i need to adjust my stance 08/13/2009 08:31 AM CDT
as a War Mage who spent a lot of my youth casting Gar Zeng, i got out of the habit of using my shield since my spell needed one empty hand... so my parry (175) and my evasion (154) are far ahead of my shield (98)
that was fine for hunting small peccaries and swampies, but now that i'm trying my hand at fends, those thorns are wreaking havoc on me... so i clearly gotta backtrain shield

what stance should i try? i had some success in peccaries with shield 100 and 40+ each on the other two, but is there something else i should try?

the strong do what they want, the weak do what they must
Re: i need to adjust my stance 08/13/2009 08:34 AM CDT
100 evasion/80 shield or 100 evasion/80 parry

~Arwinia

http://www.llbbl.com/data/RPG-motivational/target262.html
Re: i need to adjust my stance 08/13/2009 12:17 PM CDT
I only use one of two stances for training.

Parry 100, Shield 0, Evasion 80+

or

Shield 100, Parry 0, Evasion 80+

I mean, if I drop a nuke on you, "Can't hit me I'm hiding!" isn't going to really get you very far.

- GM Dartenian
Re: i need to adjust my stance 08/13/2009 12:39 PM CDT
Or you could use an arm-worn shield and have both hands clear for casting.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: i need to adjust my stance 08/13/2009 12:55 PM CDT
<<Or you could use an arm-worn shield and have both hands clear for casting.

You don't have to have a free hand for Gar Zeng anymore.

-Golgol
Re: i need to adjust my stance 08/13/2009 04:57 PM CDT
100 Evasion 79 Parry 1 Shield
100 Evasion 79 Shield 1 Parry
Re: i need to adjust my stance 08/13/2009 04:59 PM CDT
<<100 Evasion 79 Parry 1 Shield
<<100 Evasion 79 Shield 1 Parry

I've never understood the value in this. In the 1 point in the third defense. Can someone elaborate please?

- George, Player of Foresee
Re: i need to adjust my stance 08/13/2009 05:06 PM CDT
>>I've never understood the value in this. In the 1 point in the third defense. Can someone elaborate please?

It doesn't really defend that much- But it does help train shield a little bit without interfering with your other defenses.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: i need to adjust my stance 08/13/2009 05:06 PM CDT
>I've never understood the value in this. In the 1 point in the third defense. Can someone elaborate please?

If you get hit, even a glancing hit that doesn't get through your armor, it will teach a bit of the skill with 1 point.
Re: i need to adjust my stance 08/13/2009 05:09 PM CDT
In a previous life, my character never used Parry, but having 1 in it allowed him to be 93 ranks deep in it compared to his all the time shield of 108/109 (I forget). He did it just for titles though.

-Stayn
Re: i need to adjust my stance 08/13/2009 05:50 PM CDT
>>I've never understood the value in this. In the 1 point in the third defense. Can someone elaborate please?

At levels the game was designed for, it can even save your life! Parry/shield are not all-or-nothing defenses, though once you get into the mid levels the damage reduction from shield/parry gets too small to distinguish from noise. Or something.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: i need to adjust my stance 08/13/2009 09:26 PM CDT
I think shield always has that miracle chance to outright block something no matter how outclassed you are, so putting that one point in it even while in an evasion/parry stance is a good idea.

Aveda's Field Guide- http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Re: i need to adjust my stance 08/13/2009 10:12 PM CDT
>I've never understood the value in this. In the 1 point in the third defense. Can someone elaborate please?

I always keep 100 evasion, 1 parry, 80+ (whatever is left) shield. I never use parry stance. Ever. That 1% plus the small bit you get for actually using the parry maneuver (Unless I just made that up... but I could swear I've gone off clear just from typing 'parry' with an enemy in the room)... Anyway, between that passive parry learning from the 1% and classes, I get my required ranks without ever leaving shield stance. Actually, in the old exp system, I occasionally locked parry with only 1% in parry stance, so it can be some worthwhile learning.
Re: i need to adjust my stance 08/13/2009 10:20 PM CDT
>>(Unless I just made that up... but I could swear I've gone off clear just from typing 'parry' with an enemy in the room)...

Definitely do, I've seen it a few times. With dodge or parry manuevers =]
Re: i need to adjust my stance 08/13/2009 10:23 PM CDT
I've adjusted my stances to match this advice and it seems to work pretty well. Thank you all kindly!

- George, Player of Foresee
Re: i need to adjust my stance 08/14/2009 03:43 PM CDT
<<I think shield always has that miracle chance to outright block something no matter how outclassed you are, so putting that one point in it even while in an evasion/parry stance is a good idea.

And it teaches a bit, and for 1 point.

Madigan

Free the Paladin Guild in 2009.
Re: i need to adjust my stance 08/15/2009 08:07 AM CDT
>> And it teaches a bit, and for 1 point.

I never parry. Then I read these posts. My new stance is 100 evasion, shield 79, parry 1.

Parry Ability: 31 81% mind lock (34/34)

34/34 in 1-2 minutes. Insanity. Free TDPS. My shield/evasion are 200+ ranks above parry.
Re: i need to adjust my stance 08/15/2009 03:19 PM CDT
must be nice to have a soft parry/no parry req:)

If there were no cost or sacrifice involved, there wouldn't be any benefits worth learning, and the entire system would be pointless. --GM Wythor

These statements were not endorsed or made by a GM and may be completely irrealavent to game play.