Prev_page Previous 1
2he and shield penalty under 3.0 10/22/2012 07:59 PM CDT

Someone that seemed to know a lot told me that swinging a two-hander while wearing a shield is going to greatly effect the 2he. Does anyone know about this penalty, or heard anything about it?
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 10/22/2012 08:23 PM CDT
>>Jwoodward: Someone that seemed to know a lot told me that swinging a two-hander while wearing a shield is going to greatly effect the 2he. Does anyone know about this penalty, or heard anything about it?

Last I heard, there is supposed to be a penalty to both the weapon and the shield when using a two-handed weapon while blocking with a shield. I don't know how big the penalty is, however.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 10/22/2012 08:29 PM CDT

There was a discussion in the Paladin folders somewhat recently about it. Using a two-handed weapon and a shield will penalize both the weapon and the shield (so parry). I can't say about greatly effecting it, but it should produce an effect.
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 10/22/2012 08:56 PM CDT
The hindrance will apply to both weapon and shield use, I believe.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/05/2012 04:02 PM CST
2 hander RT is going up a little, so I have reduced the shield penalty as compensation. Paladins will have little to worry about here, as they get very low hindrance scores on shields. Everyone else will see his or her OF reduced by a few percent, depending on the shield hindrance.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/06/2012 12:31 AM CST

Has there been any decision on if a pike/halberd will have as large of a shield penalty.

I thought I remember some discussion about those not having as large of a penalty as say a maul or greatsword, because while the game does classify them as two handed, they are very often seen with a shield.

Hopefully I'm not the only one who remembers this.
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/06/2012 10:31 AM CST
Didn't he just say shield penalty isn't going to be as large because instead we're getting hit by larger RTs?

Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/06/2012 10:50 AM CST

>Didn't he just say shield penalty isn't going to be as large because instead we're getting hit by larger RTs?

I'm just trying to ask if pike is being treated exactly the same as 2hb, 2he, because the original plan was that it would not be.
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/06/2012 12:59 PM CST
>I'm just trying to ask if pike is being treated exactly the same as 2hb, 2he, because the original plan was that it would not be.

Your correct, I assumed from how it was written it would be for all two-handed weapons, but we are in the 2HE section arean't we.

Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/06/2012 03:13 PM CST

>Your correct, I assumed from how it was written it would be for all two-handed weapons, but we are in the 2HE section arean't we.

Yes we are and his post did not specify 2he or 2hb just 2 handers... so my question still remains.

While this might be the 2he folder, since it directly responds to Kods post here, I decided to reply here.

If you'd like to copy everything from here and make a new post under pikes, have at it.
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/15/2012 12:41 PM CST
It was said at one point that the penalty will be less for certain weapons like pikes; Still a penalty not as big. Not sure if that still the case.

The Light is Crimson through the Darkness.
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/15/2012 09:40 PM CST
Right now it will be a small penalty (to offense and defense) for 2 handed pikes and staves, and a bit larger of a penalty for 2 handed swords and blunts.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/16/2012 01:05 AM CST
With all these swapping of what weapons do what, is there any thought to let players reallocate their skills?

What was true in 2.0 isnt anymore, and I for one would probably place my THE skill into Pikes, and only picked THE cause it was a 'superior' skill to be honest until recently:(
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/16/2012 01:31 AM CST
>> What was true in 2.0 isnt anymore, and I for one would probably place my THE skill into Pikes, and only picked THE cause it was a 'superior' skill to be honest until recently:(

Hmm. That's part of the beauty of DR. You can always change weapons. It's sort of like if you obtain a fancy new ME and you only trained HE, you have the opportunity to train ME and use that weapon now. Sort of the opposite of Gemstone IV where you are completely stuck.

That being said, I'm 99% sure they will not allow skill swapping because an overpowered weapon is getting a down tweak. That would open the door for everyone wanting to change their skills every time a change doesn't go their way.
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/16/2012 01:38 AM CST
While I can agree, how often do these world changing events take place? I mean..if your restructing so much, I feel you should get to repick a bit. Will spellcasters get to repick their spells?

How are skills different?

shrug
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/16/2012 01:48 AM CST
They're never going to let you just move all your ranks in A to B because you now decided you want B.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/16/2012 02:00 AM CST
I understand its probably not likely but

I get to go from being a fire mage to a lighting mage, but I cant go from using a great sword to a pike?

