What to use? 05/30/2009 03:05 PM CDT
Having trouble hitting things that parry (I typically shatter their weapons but Lang swamps/Fends' weapons just dont wanna break)

Im using a 34 stones l/bc/f d/r claymore

Have 28 strength/23 agility and get 3/4 RTs with the claymore.

Anyone know of a bastard sword I can get with a 3/4 RT with my stats? Will the increased balance be noticable in my (in)ability to hit past parries?

I dont use HE, and I NEVER parry. Is it going to be worth it to swap from claymore to bastie?
Re: What to use? 05/30/2009 05:14 PM CDT
I prefer basties to claymores, having used both, mainly because of the balance advantage that basties have. IMO your agility is way too low, and is probably the main reason you're not breaking past the parry of fendryads. I'm not sure that a bastie would be the answer. Try using Halt on the fendryads, and then attacking. I'm not sure if Halt will work on them, but it might be worth a shot.

If it helps, just think of yourself as the fluorescent light in the buglamp of life.

- GM Dartenian
Re: What to use? 06/01/2009 03:39 AM CDT
The bastard sword might not completely solve your problem due to rank/skill issues, but it would still help. I'd recommend always training with one for ease and safety.

I've been on a huge sword kick the last 3 months. Literally. 102 stone greatswords, 96 stone claymores etc. Pretty much the hardest hitting things I could find short of rare metal.

What have I learned in those 3 months?

Greatswords have a super high coolness factor(and break things), but more importantly...

NOTHING beats a trusty well made bastard sword. It has become amazingly apparent to me how important weapon balance is in the combat system. So again I highly recommend you get one. Since you're a 2HE user you'll eventually want to work up to the 50 stone R/R one.

I go from completely missing something over and over to killing it in a few swings just by changing weapons.

I still rock the greatsword a lot for fun, but I've come to the conclusion that greatswords and claymores are a joke. They are way worse than I originally thought.

Why so serious?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n142/Sirzason/wmsheet2.jpg
Re: What to use? 06/01/2009 12:05 PM CDT
>>NOTHING beats a trusty well made bastard sword. It has become amazingly apparent to me how important weapon balance is in the combat system. So again I highly recommend you get one. Since you're a 2HE user you'll eventually want to work up to the 50 stone R/R one.

Do you have the full appraisal on these? Or who makes and/or sells them? I'd like to buy a few.

---
Player of Kryeus Kyshi'cio
Re: What to use? 06/01/2009 12:35 PM CDT
Your standard run of the mill forged bastie...

> app my sword careful

A bastard sword is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
low puncture damage
severe slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

A bastard sword is a two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bastard sword is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

The bastard sword is made with metal.
You are certain that the bastard sword weighs exactly 54 stones.
You are certain that the bastard sword is worth exactly 10000 lirums.

Ask around IG for a forger of them, and going by memory, these forged ones can drain a few plats from your bank account.
Re: What to use? 06/01/2009 12:39 PM CDT
And this one, found on the Ship's Quest incidental loot...I think. Might be able to find these laying around in some folks vaults.

> app my sword careful

An etched bastard sword with a bone-shaped hilt is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
great slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

An etched bastard sword with a bone-shaped hilt is a two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
moderate impact damage

You are certain that the sword is reasonably balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bastard sword is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the bastard sword weighs exactly 45 stones.
You are certain that the bastard sword is worth exactly 17000 lirums.
Re: What to use? 06/01/2009 01:30 PM CDT
I hadn't seen the one from the Ghost Ship before, but I assumed Jhime was referring to a 50 stone forged piece. The 54 stone forged is just way too flimsy, I'd much prefer the usual 36 stone.

Is there no such beast?

---
Re: What to use? 06/01/2009 01:40 PM CDT
They can be made at fairly sturdy. l/s/l f/f fairly sturdy in HE l/s/f f/r fairly sturdy in 2HE

If you are looking to retain the impact, it can be done at 36 stones as well. In that case, it can have higher balance potential so you would get r/r in 2HE mode.

