Prev_page Previous 1
sling ammo 08/18/2003 12:03 AM CDT
ok wondering if there is any big difference in ammos. right now i'm using large rocks from the crossing's weaponshop and they seem to be doing ok, heard of coral and whatnot being non-lodging, do they hit as hard though? from my experience if it doesn't lodge it usually doesn't do nearly as much damage as something that does, at least as far as arrows go. was wondering if someone could shine a lil light on the subject for a beginning sling user. also if coral or whatever work that much better would anyone have any to sell? i think i'll only need one right? plus i'm out on Ratha and was wondering if tanned slings were better than normal, right now i'm using a hide sling from orc scouts. if they are better i'll be looking to buy one of those too. thanks in advance guys

anomen
Re: sling ammo 08/18/2003 12:03 AM CDT
My FAVORITE sling ammo of all time is the smooth rocks that lesser sluaghs drop, they east of riverhaven in the swamp.

Drachus

The thief guild is like Andy Coffman

Amusing, but you kinda feel sorry for em at the same time
Forageable sling ammo? 09/19/2003 07:09 PM CDT
Hey everyone.

I usually use sling ammo I forage up. I used to be able to find small rocks fairly easily. But the rocks I forage up now cannot be used for ammo. They are 'rocks', instead of 'small rocks'.

I don't use sling too often, so I don't like carrying the extra weight of the ammo. Hence the foraging rocks when I needed them. Anyone know if we can forage sling ammo?

Thanks,

-Gavyn
Re: Forageable sling ammo? 09/22/2003 02:08 PM CDT
ya forage for small rocks

Greyfall/Thyw

Poodles can fly, too. They just can't land. ~~ Qreyq
If you don't find death death will find you.
The gene pool needs cleansing and I am the minister of chlorine.
Solch ist lebens
Zu jedem besitzt seiner ist

sling ammo 10/08/2003 12:21 PM CDT
stone fists or smooth rocks?

Anyone know which is better? Personally I'm leaning towards the fists, but they keep disintegrating.

~Sircha

Single Bardic Female seeks Expert Combat Teacher must be flexible on hours. Knowledge of bows a plus.
Re: sling ammo 10/08/2003 06:16 PM CDT
Rounded coral <drool>

Next time I am in game I will look you up, in Shard right now donchaknow. I have a few extra in my vault I can give out. Plus side is they haven't lodged yet on me.

Chanerelle, Player of
Locksmith Union

Y! Y is what the people say to us! "Why did you kill us all? Why are you so great? Why are you so powerful? Why? Why? Why?" HAHAHAHA!
Re: sling ammo 10/09/2003 05:42 PM CDT
Haven't tried fists since the ship fest, but you need to load them before stowing them to make them more permanent, I think.

Oh, and my update...57/57

Maulem~
King of the Port Monkies
Re: sling ammo 10/11/2003 05:57 AM CDT
If I remember right, when FoS was rewritten, none of the weapons stay around permanently, including the fists. Might have changed, but that was right when it came out again.

Sylme, the brutal Gnome
Taking up your time for 21 years and running.
re: sling ammo 01/15/2008 06:58 AM CST
Your point has become useless since you took it too overboard, one of the problems with slings is it takes forever and you get crappy hits, if you got 1 sec full aim and load rts, not a single person would complain because it would make training somewhat bearable.

re: sling ammo 01/15/2008 02:32 PM CST
<<could not recall there ever being a fest staff sling >>

There is and was. My player from long ago who was one of the first to train every weapon had a fest staff sling. Just can not remember the description now...
re: sling ammo 01/17/2008 01:06 PM CST
If you do happen to run across it, please post it up.

___
~Ternith Sjomah

Nobody ever won a war by dying for his country, he won it by making the other bastard die for his. - George Patton.
re: sling ammo 01/18/2008 10:17 PM CST
Ok I made up the 20 ranks for this test

Staff Sling vs. sling
Ranks both at 102
Agility: 36

All shots done with full aim at melee via script using smooth river rocks against 1st tier snow goblins.

