throwing-blade style HT 06/16/2012 04:27 PM CDT
Any chances of this happening?

Would be great if you could have a smaller, javelin-sized HT that you can hold in one hand and with sufficient skill throw multiples. Heck, I'd even be happy with a fistful of HT rocks or stones that could be thrown in multiples. Axes? Something?

You snap your furry fingers.
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/16/2012 08:19 PM CDT
I'd like some HT love of any sort, really. LT has throwing blades and naphtha. I vaguely recall hearing plans for a net that would entangle people that would be HT, but I don't think that ever materialized.
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/16/2012 09:04 PM CDT
>>I'd like some love for HT of any sort, really.

Same here, truthfully. Heck, make poach only for HT just to irk Leilond. Just something, even special-style or function weapons, like...(see below)

>>plans for a net that would entangle people

I remember that. That was a swell idea. Not all the guilds have a snare spell, this would be nice.

Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/16/2012 09:42 PM CDT
I could see a double throw attack being possible, it would have an offhand req though

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/16/2012 09:46 PM CDT
>>I could see a double throw attack being possible, it would have an offhand req though

I would be good with this. I train offhand and that would be one way to give it some viability as far as use for the skill beyond just being a southpaw.

Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/16/2012 10:10 PM CDT
I'd be happy with "some heavy throwing blades", even with a template copy of the current LT throwing blades honestly.
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/16/2012 10:14 PM CDT
>heavy throwing blades

Yeah, its not really about the damage potential as it is the ease-of-use and likelihood of some devastating hits to opponents balance.

Also, I just wanna throw five things at once too.

Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/16/2012 10:18 PM CDT
>Also, I just wanna throw five things at once too.

I figure, reduce it to 3 thrown things just so it's 'not as good' as LT, since LT is probably supposed to be the premier multiple-thrown-weapons thing.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/16/2012 10:24 PM CDT
>>'not as good'

Ya know, I can deal with this too. As long as they have damage stats like an HT would (IE: heavy puncture, heavy impact, heavy slice, etc.) and not something that would be undesirable or unreasonable.

It would make sense with most HT's weighing over 30 stones (some upwards to 70-100) that a throw of 3 would be the limit. Would still make for an awesome weapon and as long as it didn't peek over into the severe or great damage rating, I don't think it would be OP at all.

Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/16/2012 10:41 PM CDT
It'd probably end up being something like very moderate slice akin to how throwing blades are on the low side of damage in terms of what LT in general is able to produce.

Also the 3 throws seems fair as they would take the min RT of each throw, for a max of 6 RT for all 3 throws.

__
You hear the voice of Jaedren exclaim, "Look! I'm Leilond!"
You notice Jaedren come out of hiding.
Jaedren shimmers out of sight.
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/16/2012 10:51 PM CDT
>>very moderate

I guess that would be okay, I'd still rather see "somewhat heavy" or just "heavy" but that could always bee a quest/auction type item for a later release. Give me something to drool over and scheme about, kinda like a mirror blade :)

>>max of 6 RT for all 3 throws.

Yeah thinking about it like this makes some sense as well. That would still keep it having more RT than throwing blades, which seems to be the standard to using heavier weapons with more damage output. And a 6 sec RT is reasonable enough, long enough to be a rational penalty for the action without being too long as to hinder training/use.

Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/17/2012 12:52 AM CDT
Mod damage, three throws max, 5-6 RT seems very reasonable to me.
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/17/2012 02:32 PM CDT
Make it so!

-=Issus=-
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/17/2012 04:16 PM CDT
I use both LT and HT but it seems kind of silly to me, how realistic is it that people throw 3 throwing axes or whatever at once? I could see the 2 throw idea with offhand calculations but come on now. The only other thing I could see throwing multiple of with 1 hand would be maybe 2 tomahawks and those would be classified as a LT weapon anyway.
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/17/2012 04:24 PM CDT
>>seems kind of silly.

Nah, I could totally see a handful of heavy stones or some light javelins. We are superhero's.

>>dual-thrown

Yeah this would be cool for all thrown weapons, not just HT. Imagine how insane a dual-throw would be when coupled with a multiple thrown weapon. Just... wow.

