Ideas for functional polearm weapons 01/12/2016 11:30 AM CST
As someone who uses polearm as my primary weapon I would love to see the following:

1) Automatically stopping at pole range to attack rather than charging to melee if a polearm is in hand. Maybe even make this an engagement toggle.

2) An automatic attempt to keep opponents at pole range, rather than having to type in the command "shove". Maybe some sort of combat toggle that you can turn on and off to attempt this. Obviously there would be some sort of skill check involved.

Anyone have other ideas?

--Just a Squire

Riveted to the metal is a small copper plaque depicting a shield crossed with a longsword overlaying a field of thirteen stars. Encircling the design are the words, "Many Faces - One God."
Re: Ideas for functional polearm weapons 01/12/2016 04:13 PM CST
Agreed. Pole range combat really needs to be fleshed out. Currently, it is either ranged or melee, while pole ranged combat is sorely neglected.
Re: Ideas for functional polearm weapons 01/12/2016 10:39 PM CST
Somewhat feel that keeping enemies at Pole-arm range should be somehow linked to a contest of armors. Why because it's the skillset that needs more love. I feel it needs something equivalent to the whole Lore has crafting (FINALLY).

I'd call this new set of things Manuevering (and it wouldn't have to be it's own skill, just a new bases for how the skillset better helps things, and perhaps have feats, abilities, manuevering that are built within it).

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Ideas for functional polearm weapons 01/13/2016 02:13 AM CST
I think something that works like hangback would be good, except the RT goes to the person trying to advance on you. Maybe defending vs. tactics, with weapon/armor averaged in as well, or something? Plus a diminishing return, so eventually they will be able to close to melee.
Re: Ideas for functional polearm weapons 01/13/2016 08:43 AM CST
> Maybe defending vs. tactics, with weapon/armor averaged in as well<

I like that idea. Gives Paladins who are supposed to have polearms in their SOI a leg-up on it.

--Just a Squire

Riveted to the metal is a small copper plaque depicting a shield crossed with a longsword overlaying a field of thirteen stars. Encircling the design are the words, "Many Faces - One God."
Re: Ideas for functional polearm weapons 01/13/2016 11:29 AM CST
<<Anyone have other ideas?>>

Maybe GUARDing could be enhanced by holding a pole-range weapon. Instead of intercepting a single enemy when it hits melee, you halt the advancement at pole range and the enemy turns to face you. They'll have to begin their advance (now on you instead of their original target) again from pole, and you can keep it up until something is at melee with you. So if there's multiple enemies simultaneously advancing on the person being GUARDed, using a polearm will allow you to intercept more than just one of them. Maybe this involves some sort of skill contest.

Another idea would be to adjust MANEUVER IMPALE so that if it's performed on an enemy that's advancing from missile range, you automatically wait to execute it until they reach pole range if it would otherwise have been ready to fire sooner. A successful hit will halt their advance so that they must start again, buying you time for maybe another attack or two before they reach melee range. Maybe the hit starts a short-ish timer before they're allowed to start advancing again.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Ideas for functional polearm weapons 01/19/2016 02:33 AM CST
In addition to Lennon's excellent ideas for polearm-ranged weapons, I'd like to add a third point, which I've suggested before: Allow us to completely disable charging forever. I never, ever, ever want to charge; it only ever happens by accident and it can just guarantee a wound on some enemies I face (especially facing ranged attacks on armor tertiary characters).
Re: Ideas for functional polearm weapons 01/19/2016 08:43 AM CST
I wish charging required a specific command outside of advance/engage. I don't know if charge <creature> would be complicated due to the magical stuff charge already does but a similar command would work as well.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Ideas for functional polearm weapons 01/19/2016 10:01 AM CST
Honestly I wish avoid !<verb> was a thing. Like... if I could never curtsy instead of chuckling, or sigh instead of signing...

It would be awesome to be able to avoid whatever verbs we wanted. I don't know how feasible that is. Seems like it would be pretty binary if ! then no.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.