In the case of A and B, if defining items of what makes A and B function change significantly, like spells are, then I think we should get to determine that as well. Again, I realize theres no chance that would happen, but its a bit hypocritical I think.
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/16/2012 02:19 AM CST
>>I get to go from being a fire mage to a lighting mage

This comparison is more like deciding you like greataxes instead of claymores. You're not really jumping into an entire concept of magic as much as shuffling the stats around. Fire and Lightning mages function using the same skills.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/16/2012 02:35 AM CST
I guess thats one way to look at it. I see fire, lighting, etc as investments into a type of damage, with the decision between a fire shard or a fire ball being like comparing a great sword to a great axe. Now granted, this is just the flexibility around TM being a singular skill. But i feel with the rather massive changes that its strange to keep people bound to strategic choices they made years ago that are no longer accurate/relevant, and if someone goes to sleep one night being a chain lighting mage and wakes up another being a ice mage, then that makes as much sense to me as someone switching from THE to THB or Pikes, etc.
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/16/2012 03:32 AM CST
what I WOULD recommend though if you DO want to change weapons, do it now and work on that other weapon. BEFORE grandfathering comes into play.

<the player whose prime thief is going to be stuck with having brawling as secondary weapon because of the <insert curse> skill combine of LE and ME - there's just not enough time to play in 2 instances>

An arisen dummy zombie bellows, "You will all be ssslaughtered!"
>
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/16/2012 07:38 AM CST
>how often do these world changing events take place

Every 7-10 years? It's not a daily thing. And most of the details have been known for a while, at least broadly.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/16/2012 08:55 AM CST
Regardless of whatever happens, I will always cherish the choices I've made in bringing up my character. For better or worse, I've come to know and love the skills I've trained and wouldn't forsake them even if they ended up being inferior in the grand scheme of things. After all, at the very least my character will be unique :P

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/16/2012 12:04 PM CST
If you read every forum post...sure. I for one didnt know about Pikes and Shields. I'm sure if I specifically asked myself that question and went to research it, certainly I would find the answer, but I never knew that was even a consideration and GM posts are scattered throughout.

I suppose the point being is..if you change the world once ever decade, then the idea of having someone redistribute certain things seems pretty fair, like is being done to spells for instance. Frankly when I started, Pikes were kind of terrible, there was no good strategic offering for them. After new smithing, they became nice but in general the reasons to switch to them from THE seemed pretty small. Now there seems to be some clearer strategic choices between weapons, without one simply being 'better' than everything else. Thats amazing of course, and my only point is the same change in meta is occurring in spells, and I feel that a change in one should allow for a change in the other.

I dont expect it of course. I'm not debating my point to 'convince' anyone, I realize its far too late in the process for it, but it would have been a nice consideration.
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/16/2012 12:49 PM CST
>I dont expect it of course. I'm not debating my point to 'convince' anyone, I realize its far too late in the process for it, but it would have been a nice consideration.

It was considered. And eventually dismissed by GMs. They didn't want to go that route.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/16/2012 04:33 PM CST

Aside from time wasted trying to backtrain a skill, something that actually happens faster than if you trained it from the start, you loose little to nothing by having one weapon become slightly worse and one slightly better.

Spells are a more permanent investment. Not only that their functions and systems are completely different. When completely rewriting a system there is a chance something breaks if you don't reset everyone. So its probably in the best interest to keep things running right by simply resetting the spells.

Very many times a spell has been rewritten, reworked, and changed in its entirety to something else. When this has happened, noone has gotten a free respec or the spell removed or gained back. The only times spell resets have happened was during drastic global changes to the spell system. Well save for that one time that noone ever remembers anymore.

Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/16/2012 08:34 PM CST
Parry/evade when you're using your two-handed mirror flamberge of dewm. Also, keep in mind a defensive penalty isn't going to be nearly as lethal in 3.0 as it is now.

All things considered, I would personally love to have HE over 2HE as my primary melee skill, but that's mostly for dual whirl and not because I'm concerned about min-maxing.
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/16/2012 08:41 PM CST
<<When this has happened, noone has gotten a free respec or the spell removed or gained back.>>

not free, but people have, for a long time, had the option of "forgetting" the spell up in throne city for a price. There has never been an opportunity to do the same with weapons.

An arisen dummy zombie bellows, "You will all be ssslaughtered!"
>
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/16/2012 11:22 PM CST
Spell wipes usually do not happen unless they are unavoidable. It's less about "being fair" and more about "the data is now garbage and deleting it is expedient." I can think of only a single time in my tenure on staff that I've okayed (and been okayed) removing a spell for something other than a technical problem.

Beyond those incredibly rare events, MUs are expected to roll with it when things change under their feet.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/16/2012 11:33 PM CST
My general issue with back training is generally you are training like 1-2 skills while doing it generally because your skills are so far progressed what your hunting.

I'm not sure if this is accurate, but with the melee mastery/ranged mastery, if that could help offset starting a skill somewhat cold turkey (as I understand it is weighted into the accuracy formula) that would be nice.

Derailing the conversation with a Tangent:

I'm all for abstraction of skills and then choosing 'perks'. Take Song of Ice and Fire (green ronin table top system). All melee combat falls under one skill; fighting. Dagger, sword, great sword, your natural fighting power is all related. Jamie Lannister with a knife is insanely lethal, even if he does not train in knife fighting. That said Jamie Lannister with a sword is a TERROR.

Mechanically Jamie has lots of fighting and picks perks that make his fighting with particular (favored) weapons better. Those perks are generally thematic and weapon specific, but if Jamie had to switch, he would not be caught without his pants down.

In DR, we generally dont have that. For whatever reason fighting with a one handed big hammer is entirely different from a big two handed hammer. Meanwhile all attack magic relies off one skill. So..why is flinging a fireball not different enough from calling down a lighting bolt to demand a new skill? Well cause..that be silly. I frankly look at the array of weapon skills the same way, and really hope that in DR 4.0 they take another step towards decentralizing what skill your good at from ranks and to perks that you pick (similar to a spell caster and spells). I see elements of an idea like this in barbarian expertise and magic tradition perks.
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/17/2012 09:15 AM CST
>>My general issue with back training is generally you are training like 1-2 skills while doing it generally because your skills are so far progressed what your hunting.<<

If this is the case, then you're doing it wrong. Sure, you may want to backtrain quarterstaff and staff slings, but if you're not also training a few other armors that you neglected, magics, foraging, escaping, or any of the other skills, then backtraining really stinks. Do you WANT to train HP and LP on your halfling ranger? No, but why not add as many other skills to make it worthwhile?

Elvis has left the building.
Re: 2he and shield penalty under 3.0 11/17/2012 12:35 PM CST
Oh I train 3 armors, and every skill I can cause..why wouldnt you? DR is built to reward you for training skills you would never use nor care to use. I would prefer to only wearing heavy plate as a paladin, but why would i give up free tdps?

Its probably what I see as the greatest weakness of the TDP system.

On the other hand I train 4 weapons (3 melee, 1 ranged) based off how those weapons matched my playstyle. When weapons and playstyle interactions change rather drastically, I feel that should warrant some consideration for a 'respec'. Magic Users will get it, You will also have the option with your TDPs, so I see the exclusion of weapons from that thought process as strange.
Re: Weapon Respec 11/17/2012 03:15 PM CST
>>Rewyn: With all these swapping of what weapons do what, is there any thought to let players reallocate their skills?

>>Rewyn: Magic Users will get it, You will also have the option with your TDPs, so I see the exclusion of weapons from that thought process as strange.

Magic users will be required to re-choose their spells. There's no way around this given the sweeping changes to the spellbooks and spell slots. They don't get to simply move their magic ranks from one skill to another. (I'm not talking about new magic skills, which are derived from your current skills or grandfathered to circle. That applies to any new skill, including weapon skills.)

If you were going to go down this route, you might as well let people redistribute their ranks among all of their skills, but I don't think that would be good for game balance.

That being said, you do get a limited weapon "do-over" in the sense that if you trained two skills that are merging into one, the ranks from one of those skills will go into your weapon bonus pool, boosting the learning rate of all weapons. If you did not train any "redundant" skills, you're really getting a bonus in effective ability, since you will be able to use weapons that you did not train. (For example, if you have trained pikes but not halberds, you'll also be able to use halberds with the same level of proficiency.)

>>Rewyn: Will spellcasters get to repick their spells? How are skills different?

First of all, guild's spellbooks are being completely rewritten, so many of the spells that you may have chosen will no longer exist. Others don't do the same thing. (For example, Holy Warrior currently provides 60 extra stance points, but in 3.0 it will bless your weapons and buff defenses.) Still other spells will not have even existed when you made those choices.

Moreover, the way spell slots are calculated is being redone, and spells will not cost the same number of slots. In short, there is no way to avoid a spell respec for magic users given the sweeping changes that will take place under Magic 3.0.

On the other hand, current weapon skills will still exist under 3.0 and will continue to do what you expect them to do. (There are some skills that are merging, but the functionality will still be there.) For example, the Twohanded Edged skill still governs the use of two-handed edged weapons. That's not to say that Combat 3.0 won't change perceptions of which skills are desirable to train, but the fact remains that the changes to the weapon skillset aren't on par with the changes to magic. It can also be argued that we have been warned about these changes for at least two years, so if you've changed your mind about whether it's worthwhile to train pikes, you've had the chance to act on that.

There is another difference as well: spell slots. The magic system is a sort of hybrid system where you have magic skills and spell slots. The magic skills govern how well you can use the spells that you selected for your spell slots.

You can think of the weapon system as a combination of weapon skills and weapons, where the weapon skills govern how well you can use the weapons. However, it is the finite nature of these spell slots and the fact that they cannot be easily cleared that sets magic apart. If you have 10 spell slots, you can only allocate those once. It is possible to unlearn spells, but it costs TDPs if you want unlearn more than one spell in 180 days. On the other hand, right out the gate, you can choose to use every available weapon if you want, and you can instantly switch weapons (within the same weapon skill) without any kind of penalty except the monetary cost of acquiring those weapons.

>>Teveshszat: They're never going to let you just move all your ranks in A to B because you now decided you want B.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Weapon Respec 11/17/2012 03:56 PM CST
The core issue here is a few fold:

1) You should have known and changed. If you have been gone from this game for some time, its a bit hard to expect someone to come back and go through hundreads of posts to figure out changes. I have been pretty adamant about reading elantheapedia and the forums to catch up, but until a recent reference to Pikes, I never knew about its intended role. Its a tad unfair to expect a community to monitor things as they are posted by Simutronics. Most gaming companies strive to make design direction posts roll up to a 'top' level somehow, cataloging them, and then centralizing that information.

2) There is a split in philosophy over how you attack with spells vs how you attack with a weapon that I find a bit interesting. Utilizing a bastard sword in one hand (HE) takes an ENTIRELY different skill from a bastard sword in two hands (2HE). Utilizing a lighting bolt called down form the sky uses the same skill set as flinging a fire ball at an entirely different vector.

I suppose my issue is that, I agree more so with the TM design approach. Its far more flexible and less penalizing, but in respect to this argument im less saying "you should let us respec cause I made a bad choice" and more "Boy, wouldnt it be nice if we took a similar approach to designing weapon skills, armor skills, etc, and then these sorts of things would be moot?".

I mean lets take a second and ignore what we have had DR ingrain into our minds for so many years(i.e our paradigm).

Shields are one skill; not three for large/medium/small shields. Its vague
We all agree hiding and stalking are really one skill, with different applications. Its vague
TM is the application of targeting attack magic (vague)
No we dont 'over' vague things, there isnt one magic skill called 'magic' but at the time, we end up with a wide variety of weapon skills which as handled in the system, dont feel quite right. I refer back to Jamie Lannister (who hasnt read SoIF at this point?)

He trained his entire life with knightly weapons, but I'm damn sure if i gave him a war hammer, he would be deadly all the same. He wouldnt like it or be able to work at peak efficiency with it (his "feats" were spent elsewhere), but he isnt sitting there scratching his head wondering how a warhammer works.

The current system in DR means if a barbarian who has mastered every weapon in the system but one picks up a new weapon, he currently is scratching his head wondering which side to hold it from. I BELIEVE the 'melee' mastery skill may upset this somewhat, but until Testing is out its a bit difficult to say.

Either way I suppose my preference would be to reduce the skills down further than even what was proposed, but its an excellent step.

And just to step back from my soap box, I have ZERO complaints about 3.0 as compared to what we have today; its a great step forward, and provides some lines of logic I had only wished were pursued further.
Re: Weapon Respec 11/17/2012 05:42 PM CST
While there is only one skill for targeting magic, PM was broken up into 5 different skills that each govern a type of spell. So just because you can cast a good shield on yourself, doesn't mean you can disable an opponent equally well unless you have trained both warding and debilitation together. While damaging spells may use the same skill to aim the spell, the magic skillset itself was broken up to be more like the weapon skillset.

Stats and spells need a respec because how they fundamentally work is being changed. The same can't be said for any skill including the weapon skillset. As has been said many times already, allowing people to change bits from skill A to B would be very bad for the game.

>>I BELIEVE the 'melee' mastery skill may upset this somewhat, but until Testing is out its a bit difficult to say.

