare. If that was the case, I just trained swimming or climbing or foraging until the pard hunter was gone.

Someone once speculated that they may gen based on circle? Not sure if there's anything to that, but it might explain why lowbies have no trouble but backtrainers do. Again, I can't remember where I read that or how reputable the source was.

-- Player of Szrael --

"Necromancy is Bad" (GM Armifer)
Re: Grass Eels 12/22/2009 04:52 PM CST
I took my thief and moonie through that area for the entire eel skill range as well and the only time I got pounced or even saw a pard was when a ranger that had been taming horses popped in the room to say hello.

I'd advise some caution in the area but as far as I can tell all the rooms in the extreme north of the area gen nothing but eels, also the swimming there teaches for an extremely broad skill range.
Re: Grass Eels 12/22/2009 08:17 PM CST
Thanks for all the great advice.. Attempting to hunt near, or at the root seems okay. Anywhere else has equaled a couple of ambush pard deaths. Oh, and FYI, there was only one other hunter at the time, fairly low looking character training on eels.
Re: Grass Eels 12/22/2009 09:58 PM CST
I must have the worst luck. After 20 minutes of hunting at the root.. Another Pard ambush. Guess it's time to head back north and hope to get one of the eel rooms there.

Thanks again for all the help.
Re: Grass Eels 12/22/2009 11:18 PM CST
grass eels are also in riverhaven

>>I'm constantly amazed by the things that people do in game that would get them punched in the face in RL, but then they try to claim that they didn't do anything that would warrent a PvP situation.<<
-Evran