New Tactics Skill 08/04/2010 09:26 AM CDT
So I'm pretty excited about the new Tactics skill and I'm trying to imagine what all could be encorporated into it. I know it has been mentioned that it will cover the old non-damaging brawling maneuvers. What about if it were to also cover the ADVANCE/RETREAT/FLEE mechanics? Will HANGBACK be covered with this skill? Will it cover acrobatics? Will you be able to flourish normal weapon strikes with it? Will Thieves be able to BACKSTAB after a successful FEINT with this skill?

I'm just trying to think of all of its applications in combat.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: New Tactics Skill 08/04/2010 01:02 PM CDT
Glad it is a combat skill! As a Barbarian.. never mind it's probably a lore.....
______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: New Tactics Skill 08/04/2010 01:27 PM CDT
>>Try being evasion tert for a decade, then whine about a skill thats not even out yet.

The difference, of course, is that right now training tertiary skills is simple. Mindstates returning still hasn't been ruled out. If it does, a passively learned Lore (tertiary) skill will pretty much destroy the benefit of being Weapons primary, so it's a valid concern for Barbarians. One that hasn't been addressed so much as it has been avoided.

It takes my Paladin 1-2 hours to cycle through his 10 weapons and TM (this is significant considering how horrible TM is to train). It takes my Barbarian 2-4 hours to cycle through 10 weapons (depending on if the cycle includes sling or light blunt or similarly underachieved weapon types, really). Identical mentals. Similar circle. Similar skill range (in that they can hunt the same monsters).

If I had to sleep to avoid mindstates because of Evasion on the Paladin, I would only be able to learn two, maybe three weapons and possibly TM before I had to go sit and wait for mindstate to recover. Apply that line of thinking to a Barbarian.
Re: New Tactics Skill 08/04/2010 01:44 PM CDT
>>If I had to sleep to avoid mindstates because of Evasion on the Paladin, I would only be able to learn two, maybe three weapons and possibly TM before I had to go sit and wait for mindstate to recover. Apply that line of thinking to a Barbarian.

I'd buy that, IF you could NOT learn evasion while working the other defences. I can stop swinging HE when it locks to prevent overflow, and unless Tactics is totally passive (which considering the mentions are about it being used for active combat abilities, I doubt it), its hardly comparable.

Samsaren Remlane
I will defend to your death, your right, to my opinion.
Re: New Tactics Skill 08/04/2010 03:42 PM CDT
Fastest derail of a thread ever.

Tactics, I hope, involves your ability to position yourself in a given situation. I suspect it will be learned much like brawling...but think flanking, envelopment type stuff.

So, I envision your combat routine requiring active involvement in not only your attack routine, but also your position routine. I hope this skill is also used for effectiveness in group combat...adding either positives or negatives to the group as a whole.

I also hope you can train the skill if you are part of a group or leading a group.

By the by, just total speculation on my part.

Madigan
Re: New Tactics Skill 08/05/2010 07:46 AM CDT
In the old exp model (with mindtstates), it was never evasion that pushed Paladins toward murky/frozen. I'm pretty sure some GM said somewhere on the forums that it was specifically coded that way to allow Paladins to be able to train primary skills without overflowing from evasion which we all know locks in an extremely short time.

If/when mindstates return, I'd imagine a similar hook would have to put in -if- the method of training is similar. But on that note, armor learning is not supposed to be passive anymore (which I assume to mean bits from each dodge, parry or shield block is shifted into what ever armors your wearing atm pool), but I'm not quite clear on what the new method will be to train it.

I hope it doen't involve actually getting hit; i.e lying down in crocs to learn armor, heheh.

Mistrust is our only defense against betrayal.
Re: New Tactics Skill 08/05/2010 07:47 AM CDT
<<Fastest derail of a thread ever.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't read the whole thread first.

Re: New Tactics Skill 08/05/2010 07:59 AM CDT
>>I hope it doen't involve actually getting hit; i.e lying down in crocs to learn armor, heheh.

No kidding. I don't mind pushing things to the point where I take glancing/harmless blows, but having to do that would get old rapidly. Especially for the guilds that don't have Courage, DA, and MAF to stack for dmg redux.

Samsaren Remlane
I will defend to your death, your right, to my opinion.
Re: New Tactics Skill 08/05/2010 01:31 PM CDT
Heyo!

I mentioned this briefly before in another post, but there are so many floating around on combat now it's hard to say where!

Tactics will be absorbing some of the brawling maneuvers, the non-damaging ones in particular, but will encompass far more than that. The main focus of the skill will be in improving your own position through minor temporary skill bonuses, as well as weakening your enemy through minor temporary skill decreases. Some of these will be exclusively Tactics, others will be a combination of Tactics and Weapon Skill (ie Feint will have a normal chance to hit and inflict damage via weapon skill, as well as a chance to temporarily penalize the enemy's parry skill via Tactics).

Yes, it will include features like attempting to move to a flanking or rear position if they are currently open (Circle), or at least get the combat modifiers appropriate to those positions temporarily (time for an attack or two) if not. It will also include a few situational modifiers, such as a bonus to evasion against ranged attacks (Weave) or a bonus to evasion against melee attacks (Bob). There will be several other uses, but hopefully this should give folks a better idea of what we are aiming for here -- a combat skill focused primarily on enhancing or penalizing combatants to alter the long-term odds in a battle at the cost of forfeiting immediate damage.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Re: New Tactics Skill 08/05/2010 02:04 PM CDT
> But on that note, armor learning is not supposed to be passive anymore

You got a link for that GM post?

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: New Tactics Skill 08/05/2010 03:43 PM CDT
Hey Dart, this sounds really cool, a skill called tactics, that actually uses tactics. It sounds like a lot of the stuff in the tactics skill will use thought and well...tactics from the player. I, noticed you said it will be taking some moves from brawling...did you mean the bob/circle/weave <--- just them? Or is it sucking in moves like tackle, grapple, choke etc? Is brawling going to be strictly damage dealing moves?

Thanks!

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: New Tactics Skill 08/05/2010 04:40 PM CDT
<<> But on that note, armor learning is not supposed to be passive anymore

<<You got a link for that GM post?

I might have added the word "learning" inappropriately. Armor defense is moving from a passive defense to an active defense per GM Darts post:
https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=1&topic=1&message=3142

I guess it makes sense that the learning would follow, but again, not sure if that is accurate.