Question about shields and pvp 05/03/2009 03:50 AM CDT
I apologise if this is the wrong folder to ask this question. I think it should fit though.

I'm a tenth circle ranger. I've been training shield and absolutely hate training it. It's at 31 ranks now I think. The reason I don't like training it is that I'm required to learn parry to circle so I use parry stance with my edged weapon and my bow I can't load with the shield on.

So anyway: my understanding is that once I get 50 ranks of shield (or is it 50 of my longbow?) I can equip an arm worn shield while loading my bow.

Recently I read that a shield won't block while a bow is loaded. Is this correct? I know some of the info I read is outdated.

If that is the case, is there any point in me learning shield at all?

The reason I wanted to learn it is a) every time shields are mentioned, someone says "learn shields!" but they never really say why. b) my understanding is that shields are the best defense against ranged attacks, and I assume magic also.

I marked all forums as read when I started so I'm having trouble with seeking information because I'm certain this has been asked before. I was able to skim back through some recent pages in this folder which indicate shields are good to learn in general but I still don't understand why.

Right now I have zero interest in pvp. However I know later I will have a lot of interest in it, whether it's for duels, tournaments or sweet revenge.

Are shields the best defence in pvp? Could I get by with really, really high evasion (and SOP)? If I can't block with a loaded bow and bow would be my preferred pvp weapon I think shield will end up being useless for me.

Sorry for the long post...

tl;dr:
should I train shields if I will eventually pvp with a longbow?
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/03/2009 07:37 AM CDT
>>Are shields the best defence in pvp? Could I get by with really, really high evasion (and SOP)?

Yes.

No.

Some people scrape by, but not by relying on evasion and SoP -- they rely on hiding. As in never coming out. But this doesn't strike me as an enviable position. It is always better to have an extra defense that you don't use too often, than to need a defense and have to backtrain it. If you can't manage to keep shield and parry both moving, then I'd tentatively state that You're Doing It Wrong. (They're both secondary for Rangers, right?)

My Empath has rather good evasion (for her circle/guild) and SoP, and I would never, never consider PvPing in anything other than shield stance. The first thing I do when I think she's going to be attacked is

>stance shie
>dod

-- Player of Szrael --

"The Empath spellbook is a riddle trapped in an enigma hidden inside a lot of suck." (Armifer)
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/03/2009 08:30 AM CDT
Shieldless hiders have been done before, so it's true that shield isn't a complete necessity - however there are many ways to pull people out of hiding, and perception has become much easier to train recently so stealth's not really something I'd want to rely on too heavily.

A quick rundown on how defenses work: Evasion is the most-affected defense by things like balance/position, encumberance, hindrance from armor, multi situation, etc. Parry is least penalized in multi situations, and gets significant bonuses from agility modified by weapon balance, but is useless against ranged weapons and magic in most cases. Shield is least-penalized by being stunned and such by virtue of having a minimum level of effectiveness that it can't go below (representing the chance of the shield just being in the right place at the right time).

Shields will also be getting better with the combat rewrite, per GM Dart and his Armor 3.0 post awhile back.

It sounds to me like you need to adjust how you train, or perhaps what critter you train on. My character Vashir is a Barbarian, so parry is in his primary skillset, yet I've kept his shield and parry relatively even.

Play with your stance settings until you've got something that works. Even setting a few points in shield while you train parry might help. Switching between shield and parry stance would probably help significantly. If you have to, stance down evasion to learn a little more parry and shield.

You hear the voice of Rmel exclaim, "Holy jeeperth!"

Gene Police! You, outta the pool!
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/03/2009 08:41 AM CDT
A couple of comments here. Shield is the best defense for blocking ranged attacks and TM spells. Even my characters that are armor tertiary train shield at level because it is that important.

If you're finding that shield is lagging because you need parry to circle, then I suggest you stop circle chasing and take a little extra time to maintain a well balanced character. Evasion will always move faster/easier because you are survival primary, but keeping parry and shield close to evasion shouldn't be difficult.

Yes, at 50 ranks you can wear a small arm worn shield and still use a bow (with some restrictions such as having STW active I think? Been a long while since I played a ranger) It's true you can't block with a loaded bow, but you also don't get snipe until 40th circle. So, you retreat, hide, load while in hiding, aim, advance, stalk, poach. Poaching pulls you out of hiding, but your bow is no longer loaded, therefore your shield will work as a defense. Next, you retreat, hide, load while in hiding, aim, advance, stalk, poach...

Bottom line: Train shield.

If it helps, just think of yourself as the fluorescent light in the buglamp of life.

- GM Dartenian
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/03/2009 09:17 AM CDT
Thanks for all the comments. I have no problem locking both skills, it was more that I wasn't enjoying shield for stylistic reasons. The comments about snipe are especially helpful! I hadn't thought of that and it makes it all seem more useful. Much appreciated :)
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/03/2009 12:16 PM CDT
you can still stance parry and learn shield.

You are currently using 100% of your evasion skill.
You are currently using 70% of your weapon parry skill.
You are currently using 10% of your shield block skill.
You are attacking with 100% of your offensive skill.

this is my current stance and it has me locked in shield, parry and multi. usually shield before parry.
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/03/2009 01:06 PM CDT
I typically stance 100 evasion/83 shield/1 parry (or 100 evasion/100 shield/44 parry with Holy Warrior up). Between the little bit of parry experience for using the parry maneuver in my combos and the little bit that rolls in from that 1% in parry, I typically get my required 4 ranks per circle with only minimal teaching. My motto is "Parry is for circling, Evasion and Shield are for defending."
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/04/2009 11:44 AM CDT
>>"Parry is for circling, Evasion and Shield are for defending."

Probably the best way I've ever heard it put.

-Croegar

"If somebody is alert enough to start popping AEs because they think you're there, you've failed at a critical aspect of stealth..."

-Z
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/04/2009 04:25 PM CDT
Parry is for dealing with minstate issues for me. Shield locks in about four seconds flat in gryphons.

You hear the voice of Rmel exclaim, "Holy jeeperth!"

Gene Police! You, outta the pool!
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/05/2009 03:48 AM CDT
> Shields will also be getting better with the combat rewrite, per GM Dart and his Armor 3.0 post awhile back.

Actually, ALL defenses will be getting better. Right now (Offense > Defense) by virtue of the fact that evasion has about fifty bazillion penalties applied to it, and both parry and shield effectiveness depend heavily on evasion effectiveness.

- GM Dartenian

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/05/2009 05:50 AM CDT
Thank you! That's very useful to know. At the moment, I'm training all my defenses: evasion is highest with no attempt to make it so, shield is somewhat behind but still well ahead of parry. It's just how things worked out while trying to train skills equally.

My ideal ranger is one who relies on evading, an elusive wisp that steps in and out of shadows, seemingly carelessly flicking an arrow, awesomely aimed at a carefully targeted body part, rather than being forced to be a tank (my perception of a shield bearer). I see shield as a blunt force whereas parry somewhat, and evasion very so, rely on technique, far less effective without skill but much more so with.

I'd like each defensive quality to be equally viable but parry sadly seems to be something that should only work if you are directly facing your incoming attack, based on RL mechs. If parry could be improved so it's more viable...

ie plate wearers could rely on shield + parry because hey they have massive protection from armor

light armor wearers could rely on evasion + parry

maybe pure casters are shield + eva

each should work effectively in it's own way: plate armor wearers will always have that extra protection that can take a beating. Leather wearers have a higher offensive or critical capability but must dodge most incoming attacks. Casters try to be able to block or evade incoming attacks as they are very vulnerable but potentially have the most dangerous non-critical offensive potential.

however that said: I like how things work at the moment. I like that regardless of your chosen profession you can train and become successful in almost any skill.
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/05/2009 06:31 AM CDT
>I'd like each defensive quality to be equally viable

Shields should always be a better defense than parry: having a sheet of wood/metal in front of part of your body restricts your opponent's choice of targets even before you start actively defending with it. As a ranged attack enthusiast you should appreciate that. Especially considering this topic is concerned with shields and pvp. I am sure in pve you can climb the creature ranks avoiding all ranged users, making parry viable.

"You can't be a god unless you smite someone; it's in the rules." - Armifer
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/05/2009 06:46 AM CDT
>>>Shields should always be a better defense than parry: having a sheet of wood/metal in front of part of your body restricts your opponent's choice of targets even before you start actively defending with it. As a ranged attack enthusiast you should appreciate that. Especially considering this topic is concerned with shields and pvp. I am sure in pve you can climb the creature ranks avoiding all ranged users, making parry viable.<<<

Yes I agree, but at the same time shields could be less subtle... they are merely a direct block with little finesse.

It should be much more difficult to avoid a direct attack by evading but with enough skill it ought to be possible.
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/05/2009 07:50 AM CDT
>>It should be much more difficult to avoid a direct attack by evading but with enough skill it ought to be possible. <<

Huh? It's entirely possible to avoid a direct attack by evading when you have enough skill. I have to downtweak my evasion stance all the time because I'm continually evading critters at level while using a shield and/or parrying with a weapon.

If it helps, just think of yourself as the fluorescent light in the buglamp of life.

- GM Dartenian
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/05/2009 07:58 AM CDT
>>Huh? It's entirely possible to avoid a direct attack by evading when you have enough skill. I have to downtweak my evasion stance all the time because I'm continually evading critters at level while using a shield and/or parrying with a weapon.<<

ok, good, it just seems something exceptional rather than ordinary... I feel less than ordinary and working towards exceptional
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/05/2009 08:01 AM CDT
plus I'm less concerned with critters (correct me if I'm wrong but this is predictable behavior) and more concerned with players (less predictable, maybe...), not looking for trouble atm but will eventually).
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/11/2009 05:47 PM CDT
I do think shield should be less effective than parry in one on one melee combat. Not sure if this is already the case or not, though.

Also, yes, train shield even if you use a long bow. Combat is going through a major overhaul in the future and there's a good chance you won't be one-hit killing/stunning folks as much. Once you fire, you'll be able to use your shield until you load again.

Vinjince
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/12/2009 12:53 AM CDT
Parry should be more effective than shield at melee, and parry should give you the option to automatically riposte and get an "attack of opportunity" on the target attacking you. I think those two things would make it a more attractive skill.

Rev. Reene

Jhime whispers, "OOC: You're the biggest nerd i've ever known, but good job"
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/12/2009 10:59 AM CDT
I actually would disagree to a certain extent with parry being better than shield at melee.

I would agree in a multi opponent situation, but not necessarily in a single opponent situation.
Against a single opponent, you could square off, and basically block to your hearts content. Multiple
opponents you'd not want your sight being blocked, etc by the shield and there would be opponents coming
from the off-side etc.

Parry on the otherhand could almost improve in a MO situation, to represent a parry forcing weapons into
the other combatants ways etc.

I think an interesting thought to boost the impact damage category would be arm damage when blocking with a
shield if damage carried through (but I'll not get into my current gripes about how much impact damage you can
get on swords...) to that arm. Because lets face it, if a blow comes in hard enough to get past your shield, your
arm is getting moved and moved hard.
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/13/2009 03:05 AM CDT
> Parry should be more effective than shield at melee, and parry should give you the option to automatically riposte and get an "attack of opportunity" on the target attacking you. I think those two things would make it a more attractive skill.

Awesome idea.

I would use parry 10xx more in a heart beat. Combat would get very interesting as well. We would see a ton of shield/parry stance switching depending on the fight. I.e. "so and so is aiming, switch to shield block"

>> I think an interesting thought to boost the impact damage category would be arm damage when blocking with a shield if damage carried through (but I'll not get into my current gripes about how much impact damage you can get on swords...) to that arm. Because lets face it, if a blow comes in hard enough to get past your shield, your arm is getting moved and moved hard.

