NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/12/2016 12:42 PM CDT
So I have been mulling about this a little bit recently. Part of it came from recently starting up a Barbarian and Thief, after playing a War Mage almost exclusively for the past 5 months. Part of it has come out of other forum discussions on the topic. It seems to me like a large issues with NMU vs MU guilds is that targeted magic is an entirely bonus damage stream that is additive with weapon combat. Using targeted magic does not reduce the weapon damage output, and using a weapon while prepping a targeted spell does not reduce the targeted magic damage output. Some suggestions have come out of other folders, but they are a bit too guild specific for me. First of all, it is a lot easier to get development resources on a project that is going to reach a large number of players. This is why magic has gotten the huge push it has over the past decade. It is a game wide system that is utilized by the majority of the guilds. Secondly, I can at least speak for myself when I say that I would really prefer my Paladin to have access to some sort of weapon focused extra damage steam, vs falling back on targeted magic, from both a mechanical and aesthetic point of view.

So my general idea is a damage stream based off of the weapon and armor skillsets that plays very much like the magic system. An easy example would be any of the charged maneuvers. Instead of working as they do now, one would "target" the maneuver, and it would "charge" as a spell does currently. This would use the spell-prep timers for both frontend integration, and also mechanically to lock out someone from double-dipping between a weapon maneuver and a targeted spell. Once the maneuver is "fully prepared" you "cast" it, executing the maneuver and generating an attack with all the similarities (damage, RT) of a targeted spell attack.

Players would learn feats and guild abilities, with a number of slots based on weapon/armor skillset placement, much like they do now with the magic system. Things everyone could learn would be things that everyone can do now that fall under different systems/abilities, but would move over to this system. Things such as charged combat maneuvers, or maybe shield bash. Guilds would also have guild only abilities, current abilities that would fall under the new system would be things such as whirlwind, or smite. Really the system could get as expansive as one would want, all the way up until the size and scope matches the magic system. Or it could stay entirely small, general, open to everyone, and just use the charged combat maneuvers in the manner suggested above in order to allow players without access to TM (or crappy TM) to match the damage output of MU guilds.

So anyway, this is just a suggestion. Something that popped into my head in order to bring a little bit of parity between NMU and MU damage by using an existing concept and code infrastructure.
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/12/2016 01:11 PM CDT
I had a rant typed out. I opted not to post it.

The simplest way to bring parity between NMU and MU is to remove the distinction. Make the NMU guys just use the full suite of magic. The game writers are some of the best in the genre, they can make it work.

Fixes basically every problem NMU guilds face as second class citizens.
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/12/2016 02:49 PM CDT
The damage source discrepancy is quantifiable. An MU can target a spell and attack at melee until fully targeted. Alternatively, he can target a spell, aim a crossbow, offhand attack; even target a spell, aim a crossbow, use other pre-loaded attacks and fire/cast. That's 2-3 sources of simultaneous damage to NMUs' 1-2. Even with magic tert, speaking as a tert MU, that's a significant hit.

Backstab may offset the loss for thieves (I don't know since I haven't played my thief in a while), but it doesn't for barbs. Either way, I don't see why both guilds shouldn't have some sort of attack powered by TM, or a skill that replaces TM in the supernatural skill set. TM roars make sense for barbs. Not sure what would fit for thieves... Maybe some sort of khri projection.
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/12/2016 02:50 PM CDT
I look at it like this:

Magic Primes - You're in a fine place. We're still looking at a way to work TM Foci into the mix would would be, largely, a replacement for weapon damage.

Magic Secondaries - I think these classes are generally in a fine place too. Necromancers are weapon tert, but they have powerful pets and powerful TM so I think we're good. These classes may also seem some marked benefits of TM foci.

Magic Terts - Here's where it gets interesting. Paladins and Rangers have TM spells but they're not on par with magic primes in their flexibility and ranks backing them up generally. However, they tend to have more powerful weapons to influence their weapon damage (or they should) either through magic or their guild special abilities (And I'm fully aware both of them are slated for improvements to their guild special abilities).

That leaves the NMUs.
Barbarians - It's my feeling that any "extra damage streams" should be done in a barbarian way - through weapons. Whirlwind is one example of this. There's a fairly cool idea for dual wielding floating around that would really help. It's not a project I'm up to date on, but that's more the direction I believe Barbarians should go.

Thieves - Thieves are trickier. We've discussed some options, but we haven't locked into any of them. One way to be to find a way to integrate Khri/Ambushes/Stealths etc into more steady damage through weapons. That's a very possible path. The other is letting thieves use magic in a limited way. We've discussed that on and off (And there's some cool ideas there) but in none of these would they be fully fledged magic classes. I agree whole heatedly with that as I don't think being a full fledged caster is the right fantasy for the class. As such, even if we went down that path AND Thieves had access to TM, I don't think it'd be sufficently developed to fill the niche you're seeking here (It'd be, at best, on part with Ranger and Paladin TM and likely not that fleshed out.)

