60 stone bastie vs. greatsword 09/05/2010 07:59 PM CDT
A few questions here. Does Phii still forge? Her website points to an RL shop, and while she's a fine artist I was in the market for imaginary text-weapons.

Now that I've got a lochaber axe and I'm at 3/4 rt with buff spells (41 strength,33 agi + SUF), does anyone out there make a 60-stone bastie? This is sort of a cross-question for Heavy Edged.

I've always wanted to go polearm, greatsword, broadsword, sabre, stiletto, rather than swappable. But I've noticed that generally forged HE are underwhelming until you get to about 70-stone axes, which is heavier than I'm looking for. And as an elf I won't be touching strength again for awhile. So the next best thing is a nice bastie, I'm guessing. Rather than an 'entry-level' 60-stone greatsword and a bastie for HE.

This post https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=11&topic=18&message=1358 Jhime talks about a good r/r 50 stone bastie, so my question is: is a 60 stone bastie out there, and is it any better?
Re: 60 stone bastie vs. greatsword 09/06/2010 12:54 PM CDT
I'd recommend a 54 stone bastie if ya want to stay in the 3/4/4 rt area...a 60<if there is one> would put you into the 4/6/6 rt area. Drevid, Edgee, Magdar, myself and I'm sure a few others make the 54's. Personally speaking, with your strength such as it is....you should go with a 36 stone bastie. min RT and that makes up for the lack of impact. As far as a 2HE...again you can go light with a 34 stone claymore that still hits a ton with min RT...Heavier isn't always better. especialy if you parry as the heavier the weapon, the less balanced they tend to be.

Crax
Re: 60 stone bastie vs. greatsword 09/06/2010 05:39 PM CDT
Thanks, appreciate the input. I should have clarified, with a capped cast of sure-footing I get roughly a +9-10 agility boost, so I'm sitting at effectively 41 strength/43 agility(33 base agility).
I'm already using a 36-stone bastie and have for a couple years (started at 4/6 RT but his been min RT for awhile now). Just looking for more 'oomph'.
I think I'd have min RT with a 50-stone r/r currently, and be a couple ranks of agility away from min RT with a 54-stone f/r. So I was contemplating a 60-stone as something I could 'grow into'. Basically several months of 3/4 RT until I hit min RT, rather than several weeks, depending on how quickly I gather TDPs.

However! :
>>Heavier isn't always better. especialy if you parry as the heavier the weapon, the less balanced they tend to be.

I hadn't even thought about parry, so thank you. I think I'll ditch the 60-stone idea altogether and stick with a more balanced 50 or 54.

Thanks again.
Re: 60 stone bastie vs. greatsword 09/07/2010 05:31 AM CDT
You might want to consider a two-handed sword. Not as hard hitting as a clay, but the most balanced pure 2he. They can be made from 35 stones up.
______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: 60 stone bastie vs. greatsword 09/09/2010 10:37 AM CDT
Can you post the appraisal on some of your 2hand sword Magdar?