Parry Sticks... 12/08/2010 10:40 PM CST
Are parry sticks any good for parrying? Brawling at 122 and Parry at 114, Multi-OP at 127, insignificant hindrance, 20AGI 20REF, full defensive stance 100EVA 100PAR. This is with my Barb in TF. I'm still getting hit by blood wolves on the odd occasion. Granted when they hit me, it's like getting hit by a Mack truck. OR does Parry really suck that bad at low levels? Thanks in advance.

Re: Parry Sticks... 12/08/2010 11:20 PM CST
I use a parry stick all the time. Way more balance than my katars.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Parry Sticks... 12/09/2010 01:51 AM CST
>>does Parry really suck that bad at low levels?

Yes. It sucks horribly.

Get to around 250 ranks (in both parry and the weapon you're parrying with) and it will suck less and start to become a useful defense.

Parry sticks themselves are quite viable, I do most of my parrying with one.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Parry Sticks... 12/09/2010 03:44 AM CST
actually if you get to about 170 ranks of parry it stops sucking so horribly. However, certain weapons i've found parry much better than others. as a necro with weapon tert, i had a rough time of it until i trained up 2he to match what i had in LE. a bastard sword just parries much better than an LE.
The parry sticks do work though, but its just rough getting enough ranks of parry until you can use 'em viably.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Parry Sticks... 12/09/2010 03:04 PM CST
1) Yes, parry does suck at low levels. Around 200ish it starts to work well that I would actually call it a defense. Prior to that it's just something I get beat to hell training.

2) Parry sticks suck for parrying. When I realized 200 brawling and a parry stick did not perform as well as 60 pike with a fairly balanced spear, I took mine off and haven't looked back.

I've sort of considered putting one back on so I can stance parry while throwing a spear, but meh. Parry sticks are good for 'oh crap i forgot to change my stance', but I would never use one as my first choice of parrying weapon.
Re: Parry Sticks... 12/09/2010 04:35 PM CST
Parry sticks are a braling item, so if your brawling sucks, parrying with one will suck. No different then having 10 HE and trying to parry with a bastie. My cleric is brawling primary and has no trouble using the parry stick.
Re: Parry Sticks... 12/09/2010 04:45 PM CST
Also keep in mind that there's a perceived bug with parry sticks that may or may not be fixed, which causes them to apparently stop working until you adjust them, such as by removing and rewearing them.

~ Kougen

You tap Ruea's nose with your willow tree.
Re: Parry Sticks... 12/09/2010 07:56 PM CST
Never had any of the above issues with parry sticks.

Things that ARE worth keeping in mind, however:

Parry sticks are lightweight and prone to damage.

Parry sticks are small.

Parry sticks are tied to Brawling.

All of these add up to make parry sticks inefficient methods of parrying by comparison to an actual melee weapon.