Traders - Well, at some point they're going to stop being NMUs. Problem solved.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/12/2016 03:08 PM CDT
For melee in particular, I wonder if Thieves and Barbarians could get a toggle that lets them choose to a % chance of doublestrike that is comparable to the extra damage of TM or a % chance to hit multiple mobs with one strike (comparable to an AoE strike).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/12/2016 03:14 PM CDT

I'd be really hesitant to talk about extra damage "streams" for barbarians in particular until we start talking about Volcano and Tenacity being brought back down the planet earth.

As far as thieves go... backstab? On targets without broken arse barriers it is quite powerful.
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/12/2016 03:43 PM CDT
>DR-RAESH I look at it like this:

That's basically why I opted not to post a rant. I know the GMs are working on it. And don't get me wrong, my random alts enjoy the fruits of magical labor.
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/12/2016 03:51 PM CDT
>It's my feeling that any "extra damage streams" should be done in a barbarian way - through weapons.

I'm happy you wrote that. I feel like all non-magic-primary guilds should have extra damage streams within their wheelhouse, including Paladins (shield/armor abilities) and Rangers (bow/stealth abilities). Not sure if rangers are already there with dual load and snipe.

>On targets without broken arse barriers it is quite powerful.

Backstab is strong regardless of barriers-not-named-Tenacity. I don't know about everyone else, but I was talking strictly PvE.

For whatever it's worth, I hate fighting barbs because they currently play a little like paladins: very hard to hurt (sometimes moreso than paladins), but don't do much damage relative to other guilds. New bows+arrows were a bigger buff to rangers than barbs, so that helped them out. Thieves are the only ones that can melee consistently, and they hit precise and damn hard but are squishy. Haven't fought a bard, but I've seen some good ones fight and they seem to do well, and they look good on paper. Primary MUs are relatively strong except moon mages sans SLS.

That's my PvP experience in 3.1. I would be surprised if a lot of that's significantly different in PvE.
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/12/2016 04:01 PM CDT
The main problem with Thieves and their suite of abilities PvE-wise from what I have observed and heard from friends (especially during Duskruin) is that they are simply too restricted in terms of what you can target with them. So one answer I think for Thieves would be to either remove some of the restrictions or add some new abilities that target different kinds of mobs.

PvP Thieves are honestly fine. Any woes Thieves have in PvP are woes shared by all stealth-heavy guilds, not things specific to Thieves. But that's just my take on the thing.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/12/2016 04:06 PM CDT
Is there a good reason why you can only backstab bipeds? Other creatures have a back, neck, head and arms too.
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/12/2016 04:21 PM CDT
<I'm happy you wrote that. I feel like all non-magic-primary guilds should have extra damage streams within their wheelhouse, including Paladins (shield/armor abilities) and Rangers (bow/stealth abilities). Not sure if rangers are already there with dual load and snipe.

I'm not sure i'm really understanding where your coming from with that. So your saying because your not weapons or magic prime you should have another way of dishing out damage? I mean as a MM i'm magic prime, though, i'm weapons and armor tert, which means I can use TM to effect, but with tert weapons i'm probably not gonna hit a paladin for example at level with them, and I definitely don't have any armor advantages. That seems like a pretty slippery slope. I can understand barbs, and to some degree thieves for another source of damage besides backstab which can be very irritating in some cases. On the other hand Paladins and Rangers both have access to TM, its tert, but so are a lot of skills for other guilds. Rangers already have perks for bow / stealth which are dual-load and snipe, they also have wilderness bonus that helps with some actions. Paladins have TM as well as whatever things like lead and weapons buff they use. They have armor perks, but i'll admit they are very fleshed out, and I think that would be something they would be more inclined to want, or get. Also, don't paladins already have shield slam or whatever, that basically is an attack that checks shield skill?

I'm not trying to make this a GvG debate so to say, I just thought it was kinda odd since by skillset, both paladins and rangers are in a pretty good place as far as hunting / PvP goes. On a development scale, not so much.
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/12/2016 04:26 PM CDT
>> So one answer I think for Thieves would be to either remove some of the restrictions or add some new abilities that target different kinds of mobs.

I think the simplest solution here is to improve Snipe to be as accurate/damaging as BS. With pretty much identical ranks in Bow/SE I can hit, and hurt, someone consistently with BS while I, just as consistently, whiff with Snipe. This would give Thieves an option that not only worked against everything in PvE, but also gives them more options in PvP, other than melee.

It's not really an alternative damage stream, but it's another damage option that makes Thieves not so much of a one-trick pony. An AoE damaging attack would be a welcome addition, too.
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/12/2016 04:28 PM CDT
>> I think the simplest solution here is to improve Snipe to be as accurate/damaging as BS.

