Bone Golem Invasion 12/31/2011 02:40 PM CST

The bone golem begins to advance on you!
The bone golem is still a distance away from you and is closing steadily.
>
>
The bone golem closes to pole weapon range on you!

>desc golem
A hideous amalgam of shattered, twisted, and fused bone, the fearsome hulk before you rises to the height of several Gor'Togs. Clearly no natural beast possesses a skeletal structure as horrific as this - with uneven limbs formed of irregular, contorted lengths of flesh-stripped bone. Its claws are incongruent and jagged, bearing the unmistakable crimson stain of dried blood. Only a Necromancer of considerable power and vileness could meld the deceased bodies of so many beasts into such a horrific >>construct<<.

>perc golem
>
You sense nothing special about a gargantuan bone golem. :(
Roundtime: 3 sec.

I think I may have posted on this while doing a quest with someone as well. Can we get these fixed for the future?
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 12/31/2011 03:52 PM CST
Only a Necromancer of considerable power and vileness could meld the deceased bodies of so many beasts into such a horrific construct.

hmm. SOMEONE's been busy. So who made 'em, now that Lyras is dead and gone?

:-)

Preces meae non sunt dignae;Sed tu bonus fac benigne;Ne perenni cremer igne [Dies Irae]
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 12/31/2011 04:01 PM CST
These actually aren't new - they're from Maelshyve's fortress - you need a cleric to get that far though so they've been forgotten from the Empath hunting ladder. I thought I had posted about them a while back but I doubt it was on the top of anyone's list. Since they were invading though (and in heavy numbers) I wish I could attack them!

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/RanikMap64d
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/01/2012 02:11 AM CST
<<they're from Maelshyve's fortress>>
They're from the Abyss which is in Shard, not Maelshyve's fortress by Haven.

Tachid smugly exclaims, "Die midget!"
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/01/2012 10:12 AM CST
Not sure about the smiley face but, this part I like:

>>Only a Necromancer of considerable power and vileness could meld the deceased bodies of so many beasts into such a horrific construct.

>>hmm. SOMEONE's been busy. So who made 'em, now that Lyras is dead and gone?

And, I've been going with it as far as what little I can do in game, as far as them being constructs, and should be set to being constructs, yes that's cool, definitely way above my empaths level of battling but I know there are some powerful empaths that could look at my main funny and cause a brain aneurism or some such thing and he would be dead-like, till the avenger or something else finished him off.

Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/01/2012 11:11 AM CST
Is there some standard that sets what makes a creature a construct? What makes it Undead or simply cursed? What defines whether it can/is both?
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/01/2012 11:19 AM CST
>>Is there some standard that sets what makes a creature a construct?

As far as I know, it's a construct if it is not nor has ever been alive.

>>What makes it Undead or simply cursed?

Undead were alive, then died, then became alive again, but in the bad way.

Cursed are just "evil" creatures and/or [extra-planar] demons.

>>What defines whether it can/is both?

I don't think there's a set metric. My only assumption is that you can't be an undead construct, which is why something like a bone golem might not be a legitimate construct. Bone golems, while described as a construct, just seem like a giant pile of skeletons lumbering about as one.
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/01/2012 11:24 AM CST
Those were my thoughts as well, but the whole topic of Undead and constructs had gotten me wondering about the whole established lore on the topic so I figured I'd post and see if anyone else could recall exactly what made them different from each other. In light of this discussion, would it be possible to get a more detailed explanation of the Undead (and their subsequent forms), this newer branch of "Constructs", and how they inter-relate?
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/01/2012 11:38 AM CST
>>In light of this discussion, would it be possible to get a more detailed explanation of the Undead (and their subsequent forms), this newer branch of "Constructs", and how they inter-relate?

AFAIK, if you're something dead becomes alive with non-holy-immortal-related-magic, it's undead. If something that was never alive becomes alive with magic, it's a construct. Depending on the intentions/mechanics/theories/etc behind the creation of the construct, it can or can be evil/cursed.
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/01/2012 11:49 AM CST
That makes sense. Have we ever gotten a better definition of the classifications of Undeath? I know there have been discussions previously but I don't recall anything definitive. By classifications I mean, skeletal, fleshy, etc.
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/01/2012 11:49 AM CST
Seems to me like it has a lot to do with what it is that's animating them. The driving force behind living and undead beings is life essence (in the case of the undead it has been corrupted and misused). Constructs, on the other hand, are driven by something else. This often means magic (which essentially makes them elaborate magical devices), but it could conceivably be something like steam power or something if the setting wanted to go that direction. It should be noted that, like living creatures, constructs can be either cursed or not cursed. Presumably those animated by necromantic or sorcerous magic are the cursed ones.