Not really that difficult to say. It is exactly what the mastery skills are going to do at release. If you really want to use pike instead of THE under 3.0, but don't want to stop your normal hunting to backtrain, then you could wait till it is released and add it into your normal combat routine.

There is also something you should keep in mind about this too. It has been announced that they are slowing down how fast skills move from 0-100. So if it were me I would at least try to get my first 100 ranks before 3.0 is released, after that it should be fairly easy to use at level, and you should not have to backtrain in another hunting area.

Now with all that said, if you are not trying to get this to actually happen, and not trying to change people's minds then what is the point in continuing to post the same thing over and over for days in multiple threads?
Re: Weapon Respec 11/18/2012 01:19 AM CST
Not to continue an argument, cause I dont think it is one, but what you said about magic skills is actually a pretty excellent thing that I feel I was implying but like, if weapon skills were like:

Melee Mastery General skill with melee weapons (to hit)
Close Quarters Maneuvers Control based attacks ideal for smaller weapons or the pommels of larger weapons
Agile Maneuvers For maneuvers & feats to gain tactical advantage over enemies
Overpowering Maneuvers For maneuvers & feats to deliver crushing blows to enemies
Ranged Mastery General skill with ranged weapons (bows, crossbows)
Thrown Mastery General Skill with ranged weapons (Thrown)
Sharp Shooting Skill with feats long range (Pole Attacks) and high accuracy maneuvers
Trick Shooting Skill with feats with inhibiting and other strategic attacks
Close Range Mastery Skill and feats with close range attack options, range control
Expertise Barbarian only skill for feats and maneuvers (yadda yadda, something for Barbs)

Anyhow, thats just the 'loose idea'. Basically you would have all maneuvers teach between one or more of the secondary skills, and make combat more based off what your using and the attack option chosen. So more maneuvers and strategic options (note: not the old combo idea!). So two different players utilizing the same weapon (A great sword for instance) might use it in totally different ways.

Anyhow that be my preference in lieu of having a bunch of different skills.
Re: Weapon Respec 11/18/2012 03:04 AM CST

>>2) There is a split in philosophy over how you attack with spells vs how you attack with a weapon that I find a bit interesting. Utilizing a bastard sword in one hand (HE) takes an ENTIRELY different skill from a bastard sword in two hands (2HE). Utilizing a lighting bolt called down form the sky uses the same skill set as flinging a fire ball at an entirely different vector.

I find this statement funny, but in a way completely unrelated to game balance. A bastard sword is sort of what you would call a hand and a half sword. Wielding it in its one-handed style would be completely different and require different training than wielding it in its "two-handed". The 3.0 weapon skills mirror RL a little bit better, not exactly but still. Axes should be paired with hammers rather than being edges. That may not make immediate sense to some people but it has to do with the way the weapon is balanced and wielded.

Then again peoples perception of what a war axe actually looks like is often wrong, they more resembled picks than they do what is commonly depicted.

>>No we dont 'over' vague things, there isnt one magic skill called 'magic' but at the time, we end up with a wide variety of weapon skills which as handled in the system, dont feel quite right. I refer back to Jamie Lannister (who hasnt read SoIF at this point?)

Your having tunnel vision here. What I mean is your not understanding magic in DR. Like at all. So far everything you've said has been repeatedly about how different TM spells do different affects but its all one skill. You see as it currently there is one magic skill which governs all magic, and its not TM. TM is not the only magic, in fact its a small fraction in most spellbooks outside of Warrior Mages. PM the skill that governs all magic is being broken up, it will stay around in a form similar to Melee Mastery or Ranged Mastery, but in the end its not the primary skill. Its moving away from the vague.

Ohh and as far as DR lore is concerned, aiming a fireball and aiming a lightning bolt is the exact same process. The vector is meaningless when it comes to the targeting pattern. Think of the spells as laser guided missles. The act of forming the pattern that creates the spell is the launcher, the targeting pattern or TM is you being the guy who has the laser pointed aimed at the target. Whether its launched by air or land, doesn't matter it will always go to where the spotter is pointing. The angle it comes in has nothing to do with the targeting pattern, the targeting pattern is just you going "hit that guy right there". TM is just the skill determining how good you are at pointing out what "right there" is.

>>He trained his entire life with knightly weapons, but I'm damn sure if i gave him a war hammer, he would be deadly all the same. He wouldnt like it or be able to work at peak efficiency with it (his "feats" were spent elsewhere), but he isnt sitting there scratching his head wondering how a warhammer works.