*Staff Sling*

Gob1Gob2
numtextpowernumtextpower
1hard61good4
2solid52hard6
3solid53hard6
4good strike44extremely heavy10
5hard65heavy8
6hard66solid5
7hard67extremely heavy10
8solid5
9extremely heavy10
total5349
Gob3Gob4
numtextpowernumtextpower
1good strike41hard6
2good strike42strong7
3hard63light2
4good strike44solid5
5good strike45hard6
6hard66hard6
7heavy87hard6
8good strike48heavy8
9solid59very heavy9
10strong7
11heavy8
12massive12
total7255

Total shots: 37
Average power per shot: 6.189 (Between a hard and strong hit)

Sling

Gob1Gob2
numtextpowernumtextpower
1heavy81hard6
2solid52hard6
3strong73good strike4
4solid54strong7
5good strike45hard6
6heavy86good strike4
7strong77solid5
8powerful118strong7
9solid5
10strong7
total5557
Gob3Gob4
numtextpowernumtextpower
1hard61solid5
2good hit32solid5
3hard63solid5
4hard64heavy8
5hard65heavy8
6good strike46strong7
7strong77very heavy9
8heavy8
9very heavy9
total5247

Total shots: 34
Average power per shot: 6.206 (Between a hard and strong hit)

Conclusions??

In this limited test (sling vs. staff sling) Sling performed slightly better in power and number of shots to achieve opponent death. This coupled with the load time of staff sling at 4 seconds vs. sling at only 2 seconds, makes staff sling a decent amount less efficient at killing than sling.
-I don't believe the benefit of being able to parry with staff sling outweight the +2 seconds upon every load.

Other interesting data:
Going by this scale, 1st tier snow goblins can take about 54.625 points of damage.
(if I took out the one extreme of 72 the average would of been 52.1429 points of damage)

Thanks for reading!
re: sling ammo 01/19/2008 07:46 AM CST
When testing ranged attacks, I would suggest you do so from pole/missile range. Allowing critters to sit there and wail on you and gain/loose balance will throw off your data points. I know it is more difficult but I think it might make for more valuable data.

All that aside, I do want to extend my thanks to those of you doing these tests. It's no small secret I like seeing the "numbers" behind DR.

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Sword of House Calibanor, Ambassador of the Ilithi Court, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, ... still a Ranger
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
re: sling ammo 01/19/2008 12:12 PM CST
I haven't done a thorough test from pole, but I will say in the melee vs missle attack with slings, melee wins out, big time. I'm not sure how much balance affects slings. I've tried dancing swan and didn't notice much difference from any range, however, dancing bear is a noticable boost. My suggestion, make sure you can dance with the critter, multiples is better, and stick to melee. If you don't have a strength buff, boost your strength attribute if you want to be a slinger as well. Also, snapfiring has seemed to work very well for me, I never aim with a sling, and I'm locking both of them very nicely with almost 80 ranks in both.

Nice test Codiax, thanks for sharing.

Bavest
re: sling ammo 01/19/2008 12:57 PM CST
<<When testing ranged attacks, I would suggest you do so from pole/missile range. Allowing critters to sit there and wail on you and gain/loose balance will throw off your data points. I know it is more difficult but I think it might make for more valuable data.>>

Do you mean without them swinging at me at all? I figured if they all were equally unbalanced (all whiffing completely) it still shows the difference between sling vs. staff sling. I wasn't necessarily trying to show the power of the shots....they could be 5, they could be 10, it doesn't really matter....if I moved to a natural critter with no armor the avg power would most definately be higher, but I wanted to see the difference in power of the shots between the two types of weapons on essentially the same type of target. I can see how the data would be a bit better if the gob was always at "solidly balanced" however. I may try a couple shorter tests with this.

<<melee vs missle attack with slings, melee wins out, big time. I'm not sure how much balance affects slings.>>

Yeah, the test would be definately a ton longer if done at range, It would be really hard trying to stay at pole, not sure if I can successfully hangback or not with them. Missile would be easier I think but not sure if I will even hit them lol. Range with slings = awful as Bavest said.

<<I've tried dancing swan and didn't notice much difference from any range, however, dancing bear is a noticable boost.>>

I may try a test with bear or blood to see if my results are different from the original as well.
re: sling ammo 01/19/2008 01:00 PM CST
I totally agree with you on the strength boost and harder at melee thing. I was just suggesting for testing purposes to eliminate the balance variable. I do disagree about balance position not mattering though, I always got better hit from a load aim circle shove fire combo.

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Sword of House Calibanor, Ambassador of the Ilithi Court, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, ... still a Ranger
re: sling ammo 01/19/2008 01:08 PM CST
<<I do disagree about balance position not mattering though>>

I didn't say it didn't matter, I said the gobs should be "equally unbalanced"
re: sling ammo 01/19/2008 02:37 PM CST
>I'm not sure how much balance affects slings. ~ Bavest
>>I do disagree about balance position not mattering though ~ Me

I see where your test of sling v. staff sling was going, and I generally agree with it, I'm pretty sure more data points would just reveal more of the same, regardless of range or balance. Thanks again for doing those tests.