So on the subject the bone golem, the question becomes whether it's a pile of material animated by magic (construct), or a fabricated organism (since clearly it's not just a salvaged corpse) given 'life' through some misapplication of life essence (undead). I'd tend to think the former from the description.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/01/2012 12:06 PM CST
Bone golems are an amalgamation of skeletons assembled into a grotesque giant and given life by Necromancy. I don't see this falling under the construct umbrella, but that's just my opinion.
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/01/2012 12:14 PM CST
<<Bone golems are an amalgamation of skeletons assembled into a grotesque giant and given life by Necromancy. I don't see this falling under the construct umbrella, but that's just my opinion.>>

Depends on what you mean by "Necromancy". Do you mean strictly the magic consisting of a mixture of Life and something else? Then that would be a construct. Do you mean the practice of ritually infusing corpses with a corrupted Life Essence, which may or may not be assisted by the aforementioned magic? Then that would be undead.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/01/2012 12:17 PM CST
If the definition of Undead is "Re-Life", then I would say that the amalgamation of bones were never jointly alive as a single entity, thus disqualifying it from the definition of Undead leaving its only other option as Construct.

Now, if each once-living skeleton were to be raised separately and then they somehow formed together, each acting apart, I would have to view the abomination as a joint-minded Undead being.

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/01/2012 12:22 PM CST
>>I'd tend to think the former from the description.

I think the fact that it's made of bone is the issue.

I think there's a very awkward/interesting line between "this is a pile of bones from one skeleton being animated" and "this is a pile of bones from multiple skeletons being animated"
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/01/2012 01:11 PM CST
On Constructs:

This has been gone over before in some detail, but sadly, due to the excellent search ability of this place, and my excellent remembrance of terms used I failed in finding it [sarcasm was used].

What I can recall is that Constructs are Constructs because they aren't with a soul or spirit. The second that either or both of those exist in a being it CANNOT be a construct.

Bone Golem were made from dead material, but seem to be without that soul/spirit and thus should (by my understanding) have something.

The idea of steam powered, and mechanized items, should be considered a construct, not that I would want an empath to hunt all of our HE 2011 festival gifts, the clockwork spiders, but I would believe they to would be a construct.

Skeletons though and many other dead, have their previous spirits within them. Typically in a twisted manner, desperate for some freedom, I think I ran with that with my main for one of his big reasons for trying to destroy so many undead in the war with Lyras, because those undead still have something of their former selves earning for freedom, and an end from the wretched corruption the undeath were.

As far as cursed, uncursed, different forms of undead. From my understanding these are the following categories that currently exist within DragonRealms (bare in mind I am not a red-name):

Corporeal Undead: This is an undead with a body, it has substance (ghouls, zombies, arisen, and skeletons, mainly come to mind).
Incorporeal Undead This is an undead without a body, just a ghost or spirit (fiends, revenants, ghosts, spirits, souls, are things in-game that I've seen that seem to match this).
Cursed: This is a bit subjective, but something that seems to be anti-holy (that is something that is opposing to the gods) or something that is influenced by the negative aspect of the gods (this would mostly be things that are in Asketi's ride I would guess).
Animals: Whether mythical beasts, or classical monsters, or something a little bit more normal (gryphons, hogs, crocodiles, and leucros comes to mind).
Humanoid: Things that can mimic humans, thus they'd have armor and weapons, other then their hide, claws, and fangs (this would include goblins, ogres, orcs, and giants, as always others should exist).
Immortals Chosen: [This is how I describe the PC races] So human, elves, elotheans, Gor'Tog, yadda yadda yadda yadda (of note this should be broken down further into two groups, for why is it right to go out and grave robe a Throne City Thug, but not Leilond (sorry your name just popped into mind, hope its an honor if not, please tough it out).
Constructs: These were described above, but reputation is the route to memorization so: Entities without a soul/spirit, being somehow propelled and guided by just magic (things like golems, constructs, Ashu Hhinvi, and gargoyles).

[Once again not a red-name] -Shadow7988
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/01/2012 03:22 PM CST
Construct:
"What exactly qualifies as a construct? Any creature that is created by and controlled by an outside force, and has no independent will or life force of its own. This can include things like golems, machines, and inanimate objects that have been animated by magic. It does not include undead, although some creatures that may appear undead may actually be constructs." - Solomon

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Post:Well_Hello,_Dolly_-_10/17/2009_-_23:36:38

Undead:
"For both Empaths and Necromancers, the undead are essentially "alive" (they have a life force), but the specifics of the condition confound the issue a lot." - Armifer

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Post:Empathy_-_9/21/2010_-_18:33:24

"Vitality / "life force," the supernatural measure of how alive you are. It's the same thing that lets living shadows or fire elementals or a god be "alive" yet without biology as we know it.
The undead organism is dead, yet, through the Transference link, supernaturally alive. It's part of whole unnatural abominations upon Elanthia deal. " - Armifer

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Post:Animation_Power_-_5/17/2010_-_19:43:43_PM

"The animating force of Necromancer-created undead is an intentional misapplication of life energy. The corpse rises because it has a terrible, mutilated little core of life that has been warped such that it can animate what should, by nature and by the gods' design, be still. By the very definition of being undead, it's no longer really dead." - Armifer

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Post:Hunting_Undead%3F_-_1/28/2009_-_2:16:06

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/01/2012 03:41 PM CST
>They're from the Abyss which is in Shard, not Maelshyve's fortress by Haven.

