Blood Dryad/Nyad(s) Spawn rate 01/10/2016 02:09 AM CST
The spawn rate all across the forest of the night is beyond horrible just like countless other places in the beautifully designed and completely abandoned areas of DR.

Do people still wonder why no one ever branches out and everyone just largely uses the same critters over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

It's because nothing spawns and its boring as all heck. Game =/= boring. That should be game-design 101.

Maybe I'm the only one who wants combat when I'm out hunting. Everyone else just wants emptiness so they can juggle or perceive.

Maybe that's my whole problem with this game, I'm supposed to be more patient?

You wanna know how I stayed sane during the +15,000 hours it took me to get a character to circle 200?

I only ever went to places that everyone knows the spawn is set to 11 (as in higher than 10).

Should it be surprising that I don't want to follow that exact critter ladder again? When there's dozens of areas and critters I've never tried out?

But I don't know if I can do it, because there's really only two hunting rooms in this game. Spawn = 11 and Spawn = 0.000001

It should be obvious that there shouldn't be areas where its 2-5 minutes for one critter to fight and then another 2-5 minutes of nothing!

Thank you,
L

P.S. No Dryad's or Nyad's were killed in the making of this post. BECAUSE NONE SPAWNED.
Re: Blood Dryad/Nyad(s) Spawn rate 01/10/2016 06:56 AM CST
I agree with this. If you're past the 'I can only handle 1 of these and then have to go get healed' stage, you generally want 2/3 on you at all times just to account for the slow spawn. In most areas which aren't sand sprites or grass eels you're pretty likely to kill down to 1 before you get more.
Re: Blood Dryad/Nyad(s) Spawn rate 01/10/2016 03:15 PM CST
I'm going to pretend I read this: "Hey, I'm not sure spawn for this creature is really adequate for training. Could someone please look into it?"

And so I'm replying with this: I'll check on the nyads and dryads and adjust them if they look like they need it, which they probably do. Thanks for the heads up.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Blood Dryad/Nyad(s) Spawn rate 01/11/2016 10:59 AM CST
He's just frustrated, and used to backstabbing things to death at the rate of like 2000 per minute most likely :P
Re: Blood Dryad/Nyad(s) Spawn rate 01/11/2016 11:17 AM CST
Something else to consider with these older hunting grounds is that many of them are laid out in a linear path, which makes it more difficult for players to find critters and critters to find players. While I wouldn't advocate for changing an area drastically, it could be helpful in some instances to simply place barriers along the paths that limit where critters can spawn and make it easier for critters and players to connect.

<coughdirebearscough>

GENT
Re: Blood Dryad/Nyad(s) Spawn rate 01/11/2016 03:29 PM CST
I can't remap old hunting areas, but yes, that is a problem and one I usually try to circumvent when I make new hunting areas, ensuring that each room has 2-3 exits and that there is no "nexus" room, which causes a problem for spawn all around it. See: shipyard.

I can check on areas with poor spawn and adjust them, though. Dryads and nyads did get adjusted, their spawn was set with really low chance of a player finding them. They should gen around players now and much more often. Enjoy.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Blood Dryad/Nyad(s) Spawn rate 01/11/2016 05:08 PM CST
>I can check on areas with poor spawn and adjust them, though. Dryads and nyads did get adjusted, their spawn was set with really low chance of a player finding them. They should gen around players now and much more often. Enjoy.

As a general, why is critter spawn even varied? Why don't all critters spawn 4 per hunter and move through hunting areas at a reasonable rate?
Re: Blood Dryad/Nyad(s) Spawn rate 01/11/2016 05:24 PM CST
>As a general, why is critter spawn even varied? Why don't all critters spawn 4 per hunter and move through hunting areas at a reasonable rate?

I suppose the distinction between swarmy and not-swarmy critters made more sense before the engagement cap. That said, isn't 4 citters supposed to be balanced to kill you?

Your search-fu is pig dung!
Re: Blood Dryad/Nyad(s) Spawn rate 01/11/2016 05:30 PM CST
>>As a general, why is critter spawn even varied? Why don't all critters spawn 4 per hunter and move through hunting areas at a reasonable rate?

older DR is older and had different ideas about things.

