Heavy thrown from offhand 03/05/2015 10:25 PM CST
Is it intended that I can't throw heavy throw weapons from my off-hand? I tried with a spear in my left and as scimitar in my right and I couldn't throw the spear. Strangely I could throw the scimitar though..

-Tiruuns
Re: Heavy thrown from offhand 03/05/2015 10:27 PM CST
Is the spear two-handed? I can throw all the HT I have just fine from the off-hand, but they're all one-handed thrown weapons.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Heavy thrown from offhand 03/05/2015 10:53 PM CST
Ah the spear is a pike, so I don't know if that is supposed to effect it or not.

-Tiruuns
Re: Heavy thrown from offhand 03/11/2015 05:03 AM CDT
Are there 2 handed heavy thrown weapons? I don't see anything in the apprasial. I can't throw a spear or a short hunting spear from the off hand. Maybe I dont have enough strength or something or do I need to find a lighter heavy thrown weapon somewhere?

-Tiruuns
Re: Heavy thrown from offhand 03/11/2015 03:06 PM CDT
>Are there 2 handed heavy thrown weapons?

Most definitely, and it won't show up in APPRAISE.

Only way to test is to try to use it with something in your other hand.

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Heavy thrown from offhand 03/11/2015 04:03 PM CDT
<<Are there 2 handed heavy thrown weapons? I don't see anything in the apprasial. I can't throw a spear or a short hunting spear from the off hand. Maybe I dont have enough strength or something or do I need to find a lighter heavy thrown weapon somewhere?

Most spears are 2-handed. Even the short hunting spear from Arthe Dale which I think used to fit in a backpack (it doesn't anymore, boo) is 2-handed I believe. A few javelins are one handed I think.

A throwing hammer or mallet is your best bet for an offhand heavy thrown weapon. Most, if not all, of those are one-handed. If you can't afford a crafted one, the cooking pot lid (actually a shield) from one of the Arthe Dale shops will work as an improvised throwing weapon that teaches HT. Even a foraged log I think still works as an improvised thrown too. You'll need a handful of HT ranks in order to throw improvised weapons (maybe 20-30 or so?) but they're decent enough in a pinch. One note: because they're improvised weapons and not actual weapons they will not go to the new at feet slot when thrown. Just a minor quirk to be aware of.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Heavy thrown from offhand 03/12/2015 02:45 AM CDT
It may be a weight or strength issue. I can throw my 75 stone spear with my left hand (as long as my right hand is empty). A novice character should be able to throw a 35 stone spear from the offhand, though.
Re: Heavy thrown from offhand 03/13/2015 12:46 AM CDT
Throwing HT in the offhand is directly related to STONE WEIGHT.

I do not know how strength, agility, etc, plays into it though.

I know a 60 stone HT throwing hammer can not be thrown in the offhand with over 70 in strength, agility, discipline, etc.

I do not know the cut off with the weights and stats though.
Re: Heavy thrown from offhand 03/13/2015 05:12 PM CDT
Does it matter if the weapon skillset is primary, secondary, or tertiary for your guild, like with melee weapons?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Heavy thrown from offhand 03/13/2015 05:29 PM CDT
<<Does it matter if the weapon skillset is primary, secondary, or tertiary for your guild, like with melee weapons?

I've posted/asked about the melee mechanic a couple times before with no response or changes made, but the skillset tiers for offhand weapon use don't seem to be working properly since at least 3.0. My tert weapon user can use more than just light weapons (e.g. short swords, daggers, etc.) in the offhand, for example. He is currently able to use medium weapons (e.g. scimitars and rapiers) and 2-handed quarterstaves from the offhand just fine, although the staves do require the main hand to be empty. He isn't able to use heavy weapons (e.g. broadswords) from the offhand which is working as intended. I suspect it being broken has something to do with the LE/LB and ME/MB skills being combined into the SE/SB skills and it is matching off the 'skill trained' variable rather than the 'weapon type' variable.

E.g.:
<<A steel scimitar is a medium edged melee-ranged weapon.
<<A steel scimitar trains the small edged skill.

That said, I don't think that part of the mechanic ever applied to thrown weapons even when it was working properly.

For example, I can throw the following weapon from my left hand but cannot use it for a melee attack from my offhand:
<<A steel throwing mallet is a heavy thrown and heavy blunt melee-ranged weapon.
<<A steel throwing mallet trains the heavy thrown and heavy blunt skills.

Re: Heavy thrown from offhand 03/18/2015 03:05 AM CDT
>Throwing HT in the offhand is directly related to STONE WEIGHT.

>I do not know how strength, agility, etc, plays into it though.

>I know a 60 stone HT throwing hammer can not be thrown in the offhand with over 70 in strength, agility, discipline, etc.

>I do not know the cut off with the weights and stats though.

Not sure where you get this information, my necro (weapon tert) at 50 str/agi, 75 stone (capped) throwing hammer can throw offhand just fine.
Tried with a 75 stone (capped again) greathammer since it's not technically an HT weapon, and it works fine too.

Strength: 50
Agility: 50
Discipline: 50

HT skill: 301
Offhand skill: 320

> swap

You move a haralun throwing hammer to your left hand.
> face XXX
You turn to face XXX.
> throw left

< You throw a haralun throwing hammer at XXX. XXX dodges.
The throwing hammer hits a wall and falls to the floor!
[You're solidly balanced with opponent in strong position.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]
R>

> swap

You move a kertig greathammer to your left hand.
> throw left

< You throw a kertig greathammer at XXX. XXX dodges.
The greathammer hits a wall and falls to the floor!
[You're solidly balanced with opponent in strong position.]
[Roundtime 6 sec.]
R>

> app hamm

A haralun throwing hammer is a heavy thrown and heavy blunt melee-ranged weapon.
A haralun throwing hammer trains the heavy thrown and heavy blunt skills.

You are certain that it could do:
no (0/27) puncture damage
fair (5/27) slice damage
extreme (15/27) impact damage
no (0/26) fire damage
no (0/26) cold damage
no (0/26) electric damage

The throwing hammer is extremely well designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the hammer is poorly (3/17) balanced and is well (9/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the throwing hammer is very strong against damage (14/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

The throwing hammer is made with metal.
You are certain that the throwing hammer weighs exactly 75 stones.
You are certain that the throwing hammer is worth exactly 367734 Lirums.
You sense a deep connection with the throwing hammer, as if it will be with you always.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.
Re: Heavy thrown from offhand 03/18/2015 03:07 AM CDT

Double post!

And as far as having something in the other hand... as long as it's a 1-handed weapon...

> swap

You move a haralun throwing hammer to your left hand.
You move a light throwing axe to your right hand.
> throw left

< You throw a haralun throwing hammer at XXX. XXX dodges.
The throwing hammer hits a wall and falls to the floor!
[You're solidly balanced with opponent in good position.]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
R>
Re: Heavy thrown from offhand 03/18/2015 05:32 PM CDT

Hmmm...that is odd. They must have tweaked something, because I can know throw a 60 stone throwing hammer in the offhand.

Just 2 weeks ago, I couldn't, with no change in the weapon skill.