Tortured souls 01/28/2013 07:12 PM CST
I'm hunting tortured souls in the manor of Riverhaven and I noticed that I can't learn stealth from them. If I disable them with Phelem's Sanction, I can hide on them (my stealth is 32), but I don't learn anything.

All my other combats are still going fine at 50, but stealth just isn't moving.

Is this a bug, or do they just not train stealth? (or something else?)
Re: Tortured souls 01/28/2013 07:52 PM CST
Keep in mind that stealth isn't my thing- but you might be better able to learn stealth from some other critter. By the time I discovered Dunshade, I pretty much outclassed the tortured souls, but couldn't sneak up on them very well. Have you tried the wild boars for stealth?

Ryeka and the Brood

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Tortured souls 01/28/2013 08:53 PM CST
Make sure you are staying hidden the entire time. Due to people taking advantage, you can no longer hide and pop out of combat using some action before the roundtime finishes. If you do, you learn nothing. If you are searched out, you will still learn. If this isn't the problem, then they might need their perception looked at as possibly being to low to teach.
Re: Tortured souls 01/28/2013 09:16 PM CST
Stunning is a massive down-turn to learning stealth on a critter. If you're having to stun them to hide, you're probably too low to hide au-natural (duh), and the debuff is pushing them below what you can learn from after you stun them.

Try hiding without your armor, just to lock it? Or maybe another critter for hiding; if you're a cleric (and why on earth would you hunt non-corp undead otherwise, ugh?) you're just going to have to struggle a lot with hiding, since you don't have any buffs. What I typically did, was put 2+ rotations of hiding into my combat routines, and train 5-6 weapons (and TM too), so that hiding stayed locked nearly the entire time I was in combat. Though at 30 ranks you should still be learning it at a primary rate.

Maybe a shadows scroll, and learn sorcery?

Note: this is not a plug for Genie or Elanthipedia or Mars Bars.
Re: Tortured souls 01/28/2013 09:20 PM CST
>>Stunning is a massive down-turn to learning stealth on a critter.

I don't think anything penalizing/debilitating a critter now diminishes your exp.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Tortured souls 01/28/2013 09:23 PM CST
>I don't think anything penalizing/debilitating a critter now diminishes your exp.

Oh? Then that's awesome. I had thought the debilitate penalty to learning was removed, but the stun/immobile penalties remained. If I'm wrong there, I apologize.

Re: Tortured souls 01/28/2013 10:25 PM CST
>I had thought the debilitate penalty to learning was removed, but the stun/immobile penalties remained.

I didn't get any exp from hiding a stunned opponents either. Used TC and jumped into hiding. Good escape route, but no exp.
Re: Tortured souls 01/29/2013 12:44 PM CST
> Hiding on stunned critters

Looks like this is the problem. If I stun them, I'm learning nothing. I tried Krooner's suggestion of removing armor, and that let me hide without stunning them - and magically I started learning. :)

Unfortunately, I don't want to leave my armor off while I run my combat script - they do still hit me occasionally. So I either need to find a new debilitator that doesn't stun them, or build in an armor-removal and re-wear into my script. Ugh.

A shadows scroll would be nice (especially if I had enough scholarship to read it - I doubt I do), but scrolls still seem hard to find for me. Oh and yes, this is with a Cleric.
Re: Tortured souls 01/29/2013 12:52 PM CST
What's your hiding at? There's Goblins and other mobs easier to hide on literally a 4-5 second run away. You can always go lock your stealths there, run to Souls, lock your combats, and then go relock your stealths.

Also, what kind of armor are you using? You could always go for a lighter type of armor if you plan on being stealthy. If you're having the problem now as a Cleric with your chosen armor type, you're probably going to continue having it as you move up the critter chain. I've got a black Chadatru-themed cloth armor set from the Ratha Paladin guild in my bank that I've used like twice on my Paladin that is just collecting dust, if you want it(for free). Trains light armor and a full set has a low stealth hindrance, if your armor is too hindering and you want it.
Re: Tortured souls 01/29/2013 12:52 PM CST
I'd suggest stepping back and getting hiding to at level, it shouldn't take too long.

What armor are you wearing? If its more than light you might consider it dropping down or reducing expectations of hiding training.

And isn't reading a scroll entirely MD based now? And I swear there was a shadows rune.

Re: Tortured souls 01/29/2013 01:19 PM CST

And I swear there was a shadows rune>>

It's a Dark Azurite runestone but if you're using holy mana you'll have to train sorcery up to use the rune.
Re: Tortured souls 01/29/2013 01:54 PM CST
>And isn't reading a scroll entirely MD based now? And I swear there was a shadows rune.

The feat to let you study cross-mana spell scrolls is based on scholarship and arcana. 100 scholarship, IIRC.

>What armor are you wearing? If its more than light you might consider it dropping down or reducing expectations of hiding training.

I'm currently wearing the following chain shirt, and generic storebought chain gloves/full helm.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Armor:Dwarven_chain_shirt

I guess swapping down to cloth or leather would be my best bet.

> Chadatru-themed cloth armor

That sounds really awesome. I would love to take you up on that offer. :) Where can I find you?
Re: Tortured souls 01/29/2013 02:06 PM CST
>>That sounds really awesome. I would love to take you up on that offer. :) Where can I find you?

I can meet you up in Riverhaven, if you're still around there hunting souls. You can shoot me an email at my play.net address or IM me at VidegeDR on AIM.