Making Less-than-Optimal Armor More Useful 04/01/2015 09:27 AM CDT
I have recently returned to DR as a free-to-play character and wanted to try something less conventional than I had previously done. As such, I wanted to wear armor different than the seemingly-same 3 items (for each armor class) most people end up wearing for optimal coverage/protection. Looking over the available armor types, though, made it very apparent that the ability to mix and match a more unique outfit while maintaining an acceptable level of coverage is not easy to reconcile.

I appreciate the customization and intricate depth of DR, especially compared to the trend toward sameness in many other games where everyone ends up looking the same as they acquire the optimal gear.

I had a couple ideas, which I hope you'll forgive me for repeating if they've been brought up before.

1) Pattern reorganization - Standardize coverage areas to minimize items required and allow easier interchangeability/customization. This is the most direct approach but sounds to me like a development nightmare as it means remaking all armor patterns while ensuring that all existing armor continues to function satisfactorily. It also introduces an element of sameness in reducing the effective number of armor "slots".

2) Attachment - Allow smaller pieces to be grafted on to larger ones, reducing item count and visual clutter while retaining same protection/penalties as separate items. There are many interesting armor items that are underused, partially because they require the accompaniment of additional tiresome and unappealing items. Attaching a minor (but necessary) item like a mask or greaves to a larger and more visually-attractive item like a helm or coat would allow more freedom in choice of armor. I am unfamiliar with the mechanics behind armor so I have no idea if this sort of addition, rather than a bottom-up remake, would be practical.

3) Overlap - Allow the wearing of multiple armor pieces over a given area, burden/hindrance adding cumulatively while protection/experience is only provided by single most protective item covering the affected area. This allows a small penalty for unconventional armor configurations that scales up as the amount of overlap increases. The number of armor pieces that cover a given area could be limited (to 2 or 3) to prevent ridiculous appearances or unlimited for maximum customization. This seems like the most attractive option as it maximizes customization, doesn't require any changes to existing armor patterns, does not limit any future items, and scales a penalty for less optimal configurations.

This may be an issue for too small a proportion of the population to be worth considering but it's something I came across early in my return to the game and wanted to put forth as a possible way to leverage one of the major attractions of Dragonrealms, the incredible depth of customization and personal connection to one's character.
Re: Making Less-than-Optimal Armor More Useful 04/01/2015 10:26 AM CDT
>2) Attachment

This is a neat idea. I don't know background mechanics, but guessing this would be very complicated. To add an idea to this, what about armor that you can stuff or line with materials (leather padding, bone/metal "plates") so you could swap out the material but wear same armor and train different armor types. Work somewhat like how Kevlar plated body armor military/cops wear. Not sure if fits exactly into medieval fantasy, but neither does pink glitter half plate ;)

This is modern body armor, but just in case not understanding what I mean-
http://www.ar500armor.com/

[20:11] Chatter[Arathael] Usually only get skill when it's successful.
[20:13] Chatter[Morpion] Thats why Arathael has 0.00 ranks in Getting Girls
[20:14] Chatter[Arathael] =(