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
re: sling ammo 03/12/2008 01:54 AM CDT
Wasn't trying to be too scientific, basically just tracking hit strengths while gathering boxes in sand sprites, which is normally when I train sling anyway. Didn't worry about balance or range. Just aim for 1 second then 'shoot chest', over and over.

http://www.drtanning.net/tan/slingtest.html

500 shots with each type of ammo. I'm missing smooth river rocks from the Aesry shop, will do those next time I get around to sprites...and corals I guess but I don't know what those are. Anyone know any other readily available ammo?

I was going to keep my sling skill constant with sleep, but I just couldn't let all that sling exp pass up. :P Sling skill went from 82-85 during this test. Not quite the 100 Oolan stated...maybe will try again when (if) I get significantly over that.

In addition I took each hit strength (from brushing to apocalyptic), ranked it sequentially, and averaged which gave the following:

Polished River Rock 9.584
Fist of Stone 9.586
Small Rock 10.656
Small Granite Rock 10.712
Large Rock 11.194
Heavy Quartz Rock 11.252

With 9 being "strong", 10 being "heavy", and 11 being "very heavy".

Will update with the smooth rocks eventually, though I suspect they will be similar to the polished and FoS.

http://www.drtanning.net
sling ammo 05/02/2008 06:24 PM CDT
Looking to take up sling, any sling ammo reccomendations?
Re: sling ammo 05/02/2008 06:27 PM CDT
Sure. Don't bother until they rewrite it.

I know that's a sarcastic answer, but that's my honest opinion after testing slings with many templates and all the ammo types I could lay my hands on. Even optimizing your performance with rare old ammo and player-made P5 templates simply performs poorly.

If you're wanting a unique weapon type, try halberds, or heavy thrown, or light thrown, or pike.
Doctor: Are you Alliance?
Early: Am I lion? Huh. I don't think of myself as a lion. But you might as well have a mighty roar!
Re: sling ammo 05/02/2008 06:45 PM CDT
It can be hard to become good with sling- Though I have known people able to use it to kill adan'f and similar-level critters. The thing I really have a problem with with sling is that repair shops refuse to touch them for even the most minuscule of scuffs.

It can be a fun hobby. And there is even free ammo: Large rocks in Shard gargs, or smooth rocks from the sluaghs in the Zaulfang, or perhaps from treks or orc bandits.

A number of us have asked that sling be given some loving. Until it happens, don't try to make it your prime weapon.

Good luck!

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: sling ammo 05/02/2008 07:36 PM CDT
>>Looking to take up sling, any sling ammo reccomendations?

Lead bullets - Heavy impact.

I think 15 of them exist in DR?

Good luck.

I am --- Navak
Re: sling ammo 05/03/2008 02:34 PM CDT
The best ammo I have used is the smooth river rocks on Aersy, I did some testing and they seemed to hit slightly harder but it could be just me. Also they don't lodge so that is a pretty good benefit.

If you are fighting something natural (no armor or weapons) you can snap shoot them to death at melee (depending on ranks of course)
Anything with any armor you probably want to use full aim.

Use defensive debuffs on your targets, that helps alot.

There are only two types of slings that I have ever seen...and they have a difference by 1 in the balance\suited mod. I know the one at Vishlan's wagon is one of the better ones. (not sure if his wagon is still around)

good luck.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: sling ammo 05/04/2008 11:07 AM CDT
>Looking to take up sling, any sling ammo reccomendations?

>Sure. Don't bother until they rewrite it.

I second this oppinon. Belive me the PAIN of learning sling either Staff sling or regular sling is unbelivable. Until they "fix" them they are a useless weapon and extremely difficult to train just for training purposes.

>It can be hard to become good with sling- Though I have known people able to use it to kill adan'f and similar-level critters.

Yes those were the good ole days Ryeka. Slings could actualy do real damage. After the last round of massive combat changes slings got ... "broke"? well somthing happen to them where they are not a viable weapon choice. Can't hit for squat, when you do can't hit with anything resambling real damage and killing somthing with a sling is akin to a mosquitoe stinging a bull to death. I have used as many as 30 rocks to down somthing and things I kill with slings just to move an agonizing rank of it usualy dies from Vitality loss not the actual sling hits cheating me of the extra EXP bump from the killing blow more than 50% of the time. BOO!!
Re: sling ammo 05/04/2008 11:32 AM CDT
<<I have used as many as 30 rocks to down somthing and things I kill with slings just to move an agonizing rank of it usualy dies from Vitality loss not the actual sling hits cheating me of the extra EXP bump from the killing blow more than 50% of the time. BOO!! >>

No offense, but you don't know how to use sling then or you were overhunting.

I have no problem killing Third tier snow goblins with 130 ranks of sling in about 6-9 shots. And that is overhunting.

