How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/03/2010 11:32 AM CST
I'm having a real tough time trying to figure out a way to defeat characters who avidely use stealth and/or invisibility.

Is there any form of non-magic that can bind a character to a single room? I find it increasingly difficult to track down someone in hidden/invisibility, get spot effect and then execute an attack before they can 1) attack me and B) leave the room to rinse/repeat. It is increasingly problematic for me when I can see the target via HUNT and they leave rooms before I can get to the room where they were since HUNT takes 8 seconds of RT.

So I'm curious, what kinds of techniques do you use to combat this sort of fighting style?

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/03/2010 12:51 PM CST
Non-magic as in something mundane to web/stun/immobilize etc.? Nothing that I can think of except thug powders, and that only reveals hidden/invisible PCs. Some sneaky people used to throw those greeting cards or jellybeans or whatever it was that caused you to grab it out of the air and would give you a short RT. Here's what I generally do, in descending order of preference:

1. WATCH. I forget this way too much.
2. AoE attack/disabler. For my Cleric this is Halo to some extent (they have to be engaged) and FoU when I get it.
3. Specfic anti-stealth things, particularly passive search/spot if you have it. Since you're a Bard I think EYE does this for you. As a Cleric I cast AE on someone to prevent them from rehiding for a bit and plan on using KW/Revelation when I pick them up.
3. Make them search for you. Hide in a spot with an attack ready to go and when they search you out hit them during the RT and run. Rinse and repeat. This is what I use most often as a Cleric -- have a TM spell prepped and ready to go and attack once they search.

~Thilan
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/03/2010 01:52 PM CST
Hmm. My responses are in >>'s

1. WATCH. I forget this way too much.
>> I don't believe WATCH helps you to see when someone walks into the room while invisible. In fact I don't think it is possible to see someone who walks into the room while invisible, period.

2. AoE attack/disabler. For my Cleric this is Halo to some extent (they have to be engaged) and FoU when I get it.
>> By the time you SEARCH to know they are in the room hiding in order to use the AoE they've already hit you and either run or re-hidden, ALA #4 on your list.

3. Specfic anti-stealth things, particularly passive search/spot if you have it. Since you're a Bard I think EYE does this for you. As a Cleric I cast AE on someone to prevent them from rehiding for a bit and plan on using KW/Revelation when I pick them up.
>> Eye of Kertigen is tricky as I can't control when it pulses, and the search/spot effect only activates on a pulse. It would be next to useless against those using invisibility who may move around freely unfortunately.

4. Make them search for you. Hide in a spot with an attack ready to go and when they search you out hit them during the RT and run. Rinse and repeat. This is what I use most often as a Cleric -- have a TM spell prepped and ready to go and attack once they search.
>> This is the activity I'm wanting to combat against. Using this against someone who also employs the same technique will end in a stalemate where no one does anything. This is the situation I ran into last night. Eventually I decided to just come out of hiding and wait for them to nail me since nothing was getting done :P

__
~Leilond
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/03/2010 02:39 PM CST
>>I don't believe WATCH helps you to see when someone walks into the room while invisible. In fact I don't think it is possible to see someone who walks into the room while invisible, period.

No it won't, but AFAIK Invisibility is just Hiding++ now. Watch is a bonus to Perception against one person, but a substantial one IIRC.

>>By the time you SEARCH to know they are in the room hiding in order to use the AoE they've already hit you and either run or re-hidden, ALA #4 on your list.

You don't have to know they're in the room -- that's the point of using an AoE. Z put it nicely when he was talking about WMs getting anti stealth abilities in Magic 3.0 when he said something like the WM anti-stealth should be nuking the room first and searching later. It may be tougher for a Bard with Enchante startup costs and the like.

>>Eye of Kertigen is tricky as I can't control when it pulses, and the search/spot effect only activates on a pulse. It would be next to useless against those using invisibility who may move around freely unfortunately.

Fair enough. I know next to nothing about how Enchantes work.

>>This is the activity I'm wanting to combat against. Using this against someone who also employs the same technique will end in a stalemate where no one does anything. This is the situation I ran into last night. Eventually I decided to just come out of hiding and wait for them to nail me since nothing was getting done :P

Then I'd say it really comes down to who wants it more. I know that's weak but it's a fairly weak tactic to begin with. If you know who the attack is coming from and what it's likely to be then prepare for it as best you can.

~Thilan
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/06/2010 01:13 AM CST
>>I don't believe WATCH helps you to see when someone walks into the room while invisible. In fact I don't think it is possible to see someone who walks into the room while invisible, period.

That's kind of what I thought. I usually use my invisibility ring with pretty good success but today I used a RF rune, harnessing 30 or 40 mana and not only did people say hello to me when I walked in as "invisible" but they pointed me out. I should note that my hiding is pretty pathetic so that would go along with what the other poster was saying about Invisibility being hiding++.

Is the enchantment on the ring (Astoshe's Eclipse or something) the same as using the RF rune? Is it more powerful, or did I simply run into a different situation and it was a coincidence?

- Terra
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/06/2010 01:20 AM CST
RF cast by a non-Moon Mage is very weak. Any mana harnessed beyond the minimum does not increase the strength of the spell like it does for Moon Mages. You will only be getting the very minimum hiding bonus invisibility can give when you use a RF rune.

I don't know how strong the invisibility from AE rings are. However, since RF runes are the weakest form of invisibility, I am quite sure the rings are stronger and boost your hiding more. That could account for the difference you saw.
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/06/2010 06:14 AM CST
So you CAN see an invisible person walk into the room if you have enough Perception to see their bonused Hiding? Does anyone have messaging for what it looks like when an invisible person walks into the room?

__
~Leilond
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/06/2010 10:39 AM CST
>>So you CAN see an invisible person walk into the room if you have enough Perception to see their bonused Hiding? Does anyone have messaging for what it looks like when an invisible person walks into the room?

Can you? That would mean there is a skill check for just walking into a room? Maybe they meant they sneaked in?

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/06/2010 02:00 PM CST
>That would mean there is a skill check for just walking into a room?

Yeah, there's no check for walking into a room invisible. That's pretty much the point of invisibility is to avoid the stalking skill check and round time.

~ Kougen

You tap Ruea's nose with your willow tree.
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/06/2010 02:05 PM CST
Umm...

>>I usually use my invisibility ring with pretty good success but today I used a RF rune, harnessing 30 or 40 mana and not only did people say hello to me when I walked in as "invisible" but they pointed me out.

And

>>Yeah, there's no check for walking into a room invisible. That's pretty much the point of invisibility is to avoid the stalking skill check and round time.

Aren't lining up. Can you or can you not see invisible people walk as they walk into your room? I'll test with someone if need be, AIM: Stigma21215

__
~Leilond
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/06/2010 02:18 PM CST
>Aren't lining up. Can you or can you not see invisible people walk as they walk into your room?

I'm going to go with user error on Terra's part.

With about 900 effective perception I couldn't see anything when a test subject with literally 1 rank of hiding and 0 ranks of stalking walked through the room repeatedly.

RF is funny because I believe it's the only invisibility with variable strength, and it's even weirder in the hands of a non-Moon Mage.

~ Kougen

You tap Ruea's nose with your willow tree.
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/06/2010 02:20 PM CST
If someone is hiding and invisible then they activate the stealth contest to move into a room.
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/06/2010 02:21 PM CST
<<RF is funny because I believe it's the only invisibility with variable strength, and it's even weirder in the hands of a non-Moon Mage.

Doesn't the Necro one have variability? Just a point of detail, it doesn't invalidate your point in any way.

