Sucker Punch 06/27/2017 11:42 AM CDT
Just tossing this out there. I thought it would be fun to have a dirty bar brawling like attack for us bar flies.

Sucker Punch

Skill used:
- Brawling

Restrictions:
-Thief, Bard, and Barbarian only (stereotypical bar fly/brawling guilds)
-Can only be used when not in combat (stops spamming)
-locks combat open for 30 min when used on a player (see above)

Ability:
-instant advance into melee
-knocks target to pole range on successful attack (this takes away the benefit of instant melee)
-target evades to pole range on a failed attack (see above)
-has small chance to stun or knockdown (power vs. fortitude)
-uses punch attack from brawling skill
Re: Sucker Punch 06/27/2017 04:56 PM CDT
Seems useless?

Best case you're at pole, they're prone. They instantly snap 'dance' or have one of the balance restoration abilities.

Now you're stuck in RT while they've seen no net loss?
Re: Sucker Punch 06/27/2017 06:22 PM CDT
>Thief, Bard, and Barbarian only (stereotypical bar fly/brawling guilds)

You assume my not barfly?

You slap Voldag hard in the face with your hand, making a nice crisp smack!! That's going to leave a mark!
Re: Sucker Punch 06/27/2017 10:00 PM CDT

>>Seems useless?<<

>>Best case you're at pole, they're prone. They instantly snap 'dance' or have one of the balance restoration abilities.<<

I didn't really suggest it for a mechanical advantage. It was more of a way to start a bar brawl and not have to type advance and wait for melee range to throw a punch. It was meant to mimic the sudden flare up of a bar brawl, but I guess I wouldn't mind a mechanical advantage.

>>You assume my not barfly?<<

I mistake.
Re: Sucker Punch 06/28/2017 05:27 PM CDT
>It was more of a way to start a bar brawl and not have to type advance and wait for melee range to throw a punch.

Throw something at them. Or use the slap (etc.) non-attack commands.
Re: Sucker Punch 06/28/2017 05:39 PM CDT
Beyond a "but someone would have to code it and how much would it be used" argument, I'm not sure what makes the idea all that bad. I wouldn't personally guild-limit it and I don't think it's necessary to result in both being at pole range after, though. To make it more "balanced" I'd probably give the attacker a severe balance/position penalty and a longer than average attack RT, instead.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Sucker Punch 06/28/2017 07:37 PM CDT
>>Beyond a "but someone would have to code it and how much would it be used" argument, I'm not sure what makes the idea all that bad.<<

For sure there are waaay more important things to code-- way more important.

>>I wouldn't personally guild-limit it<<

That was me being selfish. Silly NMU wanted a new toy.

>> and I don't think it's necessary to result in both being at pole range after, though. To make it more "balanced" I'd probably give the attacker a severe balance/position penalty and a longer than average attack RT, instead.<<

This is what I struggled with. I had no clue how to balance it. I think I like your balancing better.
Re: Sucker Punch 06/28/2017 11:26 PM CDT
>For sure there are waaay more important things to code-- way more important.

It's very important to have less important things to code or your coders just burn out and you've got nothing to show for their work but un-useable half finished code. DR, which for most of its existence seemed to have no project management whatsoever, is visibly littered with such wreckage.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.
They're proud of them." -Raesh, on history
Re: Sucker Punch 06/29/2017 10:44 AM CDT
>>For sure there are waaay more important things to code-- way more important.

Honestly, as someone who tends to juggle multiple projects at my job, it sometimes doesn't hurt to have a soft/side project to work on while needing a break from the heavier/serious stuff.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.