2HE axes 09/07/2004 02:56 PM CDT
Well... seems I've misplaced my wide-bladed beheading axe, so my little dwarf is sans a nice 2HE axe. Question is, what 2HE axes are out there, specifically, those under 100pk. Ideally under 20pk, but I can't have everything.

Also, more specifically, are there any Dwarvishly themed ones, i.e. the tunnelers axe? They don't have to be the best axes out there, just have to look spiffy.

Ristyl
Re: 2HE axes 09/07/2004 04:26 PM CDT
The "best" 2HE axe out there for your money if the Steelclaw Clan "axe." 46 stones, poor/great/heavy, dismally/fairly, if memory serves. Around 10 platinum dokoras, depending on whether or not you buy a haft for it.

I've yet to find anything that compares to it in 2HE mode.

Drongol's Player

PC also stands for "Paying Customer."
Re: 2HE axes 09/08/2004 06:34 AM CDT
Agreed, one of the best 2HE starters .. also its apps Poor/Great/Heavy Poor/Well in 2HE mode
None/Moderate/Moderate Dismal/Reason

Klatu...verata.....ni....Necktie... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word!
Re: 2HE axes 09/08/2004 01:51 PM CDT
I went to check it out, and wasn't thrilled. I'm looking more for an interesting weapon, last one was a beheading axe, as an example. If I really need performance, I can just whip out my claymore, so this weapon is more for show. Any ideas of a 2HE axe that has more visual oomph to it?

Ristyl
Re: 2HE axes 09/08/2004 02:41 PM CDT
There's always the obsidian bladed broadaxe or something like that. It's either 150 or 200 stones. . .

~Bractos

Weapon Forging
A barbarian's inherent understanding of weapons makes him or her a natural at the forge. Anyone can forge a crude weapon, but only barbarians can produce legendary quality weapons sought after by all.
Re: 2HE axes 09/08/2004 03:52 PM CDT
Isn't Droughtman's wagon still around, since the contest is still going on? That's the merchant that sold the beheading axe, you could just get a replacement.

Otherwise, in Tiger Clan there's the massive double-bladed broadaxe, the igorat axe in SCC, the splitting mauls at the survival shop outside Shard, the Dwarven battle axe in Dirge and the boarding axe on Ratha. Shard also has the two-handed warring axe, but buying from there depends on whether you want to support the Outcast economy or not.

Check this site out for more info: http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dragon/4528/

Hope that helps.

~Thilan
Re: 2HE axes 09/09/2004 06:31 AM CDT
<<Isn't Droughtman's wagon still around

Last i checked, no.

<<Dwarven battle axe in Dirge

Was out of stock last time i was there.. like a week ago

<<There's always the obsidian bladed broadaxe or something like that.

Got an app on that one Bractos?

<<I'm looking more for an interesting weapon

Massive Double-bladed broadaxe is select i think. Its actually a decent weapon if you can swing it and it apps almost the same as the SCC swap axe.

-triton

Klatu...verata.....ni....Necktie... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word!
Re: 2HE axes 09/16/2004 12:18 PM CDT
>There's always the obsidian bladed broadaxe or something like that

a massive stone-bladed broadaxe
LOOK: Neither for the weak of heart or the slight of body, this monstrosity consists of a large ironwood shaft topped by a wide blade of flaked obsidian.

A massive stone-bladed broadaxe is a two-handed edged type weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
no puncture damage
great slice damage
great impact damage

You are certain that the broadaxe is dismally balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the stone-bladed broadaxe is quite hard, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the stone-bladed broadaxe weighs exactly 200 stones.
You are certain that the stone-bladed broadaxe is worth exactly 11000 lirums, 13750 kronars, or 9922 dokoras.

I've commented on this useless weapon in past posts and not to repeat myself to much, I'll only note the lack of use of strength for something so ungodly heavy (reasonably).

The only reason I keep it as an example of the utter lack of respect our staff gives to two-handed axes by churning this junk out for their merchants to sell.

Gidske
Re: 2HE axes 09/16/2004 12:28 PM CDT
>Massive Double-bladed broadaxe is select i think. Its actually a decent weapon if you can swing it and it apps almost the same as the SCC swap axe.

I don't have either to compare but the weight and puncture are the only visible differences.

Massive Double-Bladed Broadaxe
Weight: 80 stones
Puncture: Low
Slice: Great
Impact: Heavy
Balance: Poorly
Suited: Well

Axe (Steelclaw Clan)
Weight: 46 stones
Puncture: Poor
Slice: Great
Suited: Well

The other SCC axe:

Igorat Axe
Weight: 85 stones
Puncture: None
Slice: Severe
Suited: Reasonably

Gidske
Re: 2HE axes 09/16/2004 12:47 PM CDT
>Was out of stock last time i was there.. like a week ago

As of Sept. 16th (Thursday), at 1:40 PM EST.

