Justice Zones that don't make sense 01/14/2014 03:19 PM CST
Can some of the hunting grounds in Ratha that are also Justice zones (Celps in the ABANDONED house, Dobeks in Urrem'tier's temple) be converted to reflect their more evident lawlessness? I find the notion of city guard patrolling these places that are overrun by dangerous creatures to be kind of silly, considering, for example, that Hatchlings in Throne Cities back alleys are running around a non-justice zone.
Re: Justice Zones that don't make sense 01/14/2014 03:46 PM CST
>>Can some of the hunting grounds in Ratha that are also Justice zones (Celps in the ABANDONED house, Dobeks in Urrem'tier's temple) be converted to reflect their more evident lawlessness?

I don't think these areas are necessarily lawless as much as they are dangerous.

>>I find the notion of city guard patrolling these places that are overrun by dangerous creatures to be kind of silly, considering, for example, that Hatchlings in Throne Cities back alleys are running around a non-justice zone.

I don't know if TC is the best example, given that the lack of justice there as a whole is something the GMs hope to address someday.

Anyway, I don't think that areas need to be justice (or not) consistently in order to show that one area should/shouldn't be justice (or non-justice). Some critter areas in Dirge have justice, while out the east gate of Crossing doesn't. Does this mean the system isn't set up properly, or that Dirge cares about their miserable shanty-land differently than Crossing cares about their miserable shanty-land?

IMO, it might be interesting if justice could eventually become more than just a binary setting. I assume the general issue with justice zones is that people can't use certain attacks without risking charges (like some AoEs), not that the area has justice at all.

For example, towns might have less issue with someone using a dangerous attack in a dangerous part of town than, say, murdering fellow adventurers or casting sorcery.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Justice Zones that don't make sense 01/14/2014 03:55 PM CST
There's already a third type, like Horse Clan, but I'm not entirely sure how that operates.

But take the Old Rats Tavern, where Swain are. Murdering PC's, using AoE, and using Necromantic magic is a no go here, because it's justice, but literally standing in front of the bar tender you can murder as many Swains as you feel like. It just seems odd that many parts of the land are set like this; no AoE, but yeah, go ahead and kill all the over run critters you feel like.
Re: Justice Zones that don't make sense 01/14/2014 03:55 PM CST
Go to the most third world part if any city in the US you can think of.

Fire off an RPG, a bomb, or grenade. Let me know what happens.
Re: Justice Zones that don't make sense 01/14/2014 04:24 PM CST
>>There's already a third type, like Horse Clan, but I'm not entirely sure how that operates.

I was thinking about this, but it's not really a third type, AFAIK.

The "there is a special justice setup here" messaging is more about how they respond to certain acts (which I think is just theft?), not what things do/don't count as crimes.

>>But take the Old Rats Tavern, where Swain are. Murdering PC's, using AoE, and using Necromantic magic is a no go here, because it's justice, but literally standing in front of the bar tender you can murder as many Swains as you feel like.

While I see how that seems like a "this makes no sense" hiccup, maybe think of it more in an IC sense? Why is Ratha so apathetic toward swains being beaten senseless? Maybe it's because they're so drunk and disorderly that them being beaten to death for acting so stupid is something Ratha is comfortable with, for whatever reason.

>>It just seems odd that many parts of the land are set like this; no AoE, but yeah, go ahead and kill all the over run critters you feel like.

I agree with this sounding stupid, but I'd look at it as another case of societies in Elanthia being fickle, arbitrary, and occasionally having stupid rules, as opposed to game oversights.

I mean, opening holes into elemental planes and the plane of probability are apparently perfectly fine to do, too, for some ungodly reason, but casting Sorcery (which is identifiable by looking really scary) is forbidden or else!

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.