shard blades and stackable blades and necromancers? 02/10/2013 10:09 AM CST

Ok i was wondering if Necromancers would be able to learn throwing 5 shard blades at the lower rate would be considered or implemented as they are survival prime and have a light edge requirement. Seems Necros would be legit to learn at the lower rate considering these facts
Re: shard blades and stackable blades and necromancers? 02/10/2013 11:41 AM CST
>>survival prime
>>light edge requirement

I fail to see how any of that is relevant to your request.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: shard blades and stackable blades and necromancers? 02/10/2013 03:30 PM CST

Thematically apt to be highly proficient with small, light edged weapons, secreted away about ones person in a stealthy fashion.

Why do bards or thieves get it? What's the reasoning for them? Thematics. I would figure necromancers to be highly proficient with all types of knives, and throwing blades are knives. I mean, c'mon... Philosophers of the Knife.. what's not to see?
Re: shard blades and stackable blades and necromancers? 02/10/2013 03:40 PM CST
I always thought this could be a possibility, but then again I guess it doesn't matter one way or the other to me.
Re: shard blades and stackable blades and necromancers? 02/10/2013 03:47 PM CST

meh, it really doesn't to me either. It would be nice, but as a weapon tert, it would be a lackluster bonus.
Re: shard blades and stackable blades and necromancers? 02/10/2013 03:56 PM CST
>>Thematically apt to be highly proficient with small, light edged weapons, secreted away about ones person in a stealthy fashion.

None of which implicitly describes throwing multiple blades at once. What you have described is proficiency with slip. Hey, you get slip!

>>Why do bards or thieves get it? What's the reasoning for them? Thematics. I would figure necromancers to be highly proficient with all types of knives, and throwing blades are knives. I mean, c'mon... Philosophers of the Knife.. what's not to see?

As you mention it's thematic. They are thematically similar to slight of hand tricks. Both bards, and thieves have thematic tie ins with rogue/gambler archetypes. The necromancer guild does not. In addition, you're very clearly twisting the name Philosophers of the Knife in a post hoc argument in support of the idea that you've already decided that Necromancers should get this perk.

If you truly do not see the difference between the thantalogical requirement of a 'belt knife' (which CANNOT be used for combat) and a throwing blade, I'm not sure what to tell you.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: shard blades and stackable blades and necromancers? 02/10/2013 07:24 PM CST
GM Armifer has repeatedly mentioned that the familiarity has to do with basic aptitude for guild stuff (a good surgeon is familiar with how to use a knife) rather than any guild teaching (surgeons don't get taught how to fight with a knife).

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: shard blades and stackable blades and necromancers? 02/10/2013 08:46 PM CST
> GM Armifer has repeatedly mentioned that the familiarity has to do with basic aptitude for guild stuff (a good surgeon is familiar with how to use a knife) rather than any guild teaching (surgeons don't get taught how to fight with a knife).

This has come up a lot, and Caraamon here has the right of it. The LE requirement is to symbolize the familiarity a necromance would have with the knife as a surgeon. Cutting, anatomy, that sort of thing. Not knife fighting. It's also why the requirement was low to negligable in 2.0.

Pants.