Othien hands over your Dwarven battle axe. "It was a fair deal, you've some sense in you despite your outland looks and manners."

A Dwarven battle axe is a two-handed edged type weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
moderate puncture damage
great slice damage
great impact damage

You are certain that the axe is poorly balanced and is well suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the Dwarven battle axe is very strong, and is in pristine condition.

The Dwarven battle axe is made with metal.
You are certain that the Dwarven battle axe weighs exactly 96 stones.
You are certain that the Dwarven battle axe is worth exactly 1875 kronars, 1500 lirums, or 1353 dokoras.

Gidske
Re: 2HE axes 09/16/2004 07:35 PM CDT
Where can you buy a Dwarven battle axe Gid? Looks a bit heavy for me to use, as I'm still small, but I'd evenutally like one.

Kalkomar Axebiter
Staan Grimis
Re: 2HE axes 09/16/2004 11:02 PM CDT
Dirge.

Roughneck Deagar
Re: 2HE axes 09/16/2004 11:03 PM CDT
<<The only reason I keep it as an example of the utter lack of respect our staff gives to two-handed axes by churning this junk out for their merchants to sell.

AMEN to that!

I'd also like to point out also being a 2handed blunt user. The best i can find store bought is.
Low/Low/Severe Dismal/Well and thats about it everything else is around there.

Also i wanna point out something else too and see if i can get someone else to see what im seeing.

LB's seem to have fair impact at around 20 stones
MB's seem to have heavy impact at around 40-50 stones
HB's seem to have heavy/great impact at around 50 stones
2HB's seem to have severe impact at around 70-80 stones

The stone weight curve for 2HB is pretty extreme.

Hara from Aesry Apps
Low/None/Great dismal/reasonable at 50 stones or 46 stones with the Ukabi from leth.

While the War mattock from crossing Apps
Low/Low/Severe Dismal/Well at 71 stones

20+ stones is pretty harsh considering the performance gain from LB to MB to HB with no where near the same stone jump.

I would have to say the worst thing being the difference between 2HB and 2HE. Why would someone on gods green earth pick 2HB over 2HE? i have 150+ ranks in both 2HB and 2HE. My 2HB is a joke when compared to my 2HE.

SCC AXE:
Poor/Great/Heavy Poor/Well at 46 stones!!!!

Theren Claymore
Low/Severe/Heavy Dismal/Well at 58 stones!

Verses.

Xing Mattock
Low/Low/Severe Dismal/Well at 71 stones.

Even if the mattock was the same stone weight as the 2HE's it would still be bad. Sigh.

Glad i got this one off my chest.

-triton

Re: 2HE axes 09/16/2004 11:05 PM CDT
Ironhills in dirge. They are back in stock.

-triton

Re: 2HE axes 09/17/2004 07:35 AM CDT
Blunts did or do have a knock down advantage coded in that no matter the impact of an edge weapon, it will never have.

1. I will assume that might be the reason for such a weight difference in the two.
Or..

2. It may just be another example of inconsistency in how items, particularly weapons, have been coded in a hodge podge process covering 8 years of radical changes to combat.

I'm tending more toward reason #2 myself.

The weight curve between 2HB and the next class of blunts is a bit extreme, I agree.

Gidske
Re: 2HE axes 09/18/2004 10:29 AM CDT
<<Why would someone on gods green earth pick 2HB over 2HE?>>

used to be the attack cycle made it worth it, sure you were doing less damage per attack, but bash draw (both being attacking and both giving balance) put blunts in a good place for those that put the work into em (str and stamina) course now that's been flushed.. so.. can't see any reason

less damage
more rt
more work

kind of mad at myself for putting the stats i could have in intel wisdom and the like into str and stamina so I could be a dedicated blunt user over the last 20 circles.. oh well, makes 2he a bit easier to learn I suppose

Ravanos throws a half gallon of stupid at you.
The half gallon of stupid lodges firmly in your chest!
You are stunned!
Re: 2HE axes 09/19/2004 02:28 PM CDT
<<<The only reason I keep it as an example of the utter lack of respect our staff gives to two-handed axes by churning this junk out for their merchants to sell.

Unfortunately this applies to most non-sword weapons.

-Everything I know I got by eating the brains of smart people.
Re: 2HE axes 09/19/2004 04:19 PM CDT
Personally I keep mine because I have some delusion about being able to use it at Min RT eventually.....

Roughneck Deagar
Re: 2HE axes 09/20/2004 03:15 PM CDT
Axes definitely arent given their justice, nor are blunts. My secondary is MB, but I just cant do enough damage to lock quickly, takes twice as long to lock as my blade, and it doesnt hit nearly as hard. Its a shame, really. I hope they make blunts function better, they are seriously lacking in power.

My suggestion would be Blunt weapons should be more difficult to parry, and be seriously unbalancing to the target when they hit. This could offset the difference in damage.
Re: 2HE axes 09/20/2004 08:26 PM CDT
<<My suggestion would be Blunt weapons should be more difficult to parry, and be seriously unbalancing to the target when they hit. This could offset the difference in damage.

