Prev_page Previous 1
Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/16/2014 12:21 PM CDT
A lot of us have been complaining how inaccurate thrown weapons are compared to melee weapons since 3.1 was released. I decided to do a quick test with a small sample size of data to hopefully allow you, Kodius, to take a look at why it's so difficult to hit with.

First, here is the appraisal. Something that's appraising as "very easy"

You are certain that the adult wyvern is healthy.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a small diamond-hide shield sealed with protective wax and a polished throwing hammer with a conch-shaped head, you are certain that the adult wyvern is a less skilled opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a polished throwing hammer with a conch-shaped head, you are certain that the adult wyvern is a very easy opponent.
If you attacked with a polished throwing hammer with a conch-shaped head, you are certain that the enemy would train acceptably.

Agility: 115
Strength: 115

Test 1: 50 attacks with my throwing hammer.
Ranks: 935
Attack type: Lob
Hits: 12
Misses: 38
Accuracy: 24%

Test 2: 50 attacks with a maul
Ranks: 898
Attack Type: feint
Hits: 36
Misses: 14
Accuracy: 72%

Balance of Weapons:

You are certain that the hammer is fairly (5/14) balanced and is soundly (8/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
You are certain that the maul is fairly (5/14) balanced and is reasonably (7/14) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

TL;DR: Why am I landing 24% of my attacks when I use thrown and hit with my melee weapons ~75% of the time with 40 less ranks? Something seems broken.
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/16/2014 01:17 PM CDT
I second this, in void moths I can land hits and kill with 1150 brawl, yet with 1000 HT I can't even hit them, even with disablers. Brawling requires no disablers.
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/16/2014 02:03 PM CDT
Difference in melee mastery and missile mastery perhaps?

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/16/2014 02:49 PM CDT
I think that there does need to be some way to balance out the instant-damage-from-range potential of thrown weapons. Accuracy seems a reasonable way to do that. Not sure if that's the thought behind it, or if any of that is intentional or whatever.

If you compare thrown to bows or spells, there's no prep/load/aim time at all, which is a huge advantage. What's the intended way to balance this?
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/16/2014 04:39 PM CDT
>I think that there does need to be some way to balance out the instant-damage-from-range potential of thrown weapons. Accuracy seems a reasonable way to do that. Not sure if that's the thought behind it, or if any of that is intentional or whatever.

I know I've posted this [too?] many time already, but I'm a big fan of melee accuracy bonuses for ranged attack styles like throw.

Does hurl still have an accuracy bonus in exchange for lodging 100% of the time or is it just a damage bonus?
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/16/2014 06:20 PM CDT
I have noticed a marked change in HT, and not too happy about it. Sure, could have used a nerf, but as it is I am done with it.

Rant:
Probably belongs in some other folder, but I am going to rant here since it is on my mind and I have to go soon. As long as I have played my Paladin I have run the range of disappointed to enraged by Paladin development/adjustments/whatever it is the GM's are doing. There have been a few bright spots, but all in all, I am having less and less fun playing him with each change that comes out. At first I was excited about 3.0, but I really have a hard time getting myself to log on anymore to push numbers or find something fun to do. It might just be me. But I find frustration and lack of development for the guild for years rather discouraging. I have no real alts.. might try that, I don't know.

End of rant.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/16/2014 06:51 PM CDT
<<It might just be me. But I find frustration and lack of development for the guild for years rather discouraging. >>

It's not just you. I came back after nearly a decade gone and notice no real development for the guild at all. I know one of the GM's has mentioned that Paladins are slated for some major development, but I have no idea what that means.

--Just a Squire
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/16/2014 06:56 PM CDT
Gotta say - I disagree with you guys. 3.0 was an absolutely amazing step forward for the Paladin guild as a whole. Armor MATTERS, Shield is more then a slight damage soak and tdps. Yes, there's been a few changes that aren't gold plated awesome for us (RW nerf), but overall we're in an amazingly better place then we were say, 2-3 years ago.

It gets thrown around a lot, but there's a degree of truth to it - make a dude in another guild for a while. I've taken the time to play a few guys to 50+ now, and some much higher and its really highlighted the strengths to the Paladin guild.