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/06/2010 02:30 PM CST
Hmm, do you think it would be different with guild abilities such as passive SPOT(thief ability I think?) or using the WATCH verb? Perhaps if you have enough perception to normally see them you can use POINT ALL?

Is the only way currently to act on someone using invisibility in your room to use the SEARCH verb first?

__
~Leilond
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/06/2010 02:57 PM CST
>Is the only way currently to act on someone using invisibility in your room to use the SEARCH verb first?

Aside from using stuff like thief spot khri, roar slash, bardic "I win" enchants, WM I see all earth sense spell (can they point from this?), and a few other guild abilities or dropping a Moon Mage unbend sigil, yes. If you walk into the room and someone is already hiding and doesn't move a muscle, you gotta search.

If someone is invisible they can wander around all they want without a contest, but, if they hide and inviso then sneak around you can still lose the sneak contest, however I believe the inviso contributes to the effective sneak value, just as it does a hidden value.
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/06/2010 05:28 PM CST
The only way someone will see you walk into a room invisible is if they have a passive spot ability up.
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/06/2010 06:22 PM CST
I'm up for testing as well. EDGEBRO21 is my AIM.
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/06/2010 07:11 PM CST
>>>The only way someone will see you walk into a room invisible is if they have a passive spot ability up.

This statement is wrong, if someone is invisible and hiding, then it provokes a stealth check when they walk into a room, as such you will see them walking in if you pass the stealth check.

I think at this point all the passive spot abilities are pulses now as well, so you won't see someone walk in invisible, but when it pulses if you pass the check you will see them.
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/06/2010 07:31 PM CST
PROTIP: If you are invisible, don't hide - it won't help.
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/06/2010 07:53 PM CST
>The only way someone will see you walk into a room invisible is if they have a passive spot ability up.

>This statement is wrong, if someone is invisible and hiding, then it provokes a stealth check when they walk into a room, as such you will see them walking in if you pass the stealth check.

He is correct. You are describing sneaking into a room, not walking into one.

~Sulakhan

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/06/2010 10:38 PM CST
>>>The only way someone will see you walk into a room invisible is if they have a passive spot ability up.<<<

>This statement is wrong, if someone is invisible and hiding, then it provokes a stealth check when they walk into a room, as such you will see them walking in if you pass the stealth check.

>I think at this point all the passive spot abilities are pulses now as well, so you won't see someone walk in invisible, but when it pulses if you pass the check you will see them.

Your first statement is describing stalking into a room. Stalking into a room is accompanied by a skill check. Simply walking into a room while invisible does not have a skill check.

Your second statement is correct. I was more responding to the person (was it Terra?) who stated people saw her and pointed her out of invisibility after she walked into a room invisibile.
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 12/10/2010 02:33 PM CST
I would have normally thought user error as well but I walked into a room with only RF invisibility up as a non moon mage and Sendithu said hello to me after being in the room about 2 seconds without prior searching. I think it was explained well here, this must have been the case.

>>The only way someone will see you walk into a room invisible is if they have a passive spot ability up.

>>Your second statement is correct. I was more responding to the person (was it Terra?) who stated people saw her and pointed her out of invisibility after she walked into a room invisibile.

- Terra
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 08/14/2011 11:18 AM CDT
>>I would have normally thought user error as well but I walked into a room with only RF invisibility up as a non moon mage and Sendithu said hello to me after being in the room about 2 seconds without prior searching. I think it was explained well here, this must have been the case.

While you can't see someone walk into a room while invisible, with enough skill you can simply look and see the invisible person in the room.

Its possible that said person had typed look and saw you there. It'll also clearly state that person is invisible.

As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: How to Defeat Stealth/Invisibility 08/14/2011 11:29 AM CDT
>>with enough skill you can simply look and see the invisible person in the room.

1. Holy thread necromancy.
2. No you can't. Not without a passive spot ability currently up. Since that was part of the original post, I'm not sure why you didn't copy that.

TG, TG, GL, et al.