Getting hit in rats with 60 evasion 05/13/2013 05:28 PM CDT
I just came back to DR yesterday after a long absence, and I am back-training shield, target and light blunt in ship rats, when I noticed the rats are hitting me through me 60 evasion, 51 defense and so on. Is this the new normal, or is there something that I'm doing wrong that's leaving me exposed? The rats aren't hurting me, but I'm worried what will happen when I go back to hunting reavers or beisswurms or something, if I can get hit in rats.

There were only 2 rats on me.

* Moving well, a ship's rat claws at you. You fail to dodge. The claw lands a harmless blow to your chest.
[You're nimbly balanced and in dominating position.]

Evasion: 61
Defense: 58
Shield: 22
Stance 100 evasion : 80 shield
Re: Getting hit in rats with 60 evasion 05/13/2013 05:41 PM CDT
That is the new norm. Everything has a chance to hit or miss regardless of the skill differences involved. Critters below you won't really hurt you, but at level it can hurt and the wounds will add up over time.
Re: Getting hit in rats with 60 evasion 05/13/2013 06:00 PM CDT
What armor are you wearing, what is your burden, what are your stats, is the sun up?

There is now a set chance that something can hit or be hit, regardless of skill. If it is only happening once in awhile, it could just be bad luck with the RNG.

GENT
Re: Getting hit in rats with 60 evasion 05/13/2013 06:05 PM CDT
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Combat_3.0#Offense_Changes

Specifically:
"In addition, all attacks have a small chance to both miss and hit, regardless of any difference in skill between the attacker and defender."

There's also a lot of good information there on other combat changes.
Re: Getting hit in rats with 60 evasion 05/13/2013 06:33 PM CDT
It was just once in a while, so it sounds like it was just the base chance to be hit. I'm just used to how it used to be where if you are getting hit its bad news.

Thanks.
Re: Getting hit in rats with 60 evasion 05/13/2013 09:37 PM CDT

I've fought for over two hours getting up to good hits on me and been okay. (Mostly brushing or glancing hits) It takes awhile to get used to getting hit a lot. When you hunt in areas that you get hit every couple of attacks you get to mind locked very fast!

I do eat herbs while hunting in those areas which really helps me keep going. Once I get a bleeder I'm out.

I was in an area with split difficulty critters, keep 2 or 3 of the lower circle critters and 1 or 2 of the higher level critters and it trains really really well.
Re: Getting hit in rats with 60 evasion 05/14/2013 12:54 PM CDT
These days I just don't worry the glancing hits anymore, they are pretty much constant at level. I do the same thing where I leave as soon as I get a bleeder or a couple of stuns.