Slings: Always the Bridesmaid and Never the Bride 03/06/2016 01:05 PM CST
Slings...

Those weapons that used to be mostly a joke RP choice but recently have become pretty good weapons with crafting and other general buffs. But despite all this they still rarely are picked as a primary loaded ranged weapon by most people. After creating a new Olvi character I got kind of sad to see that of the 4 guilds that even have Slings in their SoI none really could utilize it above another option.

Rangers and Barbarians can double load with bows.
Thieves have it in their SoI but can't buff it and can't even pick a Sorcery option to do so since they are NMU.
Clerics... well I guess clerics could Sorcery to buff it.

It would be nice if Slings were either adjusted to work with Double Load, was added to Khri Steady (yes I know the previous discussion about how GMs didn't want Thieves to be able to buff all three ranged weapons), or have a bonus perk added somewhere among the guilds to be at least an attractive option.
Re: Slings: Always the Bridesmaid and Never the Bride 03/06/2016 02:07 PM CST
>Thieves have it in their SoI but can't buff it and can't even pick a Sorcery option to do so since they are NMU.

I had slings at 200+ ranks before I learned that Khri don't buff it 'because no guild should be able to buff every ranged weapon'.

Backtraining 200 ranks of bows was totally fun and I sure do enjoy being a cookie cutter character now.
Re: Slings: Always the Bridesmaid and Never the Bride 03/06/2016 02:26 PM CST
Thieves and Rangers should be able to buff every ranged weapon imo.

Double load for slings would be ideal as a skill feat scaled to skillset and open to everyone. Survival primary would get sling double at X sling skill, survival secondary sling double load at X*2 sling skill, survival tertiary sling double load at X*3 sling skill.

Wish we could craft tailored slings and staff slings as well.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Slings: Always the Bridesmaid and Never the Bride 03/06/2016 02:37 PM CST
>>> Survival primary would get sling double at X sling skill, survival secondary sling double load at X*2 sling skill, survival tertiary sling double load at X*3 sling skill.

I would imagine that double loading slings should be tied to the weapons skill set, if anything. It would probably be best as a shared thief, ranger and barbarian ability though.
Re: Slings: Always the Bridesmaid and Never the Bride 03/06/2016 03:52 PM CST
>I would imagine that double loading slings should be tied to the weapons skill set, if anything. It would probably be best as a shared thief, ranger and barbarian ability though.

Had survival on the brain, meant weapons skillset placement. Not a huge fan of tying what should be a skill feat to a guild or handful of guilds. With enough skill any slinger/archer should be able to double load if anyone can imo.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Slings: Always the Bridesmaid and Never the Bride 03/06/2016 04:36 PM CST
Can there be a re-visit to the all ranged weapons buff deal? I don't really understand the design logic, I'm for every skill having a REASON to be used and I don't can't getting more TDPs as it.

Using Slings as your main weapon or main ranged to me is a REASON.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Slings: Always the Bridesmaid and Never the Bride 03/06/2016 04:41 PM CST
Thieves can't buff slings because they can buff all other weapons. SOI or not, there had to be something given up. I'm glad it was slings. It has nothing to do with ranged weapons.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Slings: Always the Bridesmaid and Never the Bride 03/06/2016 05:10 PM CST
>>Thieves can't buff slings because they can buff all other weapons. SOI or not, there had to be something given up. I'm glad it was slings. It has nothing to do with ranged weapons.

If people go "well pick this one no one likes it anyway" then the general purpose of not having a guild be able to buff "everything" is defeated.

It's like picking performance as the thing to not buff in the lore set.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Slings: Always the Bridesmaid and Never the Bride 03/06/2016 05:17 PM CST
Lol complain all you want. That's what the GMs decided. I just happen to agree. Sling is slightly less annoying now than it ever was and staff slings will always be stupid. So yes, I'm glad it's the one weapons skill I can't bump. I trained all weapons before it was cool, and long before any inkling of new khri were introduced. Slings have always been boring. As a survival prime, two ranged weapons is all that is necessary for training stealth efficiently. Might as well not train that one.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Slings: Always the Bridesmaid and Never the Bride 03/06/2016 08:19 PM CST
>>Lol complain all you want.

Less a complaint, more an observation.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Slings: Always the Bridesmaid and Never the Bride 03/06/2016 09:33 PM CST
Staff sling + senci shard + str/agil = devastating weapon with low rt. Two cents in. Keep the change.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: Slings: Always the Bridesmaid and Never the Bride 03/07/2016 09:16 PM CST

A few years ago, we had a number of lively discussions about different kinds of sling ammo. I suggested glass balls with naphtha in one compartment and flint and steel in another. Bam! Crispy-fried critter! ;)

Player of...
Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy