New low level critters 07/14/2012 02:41 AM CDT

I've always had character ADD. It is unusual for me to get a character past 30 without rerolling, and starting a new guild. I really love my newish barbarian, and I think I found a guild I have played before, but never really gave it a proper chance. Any who; I started thinking (After a few drinks, FYI I'am the Liquor) about rat and frog level critters in every province, or every other town. I feel constrained to stay in haven or crossing as a new character, and I know this is very much intended for actual new players.

I just feel as an experienced player who enjoys starting new characters I'd like the option to travel to another province or town, and have something viable to hunt at that level. I'm not talking about something major just rats, frogs, squirrels or even goblins given a different "skin" and placed in other areas. I'd love to go to a thick forest in theren and hunt oppossums, or in a basement in the mriss cabin and hunt sand toads.

If during the new player generator most new characters that weren't newbies were given a chance to choose where they went, and was given a viable creature ladder I think it could fill in more players in more provinces and towns in the game. I know this is a tall order and just something I figured was rattling in my head I'd put in a post. I think this would be a cool idea.

P.S.

I want to hunt oppossums, and have them have a special attack where you think they're dead and search them and than they bite you, and super cool oppossum armor.
Thanks.
Re: New low level critters 07/14/2012 03:43 AM CDT
Agreed. I've always wanted more low-level creatures in Shard -- it comes close with the boggles/jackals, but there are no rats (except for dark types) and nothing really to fill the gap between jackals and snowbeasts/gargs. And I might try out Theren sometime if there were a low-level ladder there.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: New low level critters 07/14/2012 08:27 AM CDT
I'd like to see more creatures in the 0-100 range personally. As is there's an almost straight line of 'Hunt these 1-3 critters to move up'.
Re: New low level critters 07/14/2012 09:43 AM CDT
I would also love to see Shard thrown in as another "starter" city. With the amount of services available and the fact that all the Guilds are there, it would make total sense. There would be some minor tweaking needed to make it totally viable for a complete newbie (gear exchange NPC, safe travel to ranger guild, DIR system, etc.)

System Announcement: The Night Sun has been snuffed. It's dark again. Now the scary stuff comes out.
Re: New low level critters 07/14/2012 10:16 AM CDT
>I'd like to see more creatures in the 0-100 range personally. As is there's an almost straight line of 'Hunt these 1-3 critters to move up'.

There are a ton of hunting areas in this range, the 3-4 that everyone hunts are just the most popular. I'll agree that more 0-30 critters could be used in certain areas, but there is a good ladder starting at 40-50+ in every province (except maybe P5).
Re: New low level critters 07/14/2012 10:20 PM CDT

I don't really wan GMs to code/use time to develope a critter you can level past in a day or two... In a perfect worl? Sure that would rock! Theres just so much I'd rather see happen than a rats area in Ratha.
Re: New low level critters 07/14/2012 10:25 PM CDT
the only thing i think is seriously lacking in or around this difficulty is a "construct" creature inbetween boggles and gargoyles. and that would probably be in the next folder up in difficulty.

As far as a critter ladder in theren, there are kelpies, wood trolls and such to hunt there on the relatively low end.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: New low level critters 07/15/2012 01:47 PM CDT
> seriously lacking in or around this difficulty is a "construct" creature inbetween boggles and gargoyles

You mean like the origami creatures?

- Tyr, player of

Grolig exclaims, "Silly Paladin!"
Re: New low level critters 07/16/2012 03:40 AM CDT
>>You mean like the origami creatures?

These do not cover the gap. They might go a little above boggles, but they do not nearly reach to gargoyles.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: New low level critters 07/16/2012 10:34 AM CDT
For the meantime, just train your weapons and defenses as high as possible on origami (around 60ish if I remember right), then use regular creatures to train defenses up to tackle gargs. I was taking gargs down like they were nothing even with 60 in 2HE.

Takes a bit to catch up the offenses to your defenses, but it just gave me more time to train skinning up in the meantime since NO constructs are skinnable until then. (honestly, I don't even see how a stone gargoyle is skinnable, but hey, I can't complain) Not to mention picking their boxes takes a good while going from boggles to them.
Re: New low level critters 07/16/2012 07:43 PM CDT
the origami creatures are actually under boggles. they are rat-level or thereabouts.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: New low level critters 07/16/2012 07:52 PM CDT
No, they aren't. There are two subsets, with one teaching up to 90 ranks easily.

- Tyr, player of

Re: New low level critters 07/16/2012 09:06 PM CDT
>http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Origami_Creature

Above rats.
Re: New low level critters 07/16/2012 10:11 PM CDT
> No, they aren't. There are two subsets, with one teaching up to 90 ranks easily

I can tell you after working with a lot of Empaths at these two locations.. both origami and boggles cap out at right about 60. Making the jump from 60ish to gargoyles is a pretty big gap for someone who's training at level.
Re: New low level critters 07/16/2012 10:55 PM CDT
If the origami out the window cap at 60, how did my young barb train there to at least 85?

- Tyr, player of

Re: New low level critters 07/16/2012 10:58 PM CDT
Good question. I just tried to train with a bulhawf there with 61 ranks two days ago and learned absolutely nothing.
Re: New low level critters 07/17/2012 12:23 AM CDT
We know about the construct gap, and once I get the guildfest shop released (getting closer) filling that gap will probably be moving closer to the top of my pile o' things to work on. I don't have a list, so much as a pile, unfortunately.

Melete

My old clock used to tell the time
and subdivide diurnity;
but now it's lost both hands and chime
and only tells eternity.
Re: New low level critters 07/17/2012 12:34 AM CDT
You should do what I do. I have a giant list. And then a to do list. And a "more stuff to do list". And a "to do list from the old computer". And then I just sorta pick stuff off them at random.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: New low level critters 07/17/2012 07:51 AM CDT
You both need dartboards.

System Announcement: The Night Sun has been snuffed. It's dark again. Now the scary stuff comes out.
Re: New low level critters 07/18/2012 03:42 AM CDT
>>Good question. I just tried to train with a bulhawf there with 61 ranks two days ago and learned absolutely nothing.

My Cleric trains HE/HT/ME/LT/Brawling/MB through the window at ~75 ranks, and I lock each weapon in under 15 minutes. Some are closer to 10. Defenses lock on under 20 minutes. The key is the two rooms out the window though.

~The Cleric... erm, if I had a Cleric~
Re: New low level critters 07/21/2012 08:31 AM CDT
>My Cleric trains HE/HT/ME/LT/Brawling/MB through the window at ~75 ranks, and I lock each weapon in under 15 minutes. Some are closer to 10. Defenses lock on under 20 minutes. The key is the two rooms out the window though.

Going to need to look into this - thanks for the info!
Re: New low level critters 07/23/2012 10:09 AM CDT
>>My Cleric trains HE/HT/ME/LT/Brawling/MB through the window at ~75 ranks, and I lock each weapon in under 15 minutes. Some are closer to 10. Defenses lock on under 20 minutes. The key is the two rooms out the window though.

So I wanted to adjust a statement I made recently. I am still learning and locking just a s quickly as I staid I was, but apparently it is at 55 ranks, not 75. Like all good adventurers, I seem to have over-exaggerated my skills. It seem to be slowing down any at all, but I wanted to edit myself so as to only speak to what I have witnessed, and not what I expect.