17) a fuligin umbral moth
18) a fuligin umbral moth
19) a fuligin umbral moth
20) a fuligin umbral moth

To the northeast, east:
21) Hunter Y

Roundtime: 8 sec.
R>

I'm not sure critter v. critter engagements are functioning correctly, every time I don't get spawn for a while I see something like this. I'm sorry I can't narrow it down more, not sure if it's the avenger or MANIPULATE.
Re: Empath/Critter Spawn Wonkiness 02/03/2021 06:24 AM CST
My ranger spawn will also tie up a lot of critters, so I think it's the avenger.

~Hunter Hanryu
>I would like to avoid the collection of broken dreams and sorrow that is the Ranger guild.~Agalea
Re: Empath/Critter Spawn Wonkiness 02/03/2021 09:09 AM CST
I haven't noticed any issue with Rangers' tree buddies though I've only seen them in hunt a couple times.

Avenger alone can only engage four critters, it can't deprive several other hunters of spawn for an extended period of time. I'm inclined to think it's something wrong with manipulate, or with non-pet critters engaging other critters?
Re: Empath/Critter Spawn Wonkiness 02/03/2021 10:44 PM CST
I've seen this happen with AF spawns as well, in onyx gargs and warklins. Not sure if the critter matters.

I wonder if Necro pets do this as well? (I'm not sure if they are related, behind the scenes).

Best,
Re: Empath/Critter Spawn Wonkiness 02/04/2021 06:27 AM CST
Can confirm one ranger + spawn could hold at least 15 (probably 16) in an area for extended period, at least as of a couple of months after the change. Haven't re-tested recently.
Re: Empath/Critter Spawn Wonkiness 02/04/2021 07:21 AM CST
To be super clear about my experience.

If I cast my spawn, it will engage 4 critters. These 4 critters will not be "subtracted" from the spawn available to everyone else. However, the spawn will also keep as many as 12 non-engaged critters just milling about the room. These extra 12 will indeed be "subtracted" from the critters available to everyone else.

I've experienced the same behavior with empath pets, but from the "hey who took all my critters" side.

~Hunter Hanryu
>I would like to avoid the collection of broken dreams and sorrow that is the Ranger guild.~Agalea
Re: Empath/Critter Spawn Wonkiness 02/04/2021 11:50 AM CST
>the spawn will also keep as many as 12 non-engaged critters just milling about the room

I see. Seems like something that needs to be fixed with spawn.
Re: Empath/Critter Spawn Wonkiness 02/04/2021 01:21 PM CST
>>If I cast my spawn, it will engage 4 critters. These 4 critters will not be "subtracted" from the spawn available to everyone else. However, the spawn will also keep as many as 12 non-engaged critters just milling about the room. These extra 12 will indeed be "subtracted" from the critters available to everyone else.

This clarification helps. I'll investigate again.

GM Grejuva
Re: Empath/Critter Spawn Wonkiness 02/05/2021 06:46 AM CST
>>If I cast my spawn, it will engage 4 critters. These 4 critters will not be "subtracted" from the spawn available to everyone else. However, the spawn will also keep as many as 12 non-engaged critters just milling about the room. These extra 12 will indeed be "subtracted" from the critters available to everyone else.

Hopefully fixed. Try again sometime?

GM Grejuva