Sand Sprites 03/22/2009 10:41 AM CDT
I've been reading in this forum how great sand sprites are for training and gaining wealth so I was wondering if I was ready for them?

I have 40 ranks in all 6 of the weapons I train right now and an average of 55 in all my defenses with multi being at 55 as well.

I typical berserk blood and stone while I hunt and wear plate armor. I'm in Platinum so I don't have crazy forged plat armor or anything just regular store bought stuff.

~Player of Khorgar, Dwarven Barbarian~

AIM: KhorgarDR
Re: Sand Sprites 03/22/2009 10:47 AM CDT
With caution, yes. The multi is what's likely to actually be a problem for you- but with the berzerks you could survive.

Good luck!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Sand Sprites 03/22/2009 11:18 AM CDT
Depending on agility, you may have some problems hitting them.

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: Sand Sprites 03/22/2009 07:13 PM CDT
I personally think your dead if you get a lot on you.
Re: Sand Sprites 03/22/2009 07:18 PM CDT
<<I personally think your dead if you get a lot on you.

Could you please elaborate your points for your belief in this?

Re: Sand Sprites 03/22/2009 07:32 PM CDT
<<I personally think your dead if you get a lot on you.>>

He's referring to when a lot of creatures come at you (specifically at melee), you'll get your defense skills overwhelmed due to your current lacking of multi-opponent skill for the situation that may occur. Known as multi-opponent penalty. Fitting name, eh?

Berserk stone could help you with this as it'll also help your multi-opponent skill to a degree.

The other issue is that you may have difficulty hitting your opponents as Grim45 pointed out, but berserk blood will help you there with the melee weapon boost on that one.

I say try it out. If you die consistently, cool. If you survive consistently, cool. You know your situation in PLAT there are few people. So either depart or stay there if you know there's an empath or cleric that can help you.

Sand sprites can teach you in that range you're in.

- Simon
Re: Sand Sprites 03/22/2009 08:28 PM CDT
If you want to give them a try, Nahida and Talo are hunting there now. We'd be happy to go with you.
Re: Sand Sprites 03/22/2009 10:18 PM CDT
My experience is that sprites are still weak enough that plate actually matters. Later on, critters hit and it doesn't matter what you wear, it hurts, but on early critters, the offense vs defense scaling isn't so out of whack, and in plate you wind up getting mostly glancing or sometimes light hits.
Re: Sand Sprites 03/23/2009 12:45 PM CDT
>>I personally think your dead if you get a lot on you.

What do you define as "a lot" for anyone in the 0-40 rank range? Just to give you an idea of what I can safely dance with at 0 ranks of skill:

Rats -- 3
Fell Hogs -- basically they are old-style rats that can't actually hit you, but undead and with wind hound-like treasure
regular Musk Hogs -- 2 or 3 (they have a powerful charge attack, so it's sometimes iffy with 3)
forager goblins -- 3
scavenger goblins -- can't, 1 is way too dangerous due to chain-stun potential
water sprites -- dunno, only ever got them one and sometimes two at a time
field goblins/zombie goblins/shaman -- can't, see scavengers
gelapods -- can't
sand sprites -- 4 to 8, dependant on gen and type of armor worn

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Sand Sprites 03/23/2009 06:58 PM CDT
After going to Sand Sprites with a couple of friends (Thank you Talo and Nahida) I found that sprites are not a danger for me at this point. The sprites can't harm me in my plate armor even when there are seven on me...however after picking up a bunch of boxes and getting around heavy burden they were able to land light hits on me. I couldn't hit them though. However, when I was berserking stone and blood I was able to hit them more regularly and they were not able to harm me at all.

They train outstandingly! I'm actually having to sleep/use favor orbs to keep my mind state down at times.

It's my new favorite hunting spot!

Re: Sand Sprites 03/24/2009 07:05 AM CDT
<<It's my new favorite hunting spot!

If a poll opened up asking what's your favorite hunting spot, I think sand sprites would win hands down.

Nikpack

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Sand Sprites 03/24/2009 09:22 AM CDT
You have to admit, the sprites are great for earning coin, training boxes and shield, and for their level training multi.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Sand Sprites 03/24/2009 04:02 PM CDT
>>If a poll opened up asking what's your favorite hunting spot, I think sand sprites would win hands down.

Who would you ask?

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Sand Sprites 03/27/2009 10:27 AM CDT
Probably everyone since a large population of the player base has hunted sand sprites...............................................................