Ship rats 10/29/2012 01:23 PM CDT
It's extremely annoying that people camp in there, all day, and ruin the gen entirely for the entire ground.

I've been playing with noobs, and more often than not if I'm not the only one in there it's just as productive for me to log out and come back in a few hours as it is to hunt.

Frustrating.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Ship rats 10/29/2012 01:42 PM CDT

Have you tried any of the other low-lever grounds? I don't know if the spawn is as good, but there are usually less people in them at least.

Baearolt's wine cellar has a premie-only rat area, and there's also a rat area open to everyone in the abandoned farmhouse near there (spawn might be slow though).
Re: Ship rats 10/29/2012 01:59 PM CDT
Yeah, honestly I'd much rather the GMs focus about about well.... everything else, than the gen rat for ship rats. Was this even a real post?

- Buuwl
Re: Ship rats 10/29/2012 02:26 PM CDT
<<Yeah, honestly I'd much rather the GMs focus about about well.... everything else, than the gen rat for ship rats. Was this even a real post?

It sounds like same problem that occurs in every level of hunting ground. Someone is underhunting so that they can maintain 4 critters on them at once all the time. (And/or they hunt with poor scripts.)

This should change in 3.0-land from what I understand.

Nikpack
Re: Ship rats 10/29/2012 03:15 PM CDT
>Yeah, honestly I'd much rather the GMs focus about about well.... everything else, than the gen rat for ship rats. Was this even a real post?

Was yours?

I'm not aware of making any suggestions the GMs do anything. It looked to me like I was irritated and venting. Someone else made a suggestion. I'll try it. Thanks.

Re: Ship rats 10/29/2012 07:20 PM CDT
Yeah my post was real and a tad snarky, but come on ship rats? We're talkin bout ship rats?

- Buuwl
Re: Ship rats 10/29/2012 07:26 PM CDT
> Yeah my post was real and a tad snarky, but come on ship rats? We're talkin bout ship rats?

Dude, try scoping it out some time. People regularly tie up 4-5 rats in the not-premium area, for 5+ hours. I was serious saying I'm better off logging out entirely and waiting for them to just go away than I am trying to hunt.

Rats die too fast with anything over 0 ranks that you need a steady stream coming in to train up to 10-20 ranks, and I have yet to have success with gobs/hogs at anything below 20 ranks.

Re: Ship rats 10/29/2012 08:20 PM CDT
frogs in Riverhaven FTW

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Ship rats 10/29/2012 09:09 PM CDT
There's always the one room on Ratha that generates 1 rat at a time...
Re: Ship rats 10/29/2012 09:16 PM CDT
"There's always the one room on Ratha that generates 1 rat at a time..."

But he is fearless!

The bucket burbles suddenly as its contents begin to dissolve....

Suddenly it spits out some niniam field plate onto the floor.
Re: Ship rats 10/29/2012 09:21 PM CDT
<<Rats die too fast with anything over 0 ranks that you need a steady stream coming in to train up to 10-20 ranks, and I have yet to have success with gobs/hogs at anything below 20 ranks.>>

OK apparently this is a real complaint... so keep 4 on you, train armor, rotate stances to train parry shield and evasion, train stealths, and magic (if your a non barb), train foraging, appraisal and use the hunt command to train stalking and perception, and scouting if your a ranger.... when your armor/defenses is are at 20+ ranks (in about two hours) go to hogs/gobs. Start training weapons from zero ranks there, or whatever, I can't honestly believe I'm writing this... I feel like I've been trolled.

- Buuwl
Re: Ship rats 10/29/2012 09:28 PM CDT
...and thereby perpetuate the entire thing that ruins the hunting ground. Great idea? Is it really so confusing that I find the Crossings rats area to simply be frustrating because people do exactly what you just posted, which means no one else gets rats?

Re: Ship rats 10/29/2012 11:26 PM CDT
It's pretty much every hunting area with mediocre spawn. Hardly just a rate issue. If you don't have a blazing fast spawn rate, other players ruin hunting grounds for weapons training it's pretty much a fact.

Because everyone dances with 3-4 for hours.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Ship rats 10/30/2012 09:03 AM CDT
<It's pretty much every hunting area with mediocre spawn. Hardly just a rate issue. If you don't have a blazing fast spawn rate, other players ruin hunting grounds for weapons training it's pretty much a fact.

Exactly. It's a large, game-wide issue. Look at many of the same complaints from gryphon, dillo, or assassin hunters

Nikpack
Re: Ship rats 10/30/2012 01:11 PM CDT
I took one of my lower characters into rats last night and found one other person in there, and the spawn was more than enough for me to move a new weapon to 12 ranks. I also tried the premium area in there and was swarmed by rats, so there certainly wasn't a problem then.

The fest is in full gear though, so it may be a different situation if that wasn't on.
Re: Ship rats 11/02/2012 09:41 AM CDT
No one owns a room. If someone is tying up all the rats and won't kill them, go into their room and kill them yourself. Problem solved!
Re: Ship rats 11/02/2012 11:03 AM CDT
>>No one owns a room. If someone is tying up all the rats and won't kill them, go into their room and kill them yourself. Problem solved!

Not really, after you kill them and go back to your room killing it takes like 2 minutes to have to go back and do it again, while this works, it becomes high maintenance. 3.0 is right around the bend, apparently dancing with 4 forever will be a thing of the past, or they will get beat up quick and have to leave to get healed.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Ship rats 11/02/2012 11:46 AM CDT
>>apparently dancing with 4 forever will be a thing of the past, or they will get beat up quick and have to leave to get healed

As of right now, this isn't entirely accurate. You don't really fight 4 mobs at once to your own detriment. That was removed from the 3.0 model.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Ship rats 11/02/2012 01:19 PM CDT
>>As of right now, this isn't entirely accurate. You don't really fight 4 mobs at once to your own detriment. That was removed from the 3.0 model.

Ah ok, thanks for the update --- would you be willing to/can you share how dancing works now?

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Ship rats 11/02/2012 01:39 PM CDT
>Ah ok, thanks for the update --- would you be willing to/can you share how dancing works now?

I'm not really sure what is and isn't still subject to change. That said, right now fighting multiple critters seems to be similar to how it is now. Dancing with 4 doesn't seem any more dangerous than it would be in prime, at least at the moment.

However, I think the goal is to have it so that fighting 4 at a time gives you no more experience than fighting 3 at a time, i.e. defenses will move just as quickly with 2-3 as with 4. So it's not to your benefit to sit there with 4 critters on you while you work defenses. You actually don't lose anything by killing the critters as they attack you. Add in the fact that it takes a little longer to kill critters in 3.0, and thus you have more time for another mob to show up before you kill all the ones on you, it ends up working pretty well to just constantly attack.
Re: Ship rats 11/02/2012 01:51 PM CDT
>>Ah ok, thanks for the update --- would you be willing to/can you share how dancing works now?

I want to stress that I say this with a big glaring sign noting that things can change, I'm not a GM, and I'm trying to dance that fine line between what should and shouldn't be really talked about (aka: talking about generalities is fine, but specifics aren't).

My understanding of the situation right now is that combat 2.0 critters teach well beyond their combat skills, mainly because dev understands how "safe" people sometimes have to hunt beyond a certain point of the game. With one hit deaths going the way of the dodo in 3.0, two things happen.

1) It becomes safe to move up the ladder before you get that last bit of defense exp out of the mob you're currently hunting.
2) Because of 1, the range at which critters teach can scale down.

To me, this means is that there is potentially less "incentive" to sit around with 4 critters wailing on you in order to milk those last few ranks out. If anything, when you reach that point you'll most likely want to move on to hunting something new/closer to your skill. Since 3.0 won't have trying a new mob too soon result in instant death, people will also feel more empowered to test the waters and try things out.

Will people still dance? Probably. I personally don't think that people won't be able to do so in 2.0 but I think there is a notably lower need to do so, and the range at which you can will also discourage it a bit, as well.

>>However, I think the goal is to have it so that fighting 4 at a time gives you no more experience than fighting 3 at a time, i.e. defenses will move just as quickly with 2-3 as with 4.

I don't think I've ever really heard this, but I could have missed a post or chatter or two about it. I feel like I do lock faster with more mobs on me, but I'm also hunting yellow gremlins most of the time, and those guys tend to replace the recently killed ones at a reasonable clip.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Ship rats 11/02/2012 02:32 PM CDT
>>However, I think the goal is to have it so that fighting 4 at a time gives you no more experience than fighting 3 at a time, i.e. defenses will move just as quickly with 2-3 as with 4.

>I don't think I've ever really heard this, but I could have missed a post or chatter or two about it. I feel like I do lock faster with more mobs on me, but I'm also hunting yellow gremlins most of the time, and those guys tend to replace the recently killed ones at a reasonable clip.

I believe that this was mentioned this over chatter one day. Not sure if it's changed or not, as that was a while ago.