Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/15/2011 06:40 PM CST
My Pally just got Holy Warrior spell, so I decided to give it a go in the Young Brocket Deer area. When cast, I set my custom stance to Eva 100 Shi 100 Par 62 Att 0. The evasion gets checked first, followed by the shield, right? If both fail, shouldn't my parry pick up the remainder of the attack? I'm still getting hit saying that I "partially blocked the blow with my shield" or something along those lines. Shouldn't it be that I partially block it with my parry stick since that's my last line of defense at this point? Thanks-in-advance.

Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/15/2011 06:48 PM CST
>>I'm still getting hit saying that I "partially blocked the blow with my shield" or something along those lines. Shouldn't it be that I partially block it with my parry stick since that's my last line of defense at this point? Thanks-in-advance.

Combat messaging is odd. Whichever defense picked up most of the attack, is what gets messaged.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/15/2011 06:48 PM CST
>>Epoch: I set my custom stance to Eva 100 Shi 100 Par 62 Att 0. The evasion gets checked first, followed by the shield, right? If both fail, shouldn't my parry pick up the remainder of the attack? I'm still getting hit saying that I "partially blocked the blow with my shield" or something along those lines.

1. Evasion
2. Shield or Parry (whichever is more effective)
3. Shield or Parry (whichever is less effective)

The messaging can be deceptive, however.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/15/2011 06:51 PM CST
DR combat is set-up for two defenses, so the attack will contest evasion and then shield like you said. But it will ignore your parry.

Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/15/2011 06:52 PM CST
>>DR combat is set-up for two defenses, so the attack will contest evasion and then shield like you said. But it will ignore your parry.

This is incredibly not true. Shield/Parry just don't reduce the OF by much when compared to evasion, when they partially succeed.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/15/2011 07:02 PM CST
>>This is incredibly not true. Shield/Parry just don't reduce the OF by much when compared to evasion, when they partially succeed.

Oh, I stand corrected then. Not sure why I thought that then, but I thought that for several years now heh.

Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/15/2011 07:03 PM CST
>>MartinCoty77: DR combat is set-up for two defenses, so the attack will contest evasion and then shield like you said. But it will ignore your parry.

If that were true, you wouldn't gain any parry experience, but:

You are currently using 47% of your evasion skill.
You are currently using 100% of your shield block skill.
You are currently using 100% of your weapon parry skill.
You are attacking with 100% of your offensive skill.

* Driving in like an unbeatable force, a fledgling forest gryphon snaps its sharp beak at you. You partially block with a shield azure bearing a gryphon argent sajant.
The beak lands a brushing (0/23) strike to your abdomen.
[You're invigorated, energetic, incredibly balanced and in dominating position.]
R>
Learned: Heavy Plate, Light Edged, Multi Opponent, Parry Ability, Shield Usage, Evasion, Light Chain, Heavy Chain, Light Plate

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/15/2011 11:37 PM CST
Well, I just got knocked around in the deer area using Evasion 100 shield 100 parry 62 attack 0. Shield at 130, evasion at 124, and parry 117. I just want to get something straight though: 100% of shield blocked say (for example) 50% of the blow. This leaves parry (62%) to block the other 50%? I just want to make sure that this is happening, rather than the blow only taking into account my evasion and shield only, and forgetting parry altogether. Thanks.

Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/15/2011 11:48 PM CST
I do believe that's what happens, but as was mentioned earlier, you're only going to see a message for the defense that absorbs/deflects/avoids the majority of the blow.

Just for the sake of asking, you didn't have anything in your right hand during that time, even just occasionally?

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/15/2011 11:53 PM CST
>>I do believe that's what happens, but as was mentioned earlier, you're only going to see a message for the defense that absorbs/deflects/avoids the majority of the blow.

>>Just for the sake of asking, you didn't have anything in your right hand during that time, even just occasionally?

>>~Katt

At first yeah, I checked and I did ended up placing something on my right hand and unable to parry with my parry stick. But then, I changed my script to avoid that, but that's when I got knocked out really hard. Going to try shield and parry at 100% each and remaining to evasion, and see if that's better. Thanks for the clarification.
Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/16/2011 06:45 AM CST
The other suggestion, sort of unrelated to your original question, is make sure you use SR in addition to HoW. It's a pretty nice boost to defense in general.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/16/2011 11:57 AM CST
am I missing something somewhere...how do you set stance to 100/100/47? thats 247 stance points...my 106th circ barb only has 190 stance points...just curious
Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/16/2011 11:58 AM CST
<< am I missing something somewhere...how do you set stance to 100/100/47? thats 247 stance points...my 106th circ barb only has 190 stance points...just curious >>

Holy Warrior spell.
Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/16/2011 12:19 PM CST
Holy warrior, plus unless I read it wrong, attack set at 0, so extra defense points from there, too.

~Katt

Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/16/2011 12:22 PM CST
Sorry for the double post but for clarification, HoW gives 60 extra stance points.

~Katt

Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/16/2011 01:10 PM CST
Looks like they're not stancing attack down, either:

180 - Base Stance Points
60 - Holy Warrior Spell
7 - Assumed based on Paladin @ 1 Stance Point per 10 Circles
---

Stancing attack down to 0 would add another 20 points for a total of 267 defensive stance points in the 70th to 79th circle range. Not bad out of a total possible 300. :D

A 150th circle Paladin can reach a potential total of 275 defensive stance points, far surpassing any other guild.

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/16/2011 01:27 PM CST
I'm curious how that will work with Combat 3.0 when Parry gets to act as 60% Evasion against ranged attacks :P

Impenetrable wall much?

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/16/2011 01:31 PM CST
<< Impenetrable wall much? >>

Pretty much what paladins are supposed to be anyway, hopefully after rewrite it will actually be true.
Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/16/2011 02:19 PM CST
>>Looks like they're not stancing attack down, either:

You're right, I was referring to the original poster, not Isharon. Sorry, my mistake.

~Katt

Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/16/2011 02:22 PM CST
<<You're right, I was referring to the original poster, not Isharon. Sorry, my mistake.

Yeah, I realized that too after I went back through the thread and re-read it. I was hoping you wouldn't notice, so I left it as is. Blech. ;)

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/16/2011 02:25 PM CST
LOL!! Consider it not noticed!

~Katt

Re: Need help with 3 defensive stance strategy... 01/16/2011 06:17 PM CST
>>The other suggestion, sort of unrelated to your original question, is make sure you use SR in addition to HoW. It's a pretty nice boost to defense in general.

>>~Katt

Oddly enough, I did have SR up and still got knocked down hard. Going to snowies for now, I guess. Thanks for everything.