- Simon
Re: What to use? 06/01/2009 01:43 PM CDT
Thanks for the info Jhime. I suspected this was so but it's nice to hear it confirmed.

Rev. Reene

Reene: tie a scimitar to your fist.
Kystrk: that would just be unrealistic
Reene: because jump kicking someone from hiding and vaporizing their skull is super realistic
Kystrk: I was wearing footwraps
Re: What to use? 06/01/2009 02:23 PM CDT
As a two handed user you'd want one of these.

low puncture damage
great slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
moderate impact damage

You are certain that the sword is reasonably balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bastard sword is moderately strong, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the bastard sword weighs exactly 50 stones.

That gets you R/R and mod impact. The only person I know that makes them is Phii. I've asked around at the tables for others so I wouldn't have to bug her, but oddly enough no one else seems to make them.

Why so serious?

Re: What to use? 06/01/2009 03:00 PM CDT
Thanks for the information. I guess that explains why I'd never seen one before. I'll have to try my luck bugging Phii.

---
Re: What to use? 06/01/2009 06:49 PM CDT
They have been around before, I lost one ages ago, still kickin myself, good to know that they are available again. My guess is the forgers that used to make 'em are retired or not forgin as much.

Rehlyn

You gesture at a gargantuan korograth.
A sheet of slippery rich amber ale-hued ice forms beneath a gargantuan korograth!
The gargantuan korograth refuses to fall.
Re: What to use? 06/01/2009 10:41 PM CDT
I make them in TF, but then, it costs 10,000 plat to buy one... Just kinda my way of making certain I stay out of the forge, heh.

If it helps, just think of yourself as the fluorescent light in the buglamp of life.

- GM Dartenian
Re: What to use? 06/01/2009 11:45 PM CDT
Blazzon makes it too.
Re: What to use? 06/02/2009 12:37 AM CDT
>>That gets you R/R and mod impact. The only person I know that makes them is Phii. I've asked around at the tables for others so I wouldn't have to bug her, but oddly enough no one else seems to make them.

>>Blazzon makes it too.

I'm interested in purchasing a few of these if I could find them for sale in game, and afford them.

~Nitish

Nitish looks with pleasure on his new shield.
Re: What to use? 06/02/2009 01:06 AM CDT
Hmm, didn't realized how uncommon they were. I really wish I could make them, but nooooo.

It makes me sad that they only require one skill and it's Heavy Edge. It should be one or the other!

Why so serious?

Re: What to use? 06/02/2009 12:51 PM CDT
Hmmm maybe time to upgrade my sword. Any idea of what kind of strength and agility needed to get min RT on those- would 50/50 do?
Re: What to use? 06/02/2009 01:04 PM CDT
>>Hmmm maybe time to upgrade my sword. Any idea of what kind of strength and agility needed to get min RT on those- would 50/50 do?

50/50 should.

Unless the effective strength/roundtime equations have changed.

If they have changed, someone point me in the direction of the new information, please.

~Nitish

Nitish looks with pleasure on his new shield.
Re: What to use? 06/02/2009 01:33 PM CDT
The reason why they aren't seening them much is because most people don't look at impact as that benefical compared to slice. It really matters moreso depending on the creature you are fighting against.

<<It makes me sad that they only require one skill and it's Heavy Edge. It should be one or the other!>>

It is heavy edged that requires to make them, but I disagree that it should be one or the other. It should be both if you are impacting stats on both. It's a moot point either way.

- Simon
Re: What to use? 06/02/2009 04:54 PM CDT
This was the best I could find around Crossing, I cannot recall who forged it. I am not near a MAMA's so I cannot get an exact weight.

I don't think the sword is terrible, I know the construction is a bit sketchy...

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
low impact damage

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the bastard sword is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the bastard sword weighs about 50 stones.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

All in all, the sword Phii seems to be forging is better.