>>The current system in DR means if a barbarian who has mastered every weapon in the system but one picks up a new weapon, he currently is scratching his head wondering which side to hold it from. I BELIEVE the 'melee' mastery skill may upset this somewhat, but until Testing is out its a bit difficult to say.

Not entirely true even in the current system. I can hit things much more reliably with a lot less ranks than someone with less stats than me. But that being said, if someone was trained in "knightly" weapons(maces/hammers were knightly weapons so I assume you mean swords) and you gave him a warhammer, he would promptly fail horribly using it.

Re: Weapon Respec 11/18/2012 03:24 AM CST
First sorry for the double post, I didn't catch your last post at the time of my first.

>>Anyhow that be my preference in lieu of having a bunch of different skills.

The problem here is that, combat maneuvers are getting there own skill its just not in the weapon skill its a lore skill. Its needed there.

Which would leave the "masteries" for barbs to train, fundamentally crippling them and forcing them to train 1 melee weapon, 1 ranged weapon, 1 thrown weapon, and making them repeatedly use techniques to train the other stuff. You would also have to give everyone else techniques so they could train them. I agree in that I wish the weapon skill sets were more compact than they are going to be, not as much as you listed though, but its going to be near impossible to do without breaking the game and making it into something its not.

3.0 is moving towards a better management of skills which is good but it'll be hard pressed to crunch that many skills into so tiny a few outlet and not basically condemn any class that isn't a trader, moon mage, or empath.

Re: Weapon Respec 11/18/2012 04:07 AM CST
I find alot of contradiction here. Aiming a spell of different sorts despite the massive differences in how a fireball would behave vs a lighting bolt is ok, but I need to have a totally different weapon skill to attack with a medium edged 'slicing' weapon vs a heavy edges 'slicing weapon.

And as someone that spent some time playing with weapons in the SCA, I do not agree that fighting with a one handed weapon (free offhand) and a two handed weapon were such dramatically different skills as they are represented in DR. In DR, someone could have 10000 ranks in one, and try the inverse and basically be utterly inept with it. Thats makes little sense to me, the basic ideas of combat with a weapon are going to apply to a slashing based weapon. The only thing counter acting this is that higher characters have more 'stats' to compensate for their lack of skill, but this is just a poor modeling method.

Someone thats trained to use weapons is not going to be all thumbs if they are given something they arnt familiar with, not to the degree in DR, and I have a very hard time accepting that dozens of attack spells all falling withing TM because 'they have the same core concepts' does not relate to weapons which all fall within 3 general strategies: bash, slash, or poke.
Re: Weapon Respec 11/18/2012 04:39 AM CST
>>I find alot of contradiction here. Aiming a spell of different sorts despite the massive differences in how a fireball would behave vs a lighting bolt is ok, but I need to have a totally different weapon skill to attack with a medium edged 'slicing' weapon vs a heavy edges 'slicing weapon.

Well thats what I was trying to explain. The way a spell behaves and aiming it are different things entirely. Hence the prep(one matrix) and target(secondary matrix). You don't aim the spell you place a marker where you want your spell to hit and the spell flies off and tries to hit that marker. But in this case the marker isn't a physical construct but rather something thats occupying the same three dimensional space as the target your trying to hit. If the target moves out of that space the spell misses. Your not calculating trajectory, angles, vectors, wind resistance, gravitation pull, ect. Your just going his chest will be there when I cast, so I should send my spell over there. The trajectory it takes to get there is handled by your Primary Magic skill.

In the magic system, the spell pattern is equivalent to the weapon. So a fireball is to a lightning bolt as a greataxe is to a claymore. Ethereal shield is to a Fireball what a dagger is to a greatsword; And this is how it will be represented.

>>Someone thats trained to use weapons is not going to be all thumbs if they are given something they arnt familiar with, not to the degree in DR, and I have a very hard time accepting that dozens of attack spells all falling withing TM because 'they have the same core concepts' does not relate to weapons which all fall within 3 general strategies: bash, slash, or poke.

Skills are going to be in place to help reduce this so its not going to be as bad as it is, you won't be great at something you haven't trained but you shouldn't be terrible at it either.

But just to say this, again RL =/= Video game balance, but you'd be surprised how horribly you can fail at using a weapon your unfamiliar with even if your trained in other weapons. In some cases the weapon is used in such a way that it is almost alien to how you were taught that you would have been better off not knowing a thing about weapon training and just flailing it about blindly.

Re: Weapon Respec 11/18/2012 07:33 AM CST
Equine Cemetery anyone?

Elvis has left the building.
Prev_page Previous 1