More on topic:

Throwns have a blanket accuracy penalty due to the speed they possess for attacks. Perhaps a better suggestion is a damage change and the accuracy somewhat restored as folks are seeing issues connecting with it at level.

Samsaren
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/16/2014 07:35 PM CDT
I'd rather see a change that prevents immediately picking up a thrown weapon, especially while the enemy is still at "ranged" distance. Maybe after a throw, if you want to pick up your weapon again, you'll have to close to melee on the target first because that's where the weapon is assumed to be.

>throw
(attack description)
>get weapon
You can't reach that! You'll have to get closer first.

Obviously you could just keep multiple throwing weapons on your person, but that seems an acceptable trade-off to me. Possibly.
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/16/2014 07:37 PM CDT
With the offensive penalty after retreating you're never going to be not in melee after the first throw anyway. That would not do anything to curb the insane damage output thrown(especially light thrown) had for a while.
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/16/2014 07:41 PM CDT
Well, I'd combine it with the notion that thrown weapons in general should do less damage than melee equivalents. It'd set up a situation where thrown would never really be an optimal choice at melee range, but it would give thrown (esp. heavy thrown) a somewhat unique role of being able to (possibly) disrupt spellcasters/archers before they can finish targeting/aiming. Essentially, thrown would become a great way to open up a fight, but not sustainable over longer periods of time. Sort of a mini-alpha strike whose damage per second drops off dramatically once your enemy either closes to melee or else starts getting off shots/spells at range.
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/16/2014 07:43 PM CDT
That would make them 100% useless and never be used outside of RP reasons. The entire combat system takes place in melee range now.

There is absolutely zero reason to mess with the damage or use of thrown weapons now that the accuracy has been nerfed to make up for the crazy damage they used to do.
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/16/2014 07:45 PM CDT
The question posed by the OP (correct me if I'm wrong) seems to be more along the lines of, "Why should they be inherently less accurate?"

Honestly, it doesn't make a lot of sense as anything except for a band-aid fix. A good patch to temporarily bring them in line with other forms of attack, while we (someone? eventually?) works on a longer term solution that makes more sense.
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/16/2014 07:49 PM CDT
Them being less accurate makes perfect sense and is a great long term solution. They were essentially a snapshot ranged attack without the snapshot accuracy penalty. Thrown has no aim mechanic, so they had all the benefits of melee AND ranged attacks.
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/16/2014 09:56 PM CDT

I haven't been able to find a way or a reason to legitimately use thrown in a PVP situation with an at level opponent since probably 3.0.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/17/2014 09:20 AM CDT
>>Why should they be inherently less accurate?

THROW is exactly as accurate as melee weapons on average.

HURL is slightly more accurate than melee weapons on average.

LOB is slightly less accurate than melee weapons on average.

I just tested and confirmed this appears to be working.

In melee combat you are usually more balanced, and this will bonus your OF and improve your chance to hit a little. Some melee attacks (CHOP, LUNGE, DRAW) have a small OF bonus. Thrown weapons also tend to be less balanced than melee weapons, and give less of an OF bonus there.

I think combined together this is creating the problems you are experiencing. But in my opinion it is more balanced than it was previously. Annoyed the hell out of me that thrown weapons were the goto weapon for PvP.

Thrown weapons work regardless of range. This gives the attacker an advantage when the enemy is trying to retreat or otherwise maneuver on the battlefield. It lets them tag enemies as they run by the room, or when the enemy tries to run by their room.

Thrown does not require many seconds of AIM time just to break even on the to-hit roll.

Thrown sidesteps an intended game mechanic that I am not allowed to change, via bonding potions.

With HURL you are almost guaranteed to lodge 1 thing while closing to melee. This is like an unlimited DoT for free.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/17/2014 10:18 AM CDT
>Probably belongs in some other folder, but I am going to rant here since it is on my mind and I have to go soon. As long as I have played my Paladin I have run the range of disappointed to enraged by Paladin development/adjustments/whatever it is the GM's are doing. There have been a few bright spots, but all in all, I am having less and less fun playing him with each change that comes out. At first I was excited about 3.0, but I really have a hard time getting myself to log on anymore to push numbers or find something fun to do. It might just be me. But I find frustration and lack of development for the guild for years rather discouraging. I have no real alts.. might try that, I don't know.