FWIW I like the newer mechs (drop four per player near those players) above the others, but it's silly to hold current GMs accountable for past gameplay setups. Heck, I wouldn't blame the older GMs either since they just happened to have a different strategy in general.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Blood Dryad/Nyad(s) Spawn rate 01/11/2016 06:08 PM CST
IIRC, keeping critter spawn in check was a resource issue. I want to say around DR 2.0 critters were changed, but it could have been unrelated to that.

GENT
Re: Blood Dryad/Nyad(s) Spawn rate 01/11/2016 06:25 PM CST
Back in the days when players had a Multiple Opponent skill, I'm sure spawning rates needed to be varied and different.
I'm glad they got rid of this skill. I often found it the most difficult of all skills to train.

Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend.

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Re: Blood Dryad/Nyad(s) Spawn rate 01/11/2016 07:11 PM CST
Most old hunting areas were never balanced for 4 v 1 (engagement caps varied per creature, MO penalties varied per creature, people didn't demand 4 v 1 all the time due to how combat was balanced etc). There's also a desire to make some less swarmy hunting areas, though they almost never work out because players don't want to use them that way and the mechanics don't support it as well as we'd like.

Otherwise older hunting areas just weren't really designed with modern conventions in mind. These days we put more of a premium on planning for how creatures will move through areas and find players. Sometimes older areas area VASTLY larger than they need to be (Either due to smaller populations in each hunting areas or just because they were too big to start with) and sometimes it gets really weird in how the hunting areas are laid out (With hidden creature only rooms and short cuts).

Given an infinite amount of resources I'd love to rebuild all the old hunting areas and creatures to modern standards but it's a monumental task so we tend to do minor, quick, updates to areas as players flag them as problematic or occasionally someone will have a desire to overhaul a specific area to more significant degree but it's not usually a small undertaking.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Blood Dryad/Nyad(s) Spawn rate 01/12/2016 08:56 AM CST
I don't know what it's like under the hood, but wouldn't just setting all critter spawn to being equal fix this? And make all critters spawn in the room with the hunter?

Yes, some places are still linear so wandering critters may not find hunters as readily, but I think one of the biggest detriments to training is critters that don't spawn enough.
Re: Blood Dryad/Nyad(s) Spawn rate 01/12/2016 08:57 AM CST

Also, when was the engagement cap set to 4?
Re: Blood Dryad/Nyad(s) Spawn rate 01/12/2016 09:09 AM CST
>>I don't know what it's like under the hood, but wouldn't just setting all critter spawn to being equal fix this? And make all critters spawn in the room with the hunter?

Yeah... it doesn't work that way.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Blood Dryad/Nyad(s) Spawn rate 01/12/2016 01:23 PM CST
>Also, when was the engagement cap set to 4?

~April 10, 2009 depending on the instance.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:New_Creature_AI_-_4/10/2009_-_1:44:40

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Blood Dryad/Nyad(s) Spawn rate 01/12/2016 05:09 PM CST
I totally remember being able to break that cap with Lyras's minions, Siren's Call and Piercing Whistle. I think I managed about 14 on me at one time, although the ones past the fourth just kept retreating and hanging out at missile range. Siren's Call would generate crazy amounts of spawn on the already fast spawning undead, Piercing Whistle would force engagement of all undead in the room, and Siren's Call would further force them to stay in the room so they couldn't break engagement. Fun times.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Blood Dryad/Nyad(s) Spawn rate 01/12/2016 07:18 PM CST
FWIW I loved MO. Don't get me wrong. I love the new mechanics and don't want it changed en toto. I was an MO junky and being able to take on 10+ critters at level as a barbarian was an adrenaline pumping experience to see that you came out alive.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: Blood Dryad/Nyad(s) Spawn rate 01/12/2016 08:58 PM CST
While the MO penalty is much lower these days, it's still there. You impose MO penalty with Tactics skill and negate it with Defending.

Your search-fu is pig dung!