I would be extremely pleased by this provided it applied to every version of snipe, but I don't expect it to happen, heh.

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/12/2016 04:42 PM CDT
>I'm not trying to make this a GvG debate so to say, I just thought it was kinda odd since by skillset, both paladins and rangers are in a pretty good place as far as hunting / PvP goes. On a development scale, not so much.

You may have read too much into my post. I do hold paladins and rangers the same due to similar offensive skill set. I feel both guilds should have offensive options that make thematic sense. I was stating that rangers may be there (offensively only) with the bow changes. I was careful to use the word "may" because I really don't know outside what I see when I watch rangers. Last time I played a ranger in 3.1, it was only to like 20th circle.

Please don't confuse that with me stating that I think Rangers shouldn't get other bow/stealth abilities. In fact, I think they should get more, varied bow abilities that aren't all about damage.

>Also, don't paladins already have shield slam or whatever, that basically is an attack that checks shield skill?

Yep. All guilds do, but it's very lackluster. It has a longer RT than a draw and does about half the damage. It's less fleshed out than a themed ability like, say, dual load. GvG not intended; it's just the only kinda sorta themed attack I can compare it to without looking at backstab, which blows both out of the water.
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/12/2016 04:47 PM CDT
>>Yep. All guilds do, but it's very lackluster. It has a longer RT than a draw and does about half the damage. It's less fleshed out than a themed ability like, say, dual load. GvG not intended; it's just the only kinda sorta themed attack I can compare it to without looking at backstab, which blows both out of the water.

Would be neat if Paladins had a shield shove that would do shield damage plus pushback/knockdown. Sorta half shove half slam.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/12/2016 04:58 PM CDT
>>I would be extremely pleased by this provided it applied to every version of snipe...

I would hope that it would. I think everyone should have some kind of alpha strike damage.

>>...but I don't expect it to happen, heh.

Yea, I don't either unfortunately.
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/12/2016 05:03 PM CDT
Heavy TM can be considered an alpha strike.
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/12/2016 05:05 PM CDT
Heavy TM does not remotely stack up against Backstab, for a variety of reasons.

Thayet

Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/12/2016 05:20 PM CDT
Definitely not the same in terms of effect, but kinda the same in principle. An alpha BS is a bonused BS on cooldown like heavy TM is a bonused TM spell on cooldown.
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/13/2016 01:56 AM CDT
> I'd be really hesitant to talk about extra damage "streams" for barbarians in particular until we start talking about Volcano and Tenacity being brought back down the planet earth.

Tenacity? Yeah, nothing like being able to stand around being hit without damage while still not being able to do damage in return...until of course the wounds start to build up and tenacity means diddly.

Volcano? Yeah, nothing like being able to stand around getting hit by death blows and lose Inner Fire until all your buffs fail while still not being able to do damage in return.

So Barbarians shouldn't get an alpha strike because they can stand around for a few minutes longer than normal before they die or lose a challenge? Logic, thy name is missing.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/13/2016 03:28 AM CDT
Well I think more or less they were implying that you shouldn't be able to take backstabs like a champ, and you shouldn't be able to die (or not) multiple times if your actually able to deal a bunch of damage on top.

Basically that person probably was a thief that hates the fact that tenacity pwnz backstab.

They want you to be able to deal more damage, but take a good stabbing like anybody else :)
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/13/2016 09:09 AM CDT
In any case, a lot of barriers are broken counters to some guilds. I've had warrior mage TM spells cast at me completely nullified by lay ward. That's not stopping 3.2 from release. It was stated the barrier changes are coming after.
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/13/2016 10:12 AM CDT

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think lay ward is even a part of the barrier review.
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/13/2016 10:50 AM CDT
That's correct. Magic and SvS wards are slated for review, but they may not be released at the same time as damage wards.

Here's Raesh's post on it:

>Also I really appreciate the input everyone.

>As a reminder - we're only talking about damage barriers here. Not anti magic barriers, not SvS barriers. Those are also up for review, but they're a different animal - they use different mechanics and sprucing them up faces different challenges.

>I do encourage everyone to go test out Spectral Barrier on Test and let me know how the mechanics feel - I think we're very close to where we want to be now. (I'm less concerned about testing Minor Warding since it's very close to what we have already)

>If nothing major crops up the next step is to outline what the new spells for each guild will be and as spells are converted they'll roll into Test over the next few weeks.

>-Raesh

>"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream 04/13/2016 10:51 AM CDT
>>Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think lay ward is even a part of the barrier review.

Not the first round. Physical barriers will be first, then magical barriers.
Re: NMU Extra Damage Stream ::NUDGE:: 04/13/2016 07:15 PM CDT
We've mostly been good about the guild vs. guild stuff so far, lets try to keep it that way and remain on topic.

If you have a question about the forums, please email me or Senior Board Moderator Helje at DR-Helje@play.net or Message Board Supervisor, Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net .