>> realistic

This does not compute. We are in DR, realism is a farce.

Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/17/2012 04:26 PM CDT
AFAIK, there's pushback against making new stacked throwables (other than just doing a copy/paste of the current blade template) because it's so grossly overpowered (in the eyes of GMs, at least).

I'm all for the ideas suggested here, especially the dual throw one. But if you were wondering why we didn't see forged throwing blades, or HT blade equivalents, etc, that's my understanding of why.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/17/2012 04:28 PM CDT
>>pushback

boo.

Now that I think about it, I kinda remember hearing this as well. It was awhile back, IIRC. Well, damn.

Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/17/2012 04:34 PM CDT
IMO, I'd say dual-throwing axes would fall outside the issue with stackable throwing weapons, though.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/17/2012 05:02 PM CDT
>I use both LT and HT but it seems kind of silly to me

It always seemed silly to me that stacked throwing blades existed, since there's no way physics supports that, so stretching the suspension of disbelief to allow for heavier versions isn't much.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/17/2012 05:19 PM CDT
>>It always seemed silly to me that stacked throwing blades existed, since there's no way physics supports that, so stretching the suspension of disbelief to allow for heavier versions isn't much.

The only thing of questionable reasoning is why you'd be holding five knives if you could only throw two, for example. Throwing multiple blades isn't abnormal as a concept.

Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/17/2012 05:41 PM CDT
>It always seemed silly to me that stacked throwing blades existed, since there's no way physics supports that, so stretching the suspension of disbelief to allow for heavier versions isn't much.

Not sure if you were trying to say it doesn't seem feasible? Its quite feasible to throw multiple throwing blades. The thin metal grip kind.
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/18/2012 12:42 AM CDT
>>AFAIK, there's pushback against making new stacked throwables (other than just doing a copy/paste of the current blade template) because it's so grossly overpowered (in the eyes of GMs, at least).

I'm not sure why this would be the case. Throwing blades are great for clearing out trash mobs, but if you're fighting something near or above the cusp of your actual skill level, a non-stackable weapon with consolidated damage is highly preferable.

Throwing blades look cool in logs (apocalyptic strike x4! Omgz!) but I do not think their "dps" is anything more than a normal weapon.
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/18/2012 03:59 AM CDT
>>Throwing blades look cool in logs (apocalyptic strike x4! Omgz!) but I do not think their "dps" is anything more than a normal weapon.

I'm not sure about DPS, but they certainly train faster.

~The Prydaen~
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/18/2012 04:39 AM CDT
>>I'm not sure about DPS, but they certainly train faster.

Yes :)
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/18/2012 07:33 AM CDT
>>Throwing blades look cool in logs (apocalyptic strike x4! Omgz!) but I do not think their "dps" is anything more than a normal weapon.

Malkien you're insane! :)

Their DPS is higher than anything I ever used before by a long shot. (On natural critters)

Armored/shield using critters may be more normalized, but natural critters I would say the DPS is literally 5 times higher when you can throw 5 blades.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/18/2012 07:47 AM CDT
>>Armored/shield using critters may be more normalized, but natural critters I would say the DPS is literally 5 times higher when you can throw 5 blades

Yes, you're probably right. I should specify that I was thinking mostly of PvP at similar skill level. I don't have a lot of luck against shields with throwing blades; just end up whiffing, and anything that gets through is deflected by armor. A nice heavy bolo or mallet does the trick nicely, though. In that case, dps is actually higher with a mallet, cause 0 x 5 is still 0.

The main idea was that their amazing-ness is situational, and they're not OP, at least not in the sense that they would completely replace rare metal hammers.
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/18/2012 09:06 AM CDT
>>I don't have a lot of luck against shields with throwing blades; just end up whiffing, and anything that gets through is deflected by armor. A nice heavy bolo or mallet does the trick nicely, though.

Part of me wonders if that has more to do with the bolo/mallet being impact as opposed to puncture/slice.

Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/18/2012 10:07 AM CDT
>>Part of me wonders if that has more to do with the bolo/mallet being impact as opposed to puncture/slice.