This basicly goes under the "Force Of Impact" thing i think they were talking about at a con. But i agree.

Something needs to be done about this. Put this one on my DR Xmas wish list.

-triton

Re: 2HE axes 09/27/2004 09:58 AM CDT
>Why would someone on gods green earth pick 2HB over 2HE?

The sheer entertainment value? No, because 2HB breaks weapons and armor far more efficiently than 2HE. It is also more likely to go through a parry or armor.

Right now I have approximately ...

52 stone Shadowar claymore
l/bc/m d/w (sorta, maybe)

80 stone Vibrato war mattock
//bc d/w (I think)

The claymore is at 6-7 rt, the mattock at 9-10 ... however, the sheer damage of the war mattock against sprites was higer at lower ranks because it shattered their knives. Same with the effect on dusk ogres who used cudgels. I used the mattock a lot in there to shatter their shields and weapons.

Now, well, the claymore has enough ranks that I pretty much can garantee a one shot on sandies with it if I hit a critical area ... the war mattock, still does a pretty fair job, with >20 ranks fewer 2HB (90 2HE, 68 2HB), just because of the way it goes through things and causes stuns/unbalance effects. I'm pretty sure I'll be one shotting the girls with that mattock at the same ranks as I have with my claymore, probably as soon as I close the gap to about 10 ranks.

Vale
Re: 2HE axes 09/27/2004 06:08 PM CDT
Point being that 2HB breaks weapons etc ..... 2HE breaks the critter holding them :D. I think if i hit a critter with a 112 stone BC mattock and land say around a heavy hit or better that thing should be on its arse.... Now we're talking!

O When i was hunting Super trolls back in the day .... i used to get like 4-7 Extremely dmging shots on their shields ..... and id look at the shield and it was fine or almost in mint condition.... So yea have i broke weapons ... yes..... have i broke anything to be proud of breaking .... no. So i pray that one day i will find a Blunt rewrite From: Ssra To: Us blunt users, under the Xmas tree.

-triton
-Player Gred

Re: 2HE axes 10/18/2004 06:56 AM CDT
I also use 2HB - I'm using a forged 128 stone War Mattock with about 8-12 second RT. When I hit stuff it REALLY unbalances them...get a good hit and then do an assess ..you'll see that your enemy is most likely not balanced very good...plus it definatly damages weapons/armor but I've yet to destroy any armor but smaller weapons I've destroyed plenty of times. Also it's a different damage time so if 2HE isn't doing the job try a diffrent weapon :) I know there's monsters out there that have slashing or bludgeoning resistence :)

Tergres - Meatshield in training
Re: 2HE axes 10/18/2004 08:41 PM CDT
Tergres, is this still occuring? The weapons damage, I mean, from 2hb?

~Kodiac
Shield: It does a body good.
Arma Pacis Fulcra
Re: 2HE axes 10/19/2004 10:11 AM CDT
>>Tergres, is this still occuring? The weapons damage, I mean, from 2hb?

Yes Bear it is. I notice it when I train blunts. Another good thing about blunts is they work well against armored, or creatures with natural armor, ie gargs.

Brabs

It's fascinating, though, how much like an oral culture this can be when it's carried out entirely in text.--GM Natala
Re: 2HE axes 10/19/2004 09:29 PM CDT
with over 60 strength..... 150 ranks in 2HB + standard xing mattock, i have yet to break a pike staff in swampies... pike staffs app at SF construction i believe. I get a TON of extremely damaging shots to them.... Never broke one. Same deal with Super troll shields.... I'd get 5-7 Extremely dmging shots on a single shield.... wouldn't break.

Though i do agree with the working well against armored.... but since most of my 2HE have heavy or better impact it kinda doesnt really matter.... unless they can only be damaged by (immune to all else) impact damage..... then 2HB is a prime choice.

Force of impact needs to be looked at. As it stands right now i charge from pole get a overwhelming strike and they get "off balanced, or somewhat off balanced"

I think i should be knocking these swamp trolls on their butts charging from pole getting a overwhelming strike to the chest, then getting a good 4 seconds of air time. Huzzah! There i go dreaming again. 2HB are cool now but it could be so much more cooler, heh.

-triton

Re: 2HE axes 10/20/2004 04:11 AM CDT
Yep, the weapon destroying is still out there...but only on LE weapons or small weapons such as dagger and such..not sure if it destroys them or just knocks them out of the opponents hands..but I agree. 2hB needs to be looked at..i can wade through piles and piles of stuff in no time at all with my claymore cause i can get 1-3 secodn RT's when using Blood berserk..that's like 5 hits for every one I take with my War mattock..it's just not worth it. I'm still gonna train 2hB as my secondary weapon but they need to fix it...it's a joke right now.