charging with a greatsword? 03/01/2009 12:25 AM CST
if i can attack from pole range with a greatsword, why am i charging with it when i attack?

>You close to pole weapon range on a forest geni.
>
>The forest geni begins to advance on you!
>The forest geni advances from nearby and is closing steadily.
>att
>< Driving in like an unbeatable force, you charge a greatsword at a forest geni. A forest geni fails to evade, failing miserably. The greatsword lands a heavy strike that lightly scratches the geni's right forearm.
>[You're tired, nimbly balanced and in good position.]
>[Roundtime 6 sec.]

i dont believe this has ever happened before. and if it has and i just didnt notice, why? it has pole range, i dont need to charge.

~Artilius
Re: charging with a greatsword? 03/01/2009 01:11 AM CST
Did you stop advancing before you attacked?

~Thilan
Re: charging with a greatsword? 03/01/2009 05:50 AM CST
It's one of the lame parts of using pole-ranged weapons - if you're still advancing when you try to use it, you charge anyway.

"Paper covers rock. Rock is fine! No structural damage to rock."
"If you drink enough beer, everything turns into a bed. Drink a little more and everything's a toilet."
-DM

"Peace is just an opportunity for everyone to reload."
-Vashir
Re: charging with a greatsword? 03/01/2009 11:52 AM CST
<<It's one of the lame parts of using pole-ranged weapons - if you're still advancing when you try to use it, you charge anyway.

Madigan

Free the Paladin Guild in 2009.
Re: charging with a greatsword? 03/01/2009 01:02 PM CST
>i dont believe this has ever happened before.

Always happened. Seems like it would be a simple fix.
Re: charging with a greatsword? 03/01/2009 01:20 PM CST
If I recall they are in the process of rewriting engagement rules, or something, so this might get 'fixed'. Personally I don't think it's broken, it's not that hard to stop advancing before taking a swing. Furthermore, halberds and pikes are pole ranged weapons that benefit from the occasional charge.
Re: charging with a greatsword? 03/01/2009 01:36 PM CST
>Furthermore, halberds and pikes are pole ranged weapons that benefit from the occasional charge.

Some of them. A khuj doesn't particularly benefit. Neither do greatswords.
Re: charging with a greatsword? 03/01/2009 08:03 PM CST
thanks for the replies everyone. i just recently started using a greatsword so i havent had too much time to experiment with it. guess in the couple days i had it i just either never got in a situation where i lunged or never noticed it. kinda sucks thats the way it is. oh well, maybe it will get fixed when/IF the engagement system is ever fixed.

~Artilius
Re: charging with a greatsword? 03/01/2009 09:20 PM CST
I tend to notice the fatigue hit from my 100 stone greatsword pretty quick until I get stamina up there.

On the other hand, annoying charges aside, the thing did break a friend's croc skin buckler (and left arm) in a spar once, so they're not all bad.

"Paper covers rock. Rock is fine! No structural damage to rock."
"If you drink enough beer, everything turns into a bed. Drink a little more and everything's a toilet."
-DM

"Peace is just an opportunity for everyone to reload."
-Vashir
Re: charging with a greatsword? 03/07/2009 06:31 AM CST
<<The Mikhildis Shalsnipis

I'd love for Khorgar my dwarven barb in plat to get his hands on this thing!

Magical or not that is an awesome weapon. As long as Khorgar wasn't casting any spells himself or having any spells cast on him he'd be fine with using it. It just a fancy tool for hacking and smashing skulls.
Re: charging with a greatsword? 03/10/2009 02:38 PM CDT
It'd be slick if pole range weapons were chargeable from missle. That'd add some functionality heh.
Re: charging with a greatsword? 03/11/2009 09:28 AM CDT
NOW this is a great idea! Can we have it please?
______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss