Stance help 01/16/2005 08:59 PM CST
Is there any way to train parry and a shield at the same time, cause it seems no matter how I set my stance, I'm either doing on or the other.

DEPART
"The ultimate out of body experience."
Re: Stance help 01/16/2005 09:03 PM CST
<<Is there any way to train parry and a shield at the same time, cause it seems no matter how I set my stance, I'm either doing on or the other.

Slowly adjust your percentage for them. Lower the one you are learning in and increase the one you are not.

Can't really give you exact numbers since everyone's skills and stats are different.

Trebber
Re: Stance help 01/16/2005 09:31 PM CST
In my experience, nope. Just take turns.

Paladins can use a spell (Marshall's Order?) to learn both by setting them both at 100%, I think.

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
Re: Stance help 01/16/2005 09:35 PM CST
<< Slowly adjust your percentage for them. Lower the one you are learning in and increase the one you are not.

Which'll change as you get a different critter (with slightly different stats), as you get injured, as your burden changes...so you'll be adjusting that ratio all the time. I say just pick one. (Personally, I only train shield for use against ranged attacks, though. So I'm no shield master. Might go check with the Paladins, masters-of-defense and all that.)

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
Re: Stance help 01/17/2005 11:58 AM CST
Depends on the creature, your defenses and other factors, but I can regularly learn parry and shield against certain creatures. Certain creatures I use the set stances- like Evasion which is Evasion 100, parry 40, shield 40 and can learn all three.

But normally I switch stances to ML the defense I am working on, then switch around. Once I ML one, I can usually get the others up okay(well I have trouble with evasion, but I know why and its not a stance problem!)

Flavius
Re: Stance help 01/17/2005 02:28 PM CST
>Might go check with the Paladins, masters-of-defense and all that.

<chuckle> As a paladin, I usually just tip one over 40 and leave the other under. As long as I don't end up hard locking one and just tricking on the other, works well enough. That's really the only way you can tell which one you are learning. My empath is easy. He just locks everything in 10-20 hits, in the soft cap, if he's at circle for the critter, its about 4-5. <g>
Re: Stance help 01/18/2005 08:31 AM CST
The paladin spell in question is Holy Warrior, which grants 60 stance points. Other then that, your safest bet is to work shield then parry. There is a build in penalty to a third defence, so you are truly best off as a non-paladin working one then the other. That said, if you insist on it, I suggest 60/40/80(80 being evasion), and moving up to a critter that breaks though your defence(makes sure all three are hit) but doesn't hurt much. Depending on ranks, vines and creepers type critters or sand sprites might just do the trick.

Samsaren Remlane
I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man, target practice on the other hand, is another matter entirely.
Re: Stance help 01/18/2005 11:05 PM CST
What ASHAMAN1 said. I dont really have a problem moving all my defenses just sitting around in combat, right now I am working shield and parry with my stances set at 100 shield/84 parry and my shield is locked and parry is perplexed.

Its not easy to side with the devil.

Ssra is cool.
Stance help! 12/19/2009 08:37 PM CST
Okay so I'm a bit frustrated ;op

I'm trying to train all my defenses (evasion, parry, and shield) but I'm having a hell of a time finding a stance that will get me to learn without dodging. people are taking about 100 evasion/80 shield or parry set ups, but when I try that I just dodge til my feet go raw.

my evasion is 39 and shield/parry are both about 33. I have to stance done to 40 evasion for me to OCASSIONALLY parry or block something. If I stance 80 evasion, shouldn't that make my evasion ~31, making it lower than my other defenses, hence making me use those first?
Re: Stance help! 12/19/2009 08:42 PM CST
Generally speaking unless you're WAY over hunting you don't want to split significantly into three defenses at once.

So like, on Mozzik my generic stances are:

(Evasion/Parry/Shield/Offense in all cases)

Parry which is 100/83/1/100

and

Shield which is 100/1/83/100

I alternate between them if one of them is at a low mind state (Though shield can sometimes move shockingly well at only 1 point. GG tert skill).

However if I find I'm evading too much (And it happens, I have nearly a 100 point gap between the them before considering Seer's) I just walk the evasion down until parry/shield is at 100%. If I'm STILL dodging too much I walk it down and dump into the other defense until I start taking glancing hits (And will usually stop a little short of that).

Also remember if you turn off your offense you can steal 20 more stance points which is enough to do something like:

100/100/4/0

If say, your parry is weak enough you can just barely survive when trying to train parry on them and need to put up all the defense you can.

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: Stance help! 12/19/2009 08:44 PM CST
It may be time to move on to the next critter. Personally, I never put evasion at 100 unless I'm training ranged. My stances are always 100 shield, 0 Parry, 80+ Evasion and I downtweak evasion as I start to dodge more. On critters that teach to less than 50 ranks, I will take evasion to 0 every now and then, but it's usually not necessary, and after 50 ranks, I NEVER do it.

parry 100, shield 0, evasion 80+ downtweaking, blah blah blah.

I've several 100th + level characters using this method, so it works for me. Others will tell you to stance evasion at 100 and mix and match shield and parry from there. Some will tell you that you should always have at least 1 point in all 3 of your defensive stances. You need to do what works for you, and at the ranks you have, I think what would work is moving to the next level critter.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: Stance help! 12/19/2009 08:45 PM CST
You have to take into account a ton of variables when it comes to combat. But, the long and short of it is, you have to block, dodge or parry something in order to actually train the skill. You could go about this by simply locking up evasion and then stancing evasion way down or completely off and then stancing shield/parry 100/80 and then switching parry to 100 to finish it off.

Personally, I just do 100evasion/79shield/1parry. Any attacks that get through both evasion and shield will give me some parry training, but I'm not trying to keep parry up to snuff with my other defeneses.

Parry Ability: 118 23.86% Evasion: 139 99.37% Shield Usage: 144 12.98%

Your mind hears Sahfra thinking, "Always the temples. We will burn your temple to the ground."
Your mind hears Zaslamel thinking, "shutup you undead wench"
Your mind hears Malfrien thinking, "hiya Zasl."
Your mind hears Zaslamel thinking, "Hiya Malf"
Re: Stance help! 12/19/2009 09:13 PM CST
<<My stances are always 100 shield, 0 Parry, 80+ Evasion and I downtweak evasion as I start to dodge more.

300+ in defenses, I've always had my stances set this way and will continue to do so. Works perfectly.

Necromancy brings out the Stupid in us all. -Armifer
Re: Stance help! 12/19/2009 09:38 PM CST
Awesome, thanks for all the good info. Does ranger bonus affect evasion? it might be that I just need to stance it down so far because of that.
Re: Stance help! 12/19/2009 09:42 PM CST
Ranger bonus - No.
SOP - In a round about way, yes.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: Stance help! 12/20/2009 07:05 AM CST
SOP works TOO well at boosting evasion. Using it makes it difficult to train shield or parry. The only time I use SOP is when I PvP or for some completely insane reason I decide to knowingly overhunt.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: Stance help! 12/20/2009 08:49 AM CST
I agree that you may need a different critter.

Also, recently there was a change that made evasion far more effective- at least that is what I saw from the viewpoint of the chars I've used recently.

Try stepping up a critter first: 33 parry and shield, and 39 evasion, really isn't that bad a gap.

Good luck!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Stance help! 12/20/2009 09:23 AM CST
>SOP works TOO well at boosting evasion. Using it makes it difficult to train shield or parry. The only time I use SOP is when I PvP or for some completely insane reason I decide to knowingly overhunt.

I keep SOP up at all times. I stance evasion down somewhat and if I have leftover stance points I'll throw them into my third defense. So I'll end up with something like 70 evasion 100 secondary 10+ tertiary
Re: Stance help! 12/20/2009 12:48 PM CST
Being a ranger who hunts with the full gamut of buffs up at all times, I have to keep my evasion down at about 40% when training shield/parry due to the near 100 rank difference + buffs(wearing leather armor except for cloth gloves). This is 'at level' as well. I would recommend what others have said of stepping down evasion until you're blocking or parrying.

I will continue to get blunter on this topic until people get the message or my posts contain enough profanity to be removed. - Armifer on stupid Necros