This is a discussion I really want to have, so I've moved it over to the paladin forum for anyone who wants to join.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Paladins/Complaints/thread/1643069
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/17/2014 10:26 AM CDT
>THROW is exactly as accurate as melee weapons on average.

>HURL is slightly more accurate than melee weapons on average.

>LOB is slightly less accurate than melee weapons on average.

>I just tested and confirmed this appears to be working.

I can reconfirm the tests however; slightly less accurate doesn't match up to the experience I had. If you look back at the numbers I went from a 24% hit rate to a 74% hit rate by switching from a throwing hammer to a maul which has the same balance, and 50 less ranks. I'll perform the tests using hurl and see how that matches up.

>In melee combat you are usually more balanced, and this will bonus your OF and improve your chance to hit a little. Some melee attacks (CHOP, LUNGE, DRAW) have a small OF bonus. Thrown weapons also tend to be less balanced than melee weapons, and give less of an OF bonus there.

>I think combined together this is creating the problems you are experiencing. But in my opinion it is more balanced than it was previously. Annoyed the hell out of me that thrown weapons were the goto weapon for PvP.

I took some of these thoughts into consideration when I initially did my test. For starters, Centering was up so I wasn't at a base balance of solidly. I do recognize using a melee weapon will get you to incredibly so we're talking about a 2 level balance increase for attacks. For the weapons, they were both in the same tier of balance. I understand too it's just a range and it could be low end vs high end on the spectrum. However; that is such a huge disparity in accuracy when we're talking about a similar balance range on a weapon and nimbly balanced vs incredibly balanced.

>Thrown weapons work regardless of range. This gives the attacker an advantage when the enemy is trying to retreat or otherwise maneuver on the battlefield. It lets them tag enemies as they run by the room, or when the enemy tries to run by their room.

>Thrown does not require many seconds of AIM time just to break even on the to-hit roll.

>Thrown sidesteps an intended game mechanic that I am not allowed to change, via bonding potions.

>With HURL you are almost guaranteed to lodge 1 thing while closing to melee. This is like an unlimited DoT for free.

I realize the benefits of using thrown over melee weapons and I know some balancing definitely has to occur. My experience has been that the changes have made them a little too inaccurate. If that's meant to be I can accept that, it just seems like too big of a penalty when comparing it to melee weapons.
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/17/2014 10:28 AM CDT
>Difference in melee mastery and missile mastery perhaps?

Negative, 981 vs 978.
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/17/2014 03:12 PM CDT
The top-end of incredibly balanced is a sufficient enough OF bonus to account for the to-hit differences you are seeing.

Also, what type of attack were you using? BASH?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/26/2014 04:54 PM CDT

>With HURL you are almost guaranteed to lodge 1 thing while closing to melee. This is like an unlimited DoT for free.

Since you brought it up... could someone please look at this. I really don't think its causing any Damage over Time at all.

At least its certainly not enough to just be dwarfed by natural vitality regen rates.

Lodged damage and bleeding damage need a serious over haul.

I know I'm probably singing to the choir but just wanted to show my interest in seeing stuff like multi-throwing blades and sliver weapons be useful for one thing in a game where they are currently useful for no thing.
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/26/2014 08:05 PM CDT
>>bleeding damage

Bleeding damage changed last month to be 3x more potent. That resulted in dozens of "sky is falling" posts about how hard it was making the game :chuckle: Might want to re-test?

Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/26/2014 10:01 PM CDT
>Bleeding damage changed last month to be 3x more potent. That resulted in dozens of "sky is falling" posts about how hard it was making the game

Did the bleeding change revert back by any chance? The last couple of dozen bleeding wounds I've gotten from boxes and sorcery mishaps haven't been nailing my vitality.

Vote:
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/26/2014 10:59 PM CDT
>Might want to re-test?