I would absolutely love to see this implemented. Strength could/should also play a massive part in shield blocking. Let's face it, how many times have we read a book where a character is using a shield and is getting POUNDED on, so bad he can't even move, he can only hold his shield up and pray not to die.
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/13/2009 06:08 PM CDT
My thoughts on stats and how they should apply to weapons...

Evasion - reflex, stamina?, agility?

Parry - agility, reflex, strength

Shield - Strength, stamina, reflex

In order of most important in the contest to least. This way there's three to each and while reflex is clearly the best to train overall, adding a point to strength, stamina, or agility would still bonus two of the three.

This would mostly help after the defenses are brought in line so that evasion does not outperform the other defenses quite so much.

Parry would also have an additional advantage in that it uses the three most popular physical stats, as opposed to Evasion and Shield which both use the less-popular Stamina stat.

Your mind hears XXXXX thinking, "what time to barghest come out"
Your mind hears XXXXX thinking "oh do they swarm"
Your mind hears XXXXX thinking, "is hulking big"
* XXXXX was just struck down!

You chortle softly at some secret joke.
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/13/2009 06:22 PM CDT
In your little chart, training reflex is barely better for defenses than agility, strength, or stamina. Considering how little purpose reflex serves besides boosting defenses, that would be a pretty severe nerf.
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/13/2009 06:29 PM CDT
'Cause strength and stamina are so much more popular...

Reflex is also used in more stat contests than strength or agility, is it not?

And stamina is just... meh.

Your mind hears XXXXX thinking, "what time to barghest come out"
Your mind hears XXXXX thinking "oh do they swarm"
Your mind hears XXXXX thinking, "is hulking big"
* XXXXX was just struck down!

You chortle softly at some secret joke.
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/13/2009 07:03 PM CDT
>'Cause strength and stamina are so much more popular...
>Reflex is also used in more stat contests than strength or agility, is it not?
>And stamina is just... meh.

I have to respectufully disagree that your proposal would fix the issue. It seems like more of a nerf to reflex to me.

Both strength and stamina will be getting some serious attention with the combat rewrite.

Agility does plenty already and doesn't need to serve a greater role in defensive calcs.

Also, I think that most players undervalue strength. From a pure PvP perspective, strength is less useful than most other stats, but in terms of day-to-day training, strength is more useful than people give it credit for. Swimming and climbing get a noticeable boost from higher strength. Increased carrying capacity comes in very handy. And higher strength allows you to do some amazing things with weapons, greatly increasing the number of weapon skills you can keep moving in a high spawn area.

I've got 60 strength right now, and my short term goal is 70 for forging.
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/13/2009 07:14 PM CDT
You do have a point that agility is already very handy. Reflex being my highest stat, I wouldn't complain if it was the most important stat in all defenses.

In truth stamina probably doesn't need to be added, since it is indirectly part of the calcs via fatigue. I had forgotten that.

I do still believe strength should play a significant factor in shield blocking and at least some part in parrying, though.

Ignore my first post, I guess. Seemed like a good idea at the time ;)

The pulzone lands a powerful strike that pokes the steel-tipped pulzone into the gryphon's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
The steel-tipped pulzone lodges itself shallowly into the forest gryphon!
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/13/2009 07:16 PM CDT
>I do still believe strength should play a significant factor in shield blocking and at least some part in parrying, though.

For what it's worth, it is a minor factor in shield blocking currently. I can certainly see the argument.
Re: Question about shields and pvp 05/14/2009 12:15 PM CDT
Not related to pvp or shields, but I'd love to see more stuff for strength (even though it's my lowest stat, heh). With enough strength, you should be able to drag two dead bodies or be able to carry one on a shoulder and drag the other one.

Vinjince