3.0 and Slings 12/29/2010 08:35 AM CST
Since experience/combat/everything 3.0, each skill will have a reason to train it, is there any way a name in red can hint or comment on how slings will be brought up to at least try to compare with bows?

I'm hoping for sling being the 'LT' of the aimable weapons. Since stones appraise pathetically in comparison to say basilisk arrows, maybe we could load multiple stones with enough skill.
Re: 3.0 and Slings 12/29/2010 11:32 AM CST
Part of me believes that with the new crafting systems on the way, we'll start seeing slings that [finally!} take better advantage of stats, not to mention lots of new ammo types benefitting from lots of new material types. The stones we can currently carve aren't all that bad, and it's worth keeping in mind that granite isn't even all that hot on the stone-material food chain.

I love the idea of a multi-rocks feat, though.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: 3.0 and Slings 12/30/2010 05:40 AM CST
Not that sling ammo shouldn't get better stats, but I like the idea of added "sling can do neat things" better than creating a stat arms race between slings and bows.

Multi-load (for everyone, leave multi-load bows to barbs/rangers)
Reduced time to full aim
Naphtha
Vials of nasty stuff cooked up in the alchemy system (point effect sleeping gas, poison gas, etc)
"Quick load" feat (draw sling, load it, and snapfire in 1 command; this should be shared with short bows to help differentiate them from longbows under the new "bows" skill)
Melee attack that does damaged at a skill-penalized level but can be performed while aiming (I know it's unreasonable IRL, but think smacking someone with rock end of a whirling sling and being so awesome that you can keep aiming and keep the stone in the sling)

I think all these ideas should be skill-level accessible, with some skill sets getting access to the feat at a lower rank (see milti-shot throwing blade as an example).

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: 3.0 and Slings 12/30/2010 05:50 AM CST
cool ideas.

Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: 3.0 and Slings 12/30/2010 07:09 AM CST
>>Not that sling ammo shouldn't get better stats, but I like the idea of added "sling can do neat things" better than creating a stat arms race between slings and bows.

I would like to elaborate on this a little because I think sling with-out a doubt has a place for higher stats but different types of damage. IMO bows and crossbows should be primarily puncture damage with slice secondary and minimal impact. Sling ammo should be the opposite primarily impact, slice secondary, minimal puncture. Sling should be the dominant impact ammo for all aimable weapons. It's probably close to the most impact, but when you compare ammo that does heavy/fair/moderate to ammo that does no/no/moderate, there is a clear winner.

If arrow damage is capped at around heavy/fair/moderate that ALSO allows dual loading, it would make sense that high-end sling ammo should be able to hit something like fair/moderate/heavy WITH dual loading as well IMO.

I did hear rumor that sling ammo would be able to hit heavy impact but we will see!

Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: 3.0 and Slings 12/30/2010 09:48 AM CST
<<cool ideas.>>
Re: 3.0 and Slings 12/30/2010 11:26 AM CST
It just makes sense to me that heavier ammo would be towards the heavier end of damage - so you could get player made ammo that hit really hard but was fairly heavy. :)

I like the ideas to add to it though as well, something to make it more of a fun weapon.
Re: 3.0 and Slings 02/18/2012 06:10 PM CST
Resurrecting an old thread here. Hoping a GM can comment.

Any word on whether or not slings will get any love in combat 3.0? There's a couple of good ideas in this thread as far as what could happen to make them a realistic ranged combat option. I, personally, would like to see them be able to be used offhanded. I would also like to see staff slings either a) no longer factor heavy blunt skill into the parry calcs, or b) be swappable SS/sling weapons.

The slingshot from the riot quest is fun, and I'm hoping slingshots will be craftable. Will there be any difference in stats for different types of slings and slingshots, and will that matter at all?

I had an idea that is probably uncodeable, but would be kinda neat. I thought of it after seeing bunches of people walking around with those fluffy bullwhips and decided I would love to be able to use one in combat. How about having whips be a pole-range "melee" weapon governed by the sling skill that does minimal damage, but works as a weapons-skillset disabler. Examples: a hit to the head, neck, and eyes have high chance for stuns, and potentially a perception debuff. hits to the arms and hands have an unbalancing effect and a chance to cause someone to drop what they are holding (with safety mechanisms in place to avoid abuse and item theft). hits to the legs would cause greater unbalancing effect with chance to knock to knees or prone. Body hits would... I dunno, stop someone from advancing? Also, you could use them to help climb (Indiana Jones style!), like how heavy rope is used. Like I said, it probably would be impossible to code, but it was a weird idea that I had that would help carve a niche out for the sling skill.

Silly ideas aside... is anyone able to comment on what the plans are to make slings viable in 3.0?
Re: 3.0 and Slings 02/19/2012 04:56 AM CST
Damage and learning is being seperated, as long as you can hit you'll learn.

Slings are as fast as bows but you can still properly use one with a shield, Staff slings which are the same skill can be used to parry with something that no other skill allows.

They'll get their love, even if its indirect.