Great, I will, but I can honestly say I haven't noticed any increased bleeding vitality damage... honestly I haven't seen a single post about it despite coming to the forums multiple times every single day.

Guess I missed all of that somehow. If someone has the link I would appreciate it.

How about the damage that is supposed to happen from leaving something lodged, when it wiggles around in the wound?

Thanks.
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/27/2014 01:01 PM CDT

I'm sorry guys but Shatter + Halt + Hurl = huge damage. The Paladin QQ party needs to relax a little, since as Samsaren aptly brought up 2.0 WAS THE WORST FOR PALADIN. 3.X going forward is sooo much better. Just be patient on some more development (I'm looking forward to endurance skill).

Also what are you fighting with Thrown that you are missing so much? Does it use a shield? is it a quadruped or biped? does it have spells? You showed info on your stats and what attack you are using; however what you are hunting makes a huge difference. I use "throw" while hunting Resus in the abbey and don't miss hardly at all.
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/27/2014 03:57 PM CDT
I've rolled a couple newbs lately and HT is bar-none the best DPS out there. Lob is working as accurate as melee or moreso. Just a view from the current 0-125 range.

Death to all who oppose me, etc.
--Armifer
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/27/2014 03:58 PM CDT
>I'm sorry guys but Shatter + Halt + Hurl = huge damage.

This is accurate. Shatter + Halt + any attack is huge damage if someone's in a shield stance even sometimes with barriers up. My only complaint is about landing hits with any weapon outside that ~6 second window and inability to hit people with ranged weapons without shatter (unbuffed secondary skill < buffed tertiary skill at high skill ranges). I'm starting to think my troubles are simply too few debilitation options in this era of combat where debilitation is what wins fights and engagement time being too long for a melee heavy focus.

I don't care if I can't hit people who are more skilled than my paladin and I don't mind losing to people who have more skill ranks either. I play for competitive PvP. Close matches for me right now have been either too quick or agonizingly slow. I tend to prefer the former to the latter, no matter which way it goes.
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/27/2014 05:39 PM CDT
<I've rolled a couple newbs lately and HT is bar-none the best DPS out there. Lob is working as accurate as melee or moreso. Just a view from the current 0-125 range.

I have had the opposite experience with my barb, 123 ranks in both LE and HT. LE hits critters more, hurts critters more, and kills them faster than HT. I am constantly missing and doing less damage. Equipment is store bought and same is without forms and with forms (Dragon and Eagle respectively). This is with day bargs and unyns out the west gate of Riverhaven. Lob and hurl help, but not much (can't hurl too much anyway because of the lodging).

I noticed the change to HT with my Pallie, but there is a pretty good rank disparity between LE and HT so I figured that was it.

This makes it difficult to train HT unless I find a critter and under-hunt. Not happy with this change.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/27/2014 05:44 PM CDT
<The Paladin QQ party needs to relax a little

<...this era of combat where debilitation is what wins fights and engagement time being too long for a melee heavy focus.

This is the suck part for a melee primary Paladin.

For my Paladin I just don't have the ranks/stats to disable reliably, nor the stats to resist disables. This is a personal problem though, not a 3.X problem.

~~~
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/27/2014 10:09 PM CDT
>>but there is a pretty good rank disparity between LE and HT so I figured that was it.

Well, yeah... less ranks usually means less effective in RPGs.

Can people please post their appraise results of these critters? It might give some insight into how hard the combat system believes the challenge to be.

Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/27/2014 10:42 PM CDT
Before the change, with 70 ranks less than LE (880), my HT (810) would tear up drakes. Something needed to be done, I suppose since you wanted to make sure thrown was not the goto attack.

~~~
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/27/2014 10:43 PM CDT
LT and HT are sweet for pve kinda meh for at level PVP at least higher level PVP. I'll mess with mid and lowers later. Note this is with eagle as a barb.

Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/27/2014 10:49 PM CDT
>Can people please post their appraise results of these critters? It might give some insight into how hard the combat system believes the challenge to be.

You have mine from the original post FWIW.
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/27/2014 10:55 PM CDT
<<I have had the opposite experience with my barb, 123 ranks in both LE and HT. LE hits critters more, hurts critters more, and kills them faster than HT.>>

LT is second in DPS for me, and you're right, it would be first if I used a little better weapon template (I've been using throwing dagger vs HT spear, lob).

Both are head and shoulders over all other ranged and TM DPS in this early range, so, I'm just saying...thrown isn't not so bad.

<<For my Paladin I just don't have the ranks/stats to disable reliably, nor the stats to resist disables. This is a personal problem though, not a 3.X problem.>>

Sounds like you're overmatched and/or have barriers in play each side. As noted, halt/shatter hurt and SvS generally is a joke of a win at level if barriers are out and the stat contest is anything remotely close to equal.

--Armifer
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/27/2014 11:03 PM CDT
Why do my appraisals vs my critter matter at all? I'm fighting the exact same critter with the exact same ranks in LT, HT, Crossbow, TM (and on one character long bow). The DPS/kill rate is not even remotely close. LT and HT dominate with lob. I don't really care about the weapon output anymore, my main is where he is, but I noticed it because I was chasing kills for my ranger (for skinning) and my necro (for thano). In both cases, I go to HT spear to kill as fast as I can, all ranks being equal (which they are).

I don't have any basis to doubt the offensive thrown users' claim that thrown sucks in PvP (I claim myself that crossbow generally sucks in PvP for DPS). What I think is happening is that offense generally sucks at higher levels of PvP and people are generally complaining that whatever their "prime" pvp offense is, isn't working as well as they'd like.

Because none of them are.

If anyone with equal bow, crossbow, thrown, tm, at +800 ranks, wants to weigh in, that'd be helpful.

--Armifer
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/27/2014 11:10 PM CDT
My complaint about thrown has nothing to do with PvP.

~~~
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/28/2014 12:15 AM CDT
Right, but others did. Not trying to urinate in your complaint cereal, Seb, just saying I don't see anything remotely like your whine in my own newb thrown PvE. Sorry. I'd train HT or LT all over again in place of Crossbow if I had the choice now with Traim. Sorry it sucks for you.

--Armifer
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/28/2014 08:16 AM CDT
Seb I'm not having any trouble killing wyverns with LT or HT, they actually (pve) kill them faster than my polearm.

HT and LT seem relatively similar with DPS. I'm literally using store bought thrown and using THROW when I hunt. Also I don't even use eagle half the time out of laziness.

My smaller character has no trouble wrecking celps, and my smallest character murders swaims just using a rock. Perhaps this is a drake specific issue? I haven't hunted them since 3.1.

Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 06/28/2014 08:31 AM CDT
No. no..not in Drakes. This is with my little barb with similar ranks (123) using throw.. LE vs. HT. The main advantage to HT isn't DPS for him, its fatigue management. Critters are unyns where HT is horrible (I suspect shield) and day bargs where LE is a little better.

The Drakes with Seb are because of a rank disparity. I definitely noticed the change in HT with them because I can no longer hit them with HT whereas before when I first started hunting them, with 70 less in HT than LE, I used HT as crowd control.

On the PvP side of things, with Seb, I only had success with HT when the opponent had no shield or I outclassed them before the change. I do not PvP a lot like some here, so I have absolutely no basis to comment on it. I would suspect, though, with the auto-stance thing, it would be useless for me.

Wait.. I just read back. You guys are talking LT vs. HT. I am talking melee vs. ranged - LE vs. HT.
~~~
Re: Why is thrown so inaccurate? 01/03/2015 06:06 PM CST
Sorry to rezz this old thread, but I really have been irritated with how bad thrown seems to be for my character at the moment. I know that alot of different things go into balancing a weapon for any said guild, and maybe some guilds have big means of boosting thrown by boosting balance, and or a offensive rank bonus. But as a Necromancer and having no way to boost balance or LT as my main, it's a real pain in the ass. LT for me at right around 700 is basically worthless in every situation I find myself in besides underhunting. Even using bob and gaining a slight balance bonus with hurl; I have a much easier time hitting with a bit over 600 SE.

Not sure what to even recommend happening here, maybe lob garnering a balance gain up to the same as a melee weapon, I dunno.
Prev_page Previous 1