Oops, my bad! I knew they were somewhere.
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/01/2012 04:51 PM CST
>>Bone Golem were made from dead material, but seem to be without that soul/spirit and thus should (by my understanding) have something.

Eh, I don't know if the latter half is entirely confirmed or not. I think part of the issue might be that it's hard to tell if the creature is accurately called a golem or if it was given the name because of how it looks thematically. I don't exactly know for certain if something is called X because that's OOCly correct or ICly correct to call it that way.
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/01/2012 10:39 PM CST
it seems confusing at times. As some of the in-game lore seems to contradict other lore that came along later.

For instance, you have tortured souls. Which are undead, but still have "souls", obviously <hence their "loot" is the occasional "soulstone". And you have death spirits, which are the spirits, or "souls" of the undead "brothers" in the case of the crossing <premie area> monastery area, you have other death spirits who were "created" by Sithsia <who is a necromancer who, along with farn's company>, helped erect the zaulfung stones to block the "evil" which later was revealed to be Maelshyve. However, those DS are in the mists near Leth Deriel. Then you have the Death spirits that inhabit the confide on ratha, and the ones in dunshade.

And then you have gargoyles, who originally were not constructs, and later "became" constructs <to give empaths an additional "thing" to hunt - which can no longer be harvested as they are now constructs - but which formerly Could be made into zombies and harvested and all sorts of necro goodness>. So.... it just depends on whichever GMs are in charge at the time whether something becomes undead or a construct or whatever, and just go with the flow. heh.
Being able to make a bone golem would be an interesting project though. Could maybe actually put those skulls and etc dropped by vipers to a "constructive" use...

Preces meae non sunt dignae;Sed tu bonus fac benigne;Ne perenni cremer igne [Dies Irae]
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/02/2012 02:24 AM CST
>>For instance, you have tortured souls. Which are undead, but still have "souls", obviously <hence their "loot" is the occasional "soulstone".

I do not know if this is correct. "Soul" could very easily be used metaphorically. Sometimes, if a young person gets into a car accident and dies, we say "that poor soul" without actually meaning they are a disembodied spirit now roaming the earth. Conversely, I do not think just because they are called "tortured souls" necessarily means they possess a soul, just like a crazed madman is not simply feeling very angry. It's a trick of language. That they drop soulstones is another issue entirely; Malkien has a soul, but he cannot use soulstones. This does not prove/disprove anything, IMO.

>>And you have death spirits, which are the spirits, or "souls" of the undead "brothers" in the case of the crossing <premie area> monastery area, you have other death spirits who were "created" by Sithsia <who is a necromancer who, along with farn's company>, helped erect the zaulfung stones to block the "evil" which later was revealed to be Maelshyve. However, those DS are in the mists near Leth Deriel. Then you have the Death spirits that inhabit the confide on ratha, and the ones in dunshade.

Same as above. I do not think calling them spirits be necessity means they have "souls" like player-characters. More like, what else do you call a floating undead apparition besides a spirit?
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/02/2012 06:09 AM CST
<<I do not think calling them spirits be necessity means they have "souls" like player-characters>>

some npcs though have some sort of soul - hence the thugs that "walk the starry road" in throne city.

<<And then there are the undead...
the souls that aren't willing to let go of this life and remain here even though their body is long gone.>>
<<It's little wonder that the souls of the Brothers elected to hang
around the blueberry fields after what was done to them, but they're just fine staying right there>>
-death and the soul:lecture-

also from "age info", liches are considered "undead" as well:

<<True agelessness is reserved for liches: powerful Necromancers who turn their talents inward and become self-animating undead.>> However, in so doing, they somehow give up their soul. <see Lyras>. How and when this will come about in terms of PCs, we don't know yet.

Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/02/2012 06:33 AM CST
>>some npcs though have some sort of soul - hence the thugs that "walk the starry road" in throne city.

I was not implying that only player characters have souls. Agonar and Gauthus and Kssarh are (usually) NPCs; they have souls.

I was simply pointing out that the presence of the word "soul" or "spirit" in their name does not mean they have souls. Perhaps they do, but the name alone (or that they drop "soulstones") is circumstantial.
Re: Bone Golem Invasion 01/02/2012 06:57 AM CST
<<Agonar and Gauthus and Kssarh are (usually) NPCs; they have souls.>>

well, 2 out of 3. :-)

::mutters something about being thrown out a window::