Another sand sprite question 06/02/2009 05:15 PM CDT
A friend of mine recently returned to the realms, and I'm truly at a loss as to what she should hunt.

She's a ranger, with the spell Sphere of Protection.

42 ME
43 MO
65 Longbow
62 Hiding
38 Parry
67 Evasion
61 Leather Armor

Would this be appropriate to begin Sand Sprites?

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Another sand sprite question 06/02/2009 05:40 PM CDT
She may want to work up a few weapon ranks and perhaps a tad bit of parry first. Depending on her agility she'd likely be able to kill them, albeit slowly with ME. If she set to 100 evasion 80-81 parry she might be alright. I've started characters in sandies with similar ranks and done just fine.

Being a Ranger, unless she specifically works on locks/disarming she may want to try going to bone wolves, then to blood wolves(I can't recommend the Aesry area enough) and then to silver leucros to keep up with skinning.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin
Re: Another sand sprite question 06/02/2009 06:31 PM CDT
You can relatively safely start in sand sprites with 0 ranks. You won't be doing jack to them in a strict one-on-one until 35-40, and it's roughly another 5-10 ranks per additional critter (ie, 2 sprites from 40-50, 3 from 50-60, 4 (and what used to be more) beyond that).

Safety-wise, sand sprites are the new old ship rats. You can't actually die in there unless you wanted to die.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Another sand sprite question 06/02/2009 08:40 PM CDT
Especially with SOP up she should be safe enough if she minds the swarms. With the 4-critter cap this isn't as dangerous as it used-ta-was.

~Talo, Prydaen Barbarian~
Re: Another sand sprite question 06/02/2009 08:44 PM CDT
<<With the 4-critter cap this isn't as dangerous as it used-ta-was.

Very much so. The only thing that used to be bad was the 8+ sprite swarms if there were a lot of people in there. Assuming your discipline and reflex are in the 20's you should do more than fine in there.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386AV.
Re: Another sand sprite question 06/02/2009 10:14 PM CDT
>>You can relatively safely start in sand sprites with 0 ranks.<<

Please don't listen to J'Lo on this one. Completely and utterly false. There is no "relatively" and certainly no "safely" starting in sand sprites with zero ranks, unless you consider it a war of attrition between how many times a cleric will rezz you, and how many favors you will actually lose.

When people show up in sand sprites with 40 ranks in combats and die on a routine basis, I would say that starting at zero is sheer stupidity. A possible exception may be someone with many years experience in DR, and superior scripting ability, and even then I doubt they'll be "relatively safe" starting at zero.

If it helps, just think of yourself as the fluorescent light in the buglamp of life.

- GM Dartenian
Re: Another sand sprite question 06/03/2009 12:45 AM CDT
>>When people show up in sand sprites with 40 ranks in combats and die on a routine basis, I would say that starting at zero is sheer stupidity.

I admit that I still wonder about 0 ranks, though I admit I haven't tried it. However, my leather-wearing Ranger started out in sprites with about 45 ranks in weapons and defense. Yes, I often left bleeding. Yes I had to use SOP to do well. BUt it was fairly survivable if I watched what I was doing. ANd I don't script combat, so it isn't about superiorscripting abilities.

~Talo, Prydaen Barbarian~
Re: Another sand sprite question 06/03/2009 02:05 AM CDT
>>I admit that I still wonder about 0 ranks, though I admit I haven't tried it.

It's safe. I even went in with no armor, no weapon (brawling only), no shield, and some seriously messed-up stats due to RESPEC (4 stamina, 4 strength, 4-6 in both agility and reflex). That stats made it very dicey, but even given the other stuff 3 sprites weren't enough to put me down under a minute or two. Given that you are so far down below their teaching range at this point, this is more than enough time to lock most skills you can stand around learning by doing nothing and whatever doesn't lock can easily be locked on the next round after you've regained vitality and fatigue.

I found it very interesting that using the same test I was unable to train effectively with critters designed with the noob/novice in mind. It wasn't that they weren't teaching well enough, it was that they were hitting me far too hard that I didn't have enough time to get many experience bits in the pool.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Another sand sprite question 06/03/2009 07:19 AM CDT
<<It's safe.>>

Well you are one lucky person I gotta say. I took my thief into sprites, with high 30's - low 40's in everything, and I was lucky to walk out alive after a few minutes, no bleeders but the 4 sprites had me down bad.
Re: Another sand sprite question 06/03/2009 07:58 AM CDT
Your friend would be all right with one or two sand sprites. But she would want more weapon and multi skill before she tried more than that, and definitely more parry if she hasn't trained shield.

Keep in mind that Ratha isn't really Ranger-Friendly- though the sprite area is a bit more so than some of the rest.

Good luck, and welcome back!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy