Tactics training 01/21/2018 01:02 AM CST
Sorry to bother, but I wanted to ask if anyone else is having a problem where tactics randomly just refuse to train? I mean, some days it will train, and others in the exact same area, nothing. I have changed stances, added in Ana <critter>, shoved, everything, but sometimes it just will not train, and then there are others (several days worth here late) of nothing. For reference, this is the Fang Cover Serpents where I am back training some stuff. Tactis skill is 171 with Armors, Shield and Parry all being higher and still mind locking at what I consider a decent amount of time, yeah sometimes (a lot lately) Tactics moves not at all. Brawling locks there as well (though it might take a short bit longer, depending on the spawn and such)... so I can't see that being an issue either. Thank you for any and all assistance here.
Re: Tactics training 01/21/2018 08:06 AM CST
Tactics is tricky to just rely on passive experience, especially with back-training, because it really only moves with 3+ engaged opponents.

It sounds like you're close to the soft cap for these critters. Have you tried actively training it, i.e. completing the analyze combo? I know you said you used the verb but just analyzing only awards a trickle of experience, it's much better to complete the combo. That usually awards several mindstates worth of exp.
Re: Tactics training 01/21/2018 08:10 AM CST
Also, shove is probably the worst maneuver experience-wise. Try circle/bob/weave one after another.
Re: Tactics training 01/21/2018 11:50 AM CST

I should have mentioned that I have done this combo, yes, for hours on end, and nothing of late, though a few days ago it locked. I also have tried the full combo of Ana <critter> and nothing now. Maybe you are right and I have moved past them exp wise, but it just didn't seem that way since it locked fairly decently a few days back, as well as the skill being lower than my Defenses. I mean, I know it is a lore skill, but I would still think that it would train wherever my defenses trained at, thus my being curious... though maybe it follows along with weapon training instead? I know that critters don't always teach weapons and defenses to the same amount and The weapons I am back training are all a good 50-80 points behind that, so can't compare them as yet... so maybe it is that? If that is the case, then I understand, but if not, then I maybe broke something, again, somehow lol. Anyways, thank you once again for your time and assistance.
Re: Tactics training 01/21/2018 12:12 PM CST
Tactics works on a different scale than both weapon experience and armor/defense experience. It has been my general experience that it soft caps sooner than defenses do.

I also believe that critters have some level of random number generation involved with their stats and skills, within a narrow range. The broad ranges of the critter appraisal categories have made this difficult to prove but I have had instances in the past where several critters in a row have left me at <skill xxxx> 0/34 and then the next critter of the same type moves it up to 3/34.

It's very likely that you haven't broken anything and that nothing is broken about you, you just need to move up the chain if you wish to continue training tactics.
Re: Tactics training 01/21/2018 12:46 PM CST

Hmmm, That is a good possibility indeed, and aye, I kind of guessed it was going to sit where it was until I moved up the ladder, but that may be a little while since I am changing primary weapons and armors (thus the back training lol). I thank you for your time and all assistance that has been given.
Re: Tactics training 01/21/2018 10:14 PM CST

Annnndddd back in here again, nothing changed and all of a sudden they are teaching tactics great.. like really good. So, I give up trying to understand it, just going to enjoy it while it lasts lol.
Re: Tactics training 01/22/2018 02:04 AM CST
>I also believe that critters have some level of random number generation involved with their stats and skills, within a narrow range. The broad ranges of the critter appraisal categories have made this difficult to prove but I have had instances in the past where several critters in a row have left me at <skill xxxx> 0/34 and then the next critter of the same type moves it up to 3/34.

This is very true, and the range is more random spawn within a broad range and critter appraisal ranges are expansive -- but the random variance is large enough of a swing to notice in the appraisal in edge-cases. You could roll the lowest possible critter variety for hours than pop a series of highest possible outcome variety.

Tactics will by nature train slower than defenses since you can't execute tactics commands anywhere near as often as your defenses are being checked.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.
They're proud of them." -Raesh, on history
Re: Tactics training 02/06/2018 08:01 PM CST
If tactics maneuvers (shove/weave/bob/circle) aren't working well for you at times you can try adding in charged combat maneuvers to see if they will teach.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Combat_maneuvers#Charged_Maneuvers

You can start with Doublestrike. Once it's on cooldown, do Rush until it's on cooldown. Move to Cleave. Rinse and repeat once Doublestrike is on cooldown.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Tactics training 02/25/2018 12:31 AM CST

Thank you both for your time and information, and I apologize for not having responded before this, but I have been away from my computer for weeks now and thus haven't checked forums, much less played, in quite awhile. I will take to heart the information about the randomness of the spawn difficulty and also the thought that was presented on how Tactics possibly soft caps out before other defenses, and I will certainly practice with the charged maneuvers as well (I was just avoiding them so I didn't end up killing the targets too often lol).

Once again, thank you both.