Sense Check: Naptha 03/03/2013 05:39 AM CST
So I've been playing around with Naptha for the past week or so after a discussion myself and a few other HLC barbs had regarding its viability in PvP, and I've found that on top of it doing absurd amounts of damage(anyone who has hunted Shalswars knows how devastating it is), with 1218 LT there seems to be pretty much no one I can't hit with it, which is a huge problem considering how powerful it is and how fast it can be chained off. Had planned on going to Theren and getting some live test results Thursday night( ;-) ), but didn't get the chance.

Assuming it lands, it's a lose/lose for the person who gets hit - stop drop and roll is guaranteed death from the person attacking, and whose to say they can't just throw more naptha while doing that? Not trying to put it out is also a death sentence, it takes 4-5 pulses to kill. If you get hit with a stun, you probably wouldn't be able to react until its too late(past 2 pulses is the point of no return).

IMO, a downtweak on the damage/vitality would be the best course of action. If it's going to work like a DoT, let it work like one. The critical hit/miss rate alone makes it OP, you can just spam Naptha until the person get a critical block failure and it lands. Around the at-level mark, it's one of the most powerful attacks in the game currently.

Thanks.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Sense Check: Naptha 03/03/2013 05:45 AM CST
one of my friends was testing it out and he could light a torch on fire and machine gun the flaming torch at 1-2 seconds after throwing a bottle of naphtha on someone.

didn't matter that most of the time he missed, all he needed to do was make contact with the flaming torch once and boom, naphtha explosion and burning for several pulses due to the fact the bottles have so many doses, like 7 i think. and the vials can be combined to crazy doses too.

so basically throw naphtha, light torch on fire, machine gun LT flaming torch at 1-2 seconds a throw until contact is made = naphtha explosion & several rounds of burning profit
Re: Sense Check: Naptha 03/03/2013 08:34 AM CST
Agree. It's an auto-win PvP button right now imo.
Re: Sense Check: Naptha 03/03/2013 01:14 PM CST
But, wow is it fun to watch.

Madigan
Re: Sense Check: Naptha 03/03/2013 03:51 PM CST
<<But, wow is it fun to watch.>>
Re: Sense Check: Naptha 03/03/2013 04:09 PM CST
>>didn't matter that most of the time he missed, all he needed to do was make contact with the flaming torch once and boom, naphtha explosion and burning for several pulses due to the fact the bottles have so many doses, like 7 i think. and the vials can be combined to crazy doses too.

Yeah the bottles have 7 doses but for me they always seem to burn off in 1 pulse. Is anyone else having them last more than that?
Re: Sense Check: Naptha 03/08/2013 11:25 AM CST
I wonder if being on fire damage takes fire protection/absorption into account.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Sense Check: Naptha 03/08/2013 11:55 AM CST
>>I wonder if being on fire damage takes fire protection/absorption into account.

No, because naphtha/on fire mechanics do not go through core combat.

Won't trigger anti-elemental barriers (Toad, ES, Grounding Field) either because of this.