Most types of player armor, especially the popular armors, don't appreciably differ in protections between these.
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/19/2012 07:17 PM CDT
Forget multiple-thrown, how about attaching a chain or cable to my spear? Throw it, lodge it - yank it back, possibly pulling the target over/down to its knees. That would be sweet. "Pull chain" rather than having to /get spear from third [critter]. Could be an HT/Str check. Depending on quality of lodge + skill would consider a fail, semi fail (pull it out /falls to the ground) semi success (pulls to ground but you quickly (automatically) scoop it up) or success (yank it back, catching it in mid air).

Would LOVE to see this come to light :) Would make the nice, lodging HTs much more viable again, and fun for training. Until then, I'm stuck with hammers.
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/19/2012 08:26 PM CDT
>>Would LOVE to see this come to light :) Would make the nice, lodging HTs much more viable again, and fun for training. Until then, I'm stuck with hammers.

Sort of like the dragon priest attack? That's petty sweet, I'd be on board for that 100%. You could always bond a spear if you want the effect minus the pull-down.
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/19/2012 10:11 PM CDT
Didnt know dragon priests had that style attack? Your right about bonding, but a few things concern me. One, you have to be premie - Or get the "Limited charge" potion from Akwiges (Boy was I pissed when I came to the realization that was per charge,not per Weapon on that one. Guess it was "too good to be true"). Also I've been told (tho not confirmed by GM) that using the potion to retrieve a lodged weapon is, in a way, abuse. It wasn't meant for XP gain, but for retrieving a weapon that you may have dropped in death or otherwise "lost". I also heard that because that wasnt the intended use, there are plans to implement a timer between uses and/or a NO XP timer. Again, none of this was confirmed, but it makes sense. It definitely made me think twice about wanting to go premie to bond my spear..

Back to the chain, would love to see this idea expanded to axes as well, especially since my dwarf is all axe & hammers, but it wouldn't make sense. You hurl an axe or a hammer, they fly end over end. A chain or cable would screw up the flight. Some kind of Magical attachment could be implemented (as I quickly flip over to the WM Folder) but a chain on any type of straight-thrown weapon certainly does make sense.

Heck, I'm saying chain and cable - but thinkin about it,, more like a leather strap or cord. The weapon strap is already there, why wouldn't you yank on that for better success when trying to pull a spear out of your opponents chest? Or quickly unhook 1-end, and hanging onto it?
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/20/2012 12:37 AM CDT
>>Also I've been told (tho not confirmed by GM) that using the potion to retrieve a lodged weapon is, in a way, abuse

I've never heard that at all. I could have sworn that was even one of the ways the potions were promoted in the first place. "Don't have a critter wander off with your weapon" and etc etc etc.

Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/20/2012 01:08 AM CDT
If that's the case then awesome! Unless this idea were implemented, the potion is my only feasable option for using a lodging HT! Now I just have to come to a decision on a special metal axe, or this spear!
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/20/2012 09:41 AM CDT
>I've never heard that at all. I could have sworn that was even one of the ways the potions were promoted in the first place. "Don't have a critter wander off with your weapon" and etc etc etc.

I've heard it as well. The bonding potions were developed to prevent permanent weapon loss. IE, you die with it lodged in a critter. (Happened to me years ago with a Rock Guardian and set of 5 auction tagos =( )

I don't believe they were made to completely sidestep the brawling xp-checked 'pull out' ability.

I think the idea is:

GOOD:
lodge
die
invoke

BAD:
lodge
invoke
lodge
invoke
lodge
invoke
till mind locked
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/20/2012 10:00 AM CDT
I'm also of the opinion that using the potion to invoke a lodged thrown back to your hand is a-ok. It's a potion that does one thing: Makes a weapon return to your hand. I'm pretty sure the consensus was "Whatever way you want to use that, go for it." If a GM could chime in officially, though, that'd be great!

-=Issus=-
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/20/2012 10:15 AM CDT
Pretty sure people use the bond weapon spell the same way. Not sure why it would be (mechanically) all that different.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: throwing-blade style HT 06/20/2012 10:17 AM CDT
>>Pretty sure people use the bond weapon spell the same way.

Outside of invasions, that's the only reason I used Bond Weapon.