Underwater Hunting 06/17/2008 09:01 AM CDT
From Hanryu's post in the Aesry folder:

>>Have I mentioned how much I hate water hunting areas and how cool they could be if the water penalty could be worked off with sufficient swimming skills?

In water combat I would like to see light weapons (LE/LB/LT) and pike/HT weapons (the closest we have to spearfishing/harpoons) be favored by keeping their normal RTs. This would give these underutilized classes their own niche. Working down RTs via swimming makes sense, but I don't think the heaver classes should be able to be reduced down all the way unless a merchant comes along and sells underwater-specific weapons (a broadsword with holes to let the water flow through for example). Perhaps the system can check to see if you're wearing fins/flippers (via how it checks for brawling weapons perhaps?) and give you a bonus/RT reduction. I want epic Thunderball style battles!

(Oh and Devan this seems like a good folder to post your group tactics ideas.)

~Thilan
Re: Underwater Hunting 06/19/2008 09:49 PM CDT
>>In water combat I would like to see light weapons (LE/LB/LT) and pike/HT weapons (the closest we have to spearfishing/harpoons) be favored by keeping their normal RTs. This would give these underutilized classes their own niche.<<

I love this idea. I've found underwater hunting (merrows mostly) to be nothing but frustrating and unrewarding. Do any spells currently help with underwater hunting? I was singing Merelew's Legacy, which gives a swimming bonus and allows breathing underwater, but I do not remember if it decreased my roundtimes. If I was near an underwater hunting area, I would test this.

- Terra
Re: Underwater Hunting 06/20/2008 04:39 AM CDT
>as singing Merelew's Legacy, which gives a swimming bonus and allows breathing underwater, but I do not remember if it decreased my roundtimes. If I was near an underwater hunting area, I would test this.

Normal round times when using a weapon and singing MERE.

The problem with merrows is they appear to be almost immune to slashing weapons.

Qivalon~
Re: Underwater Hunting 06/20/2008 02:10 PM CDT
I was hunting merrows yesterday and I was definitely getting extra RT swinging my scimitar while singing Merelew's. It was my first and last time. Swimming around was fun, but combat was a very painful experience.

Tabby Faye