Goblins 05/13/2008 11:08 AM CDT
I've been getting a stun from Goblins and have almost died a few times. I thought I had enough to hunt them was thinking it was stance and I have that split even between all. My stats are below, any help would be nice thanks. Branlyn.

Shield Usage: 15 24% clear Leather Armor: 31 23% learning
Light Chain: 31 16% learning Light Plate: 4 46% clear
Parry Ability: 29 56% thoughtful Multi Opponent: 32 12% clear
Light Edged: 9 48% clear Medium Edged: 29 59% thoughtful
Heavy Edged: 2 50% clear Light Crossbow: 14 48% clear
Heavy Crossbow: 2 50% clear Brawling: 6 20% clear Evasion: 29 86% clear

Re: Goblins 05/13/2008 11:17 AM CDT
I would vary my stance -- with under two, I'd parry, and with three or up, swap to shield. A good rule of thumb is not to split anything between Parry and Shield -- pick one or the other at a time, since you can only use one or the other at any given time.

>I think i just lost my appetite. -Denz
Re: Goblins 05/13/2008 12:38 PM CDT
You might want to check your burden and injuries. Have you changed anything in your armor set up lately to include anything more hindering? Stance is another good thing to check.

flip
Flip what?

My website of cleric info: http://hometown.aol.com/kaliradr/myhomepage/profile.html
Re: Goblins 05/13/2008 12:47 PM CDT
Are you fighting the Unarmed ones? If not stick with those, around 40ish go to fallow fields near shard, around 45-50 eels.

I hate armed Goblins, if you are in the unarmed ones ignore my post.
Re: Goblins 05/13/2008 01:40 PM CDT
Most people don't split between the three defenses. It really helps to do as Herald42 says -- to focus on one "main" defense at a time and switch to different "main" defenses depending on the circumstances. This way you are getting 100% of your skill out of at least one defense.

So for instance, use stance parry 100/shield 80 sometimes, or evasion 100/parry 80, etc. I find that shield tends to be the most robust defense, but since your parry is higher you might want to switch to that in multi situations. I have macros that I use to switch my stances.

Also, for multi situations, or any time you feel threatened and are afraid you cannot retreat, consider using FLEE. It will keep you from acting for about 8 seconds while draining your fatigue a bit, then you will (hopefully) run away from the situation to a nearby room. It teaches escaping, and your escaping skill should be near goblin skill to use it, but try it out. I use it all the time to get out of really harrowing situations (like when I've just been stunned or there are tons of creatures around). It tends to decrease the number of creatures in that room too.

Note: FLEE may have negative repercussions if you are a Barbarian or Paladin.

Finally, if you are getting stunned, check to make sure that you are wearing armor everywhere. Stuns tend to happen when you get hurt, especially when you get hit somewhere where you are already hurt. And if you're not wearing armor, you're all the more likely to take a big damage hit to that area.

>A good rule of thumb is not to split anything between Parry and Shield -- pick one or the other at a time, since you can only use one or the other at any given time.

What do you mean by this? I use parry 100/shield 80 all the time. I parry most of the time and shield the rest...

- Player of Niieth
Re: Goblins 05/13/2008 01:43 PM CDT
>You might want to check your burden and injuries. Have you changed anything in your armor set up lately to include anything more hindering?

Oh yeah, super hindering armor can be a big problem -- it takes away from your skill level basically! So ignore my "cover all in armor" suggestion if you are really hindered. The best thing is probably really to be not very hindered even if some parts are uncovered. You can add covering pieces later as you grow into the skill.

- Player of Niieth
Re: Goblins 05/13/2008 02:08 PM CDT
It's hard to go straight from rats to field goblins these days.

My most recent character progressed this way:

rats -> zombie goblins -> unarmed goblins -> armed goblins -> water sprites -> grass eels -> beisswurms -> sand sprites -> vines/creepers

Of course, this was also with a commoner, so a guilded character with a few tricks up his or her sleeve might have an easier time of it.

Goblin Zombies/Zombie Goblins are up in Haven, north of the wildland goblin area. They're easier than goblins, drop boxes and are skinnable.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but all the storebought chain in Crossing lacks eye protection. My commoner was getting smacked around/stunned left and right until she picked up a chain balaclava from Shard (a chain helm with eye protection.)
Re: Goblins 05/13/2008 04:17 PM CDT
>not to split anything between Parry and Shield -- pick one or the other at a time, since you can only use one or the other at any given time.

While the advice is sound, the reasoning is not. You can use Parry and Shield at the same time. However, the lower percent you have in your defenses, the worse off you're going to be. Evasion is always checked first, followed by the highest modified ranks (base*stance%), and then the last one is checked.

Split evenly, your modified evasion and parry are about 18 ranks, and your modified shield is about 9 ranks. Try using 100% evasion or parry, and 80% of the other. A lot of people will also do 100/79/1, with the 1 in shield because they'll learn it decently in a swarm.

Elemancer Opieus, Journeyman Warrior Mage of Elanthia
>Aren't I pretty, now fall down on my ice, fool! ~ Axillus
Re: Goblins 05/13/2008 08:44 PM CDT
To learn parry, I set Parry 100, Shield 0, Evasion 80, and for shield I set Shield 100, Parry 0, Evasion 80. I never set evasion any higher than 80, and when my defenses improve so that I'm dodging most attacks, I downtweak evasion by 5 percent at a time until I'm blocking or parrying (depending on stance) at least 50 percent of the attacks so I can continue learning shield and parry. This method has worked for me to well over 500 ranks as a barbarian, warmage, and paladin.

You have been vanquished. That is all.
Goblins? 11/01/2010 09:20 PM CDT
What happened to the goblins out of the west gate in Crossings?

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Goblins? 11/01/2010 09:54 PM CDT
They've been moved into the orchard/farm area and near the perserve along with goblin shamans.

This happened when field goblins got a bit of an upgrade and forager and scavanger goblins were put in their place.

It sort of extended the low level critter ladder a bit.

Khorgar ~ Giving a quick run down
Zombie Goblins 04/30/2011 06:25 PM CDT
The zombie goblins north of Haven are no longer skinnable was this intended?
Re: Zombie Goblins 05/10/2011 12:11 AM CDT
"The zombie goblins north of Haven are no longer skinnable was this intended? "

This is a travesty. Please fix.

-Serc

""It's a hell of a thing, killing some text. Take away all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's got, and all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's ever gonna have." -- Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven."-- Bahb.