Arm worn ONLY shields? 07/30/2016 11:21 AM CDT
First, if something like this already exists, I'd like to know where to find em..

One of my "gripes" about shields comes down to character concept and for me, many times I end up just thinking a shield doesn't fit at all (thieves come to mind, moon mages, necros, etc.) Problem is, shield is just about a necessity in the current combat paradigm. Ignoring it for aesthetic or concept reasons just ends up hurting yourself in the long run.

As a suggestion, what about "shields" that are arm worn only that don't need to "look" like shields? A heavy bracer on one arm you can block with, or something along those lines. I'm strictly looking at this for cosmetic reasons, so not looking to change how protective or not they are compared to regular shields that can just be arm-worn anyway.

Thoughts?
Re: Arm worn ONLY shields? 07/30/2016 12:01 PM CDT

I like this idea a lot. It could be anything from a wooden plank bound with leather straps to a series of magical discs that you control with your mind. If possible, it would be neat to see something like a small rapier with an exceptionally large cross guard. A "shield" that isn't worn on your arm, but is attached to your weapon. You could go so far as to tie in with brawling gear or armor.