Does sling need help? hell yeah, worse weapon ever (including staff sling)

Some of the big difference that I have seen (compared to other ranged weapons) is that you can snap shoot bow and crossbow and get good hits, this is not the case with sling, you need to aim for atleast a few seconds. It's pretty inaccurate. But with full aim this is usually what happens...first 3-5 hits are between good-hard, then last 3 hits are between heavy-powerful\massive. Some of the time the last hit will be annihilating\Earth-shaking etc range.

Because of the awful snap shoot of slings you would never want to PVP with it either...would be awful...probably would whiff if target was stunned and prone.

Re: sling ammo 05/04/2008 11:41 AM CDT
It is true that when I was training sling, I would load, aim, circle my prey, then fire. So I'm probably seeing better results than people who are used to snap-shooting with a bow-type of weapon. So it certainly isn't a PVP weapon.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: sling ammo 05/04/2008 04:45 PM CDT
>>I have no problem killing Third tier snow goblins with 130 ranks of sling in about 6-9 shots. And that is overhunting.

You probably have tons more strength and agility too.

I remember when I was young (sub-circle 10 Barbarian) I tried using sling with large rocks and a Crossing sling (full aim) and yes, it can literally take 15-20 hits in the worst-case scenarios to bring a musk hog down.
Early: Am I lion? Huh. I don't think of myself as a lion. But you might as well have a mighty roar!
Re: sling ammo 05/04/2008 06:39 PM CDT
<<You probably have tons more strength and agility too.>>

I don't know what you mean by tons, but I probably have a bit more than someone at level in snow goblins, I'm circle 45 with 38 agility and 35 strength. What is normal for third tier? 30/30 approx.? Damnit now your making me curious to see what I can do at level...heres for another 100 ranks. :/

Re: sling ammo 05/04/2008 07:22 PM CDT
>>I don't know what you mean by tons, but I probably have a bit more than someone at level in snow goblins, I'm circle 45 with 38 agility and 35 strength. What is normal for third tier? 30/30 approx.? Damnit now your making me curious to see what I can do at level...heres for another 100 ranks. :/

45 in snobs? You must be a mage.

Even in snow goblins, a Barbarian would be about 10 circles lower than you (and have no TDPs from magic skills). I have found that, with weaker weapons especially, those extra few stat points can really add up.

Though really I wasn't commenting on your situation in particular as I was saying mileage can vary greatly. I have, for example, taken 15-20 fully-aimed shots with a sling to take a critter down.

It's pretty bad that a fully-aimed shot can score a light hit sometimes.
Re: sling ammo 05/04/2008 08:01 PM CDT
<<45 in snobs? You must be a mage.>>

You disgrace me!!! :) I am a Barb, I am backtraining sling in Snow goblins. (among a few other weapons)

The weapon reqs for Barbs top weapon at 45 is 230.. (third tier teaches to about 210, slowing alot at 200, so its not really that far off)

but anyways that is why i said this.... <<Damnit now your making me curious to see what I can do at level...heres for another 100 ranks>>

100+130 = 230 = at level. So yes, you are right that my agility is above a normal person there, but not by "tons". I will let you know if I take 20-30 shots at level when I get there...that is if I do because I very well may not got there.

Re: sling ammo 05/05/2008 02:12 PM CDT
>But with full aim this is usually what happens...first 3-5 hits are between good-hard, then last 3 hits are between heavy-powerful\massive.

If I am not mistaken your player is a Barb... that means a TON of Strenght and agility probably... my guy is a WM. I also think your guy is quite a big barb. Stats make a huge difference.

As he is just looking to start out training slings with a new character ... I can not even begin to imagine the pain of trying to use Slings as primary or even secondary weapon choice long term as they are now.
Re: sling ammo 05/05/2008 02:14 PM CDT
Bah! You are a barb. Altho not as big as I'd tught.

And no not overhunting. I got 110 in sling and can not even HIT anything near third tier snobs let alone kill with a sling in 6.7 shots. That is using all kinds of spells to boost my fighting not to mention spells to disable my pray.
Re: sling ammo 05/05/2008 04:53 PM CDT
Because of the availability of tanned slings, staff sling is actually the worst weapon ever, damage-wise. Go with non-lodging ammo. It may do slightly less damage against some creatures, but the ease of loading from hand each time (1 second faster) makes up for it. Sure you could do it with any ammo, but you'd need another command to stow the extra ammo before you aim, and it just isn't worth the hassle usually.
Re: sling ammo 05/05/2008 07:09 PM CDT
<<And no not overhunting. I got 110 in sling and can not even HIT anything near third tier snobs let alone kill with a sling in 6.7 shots. That is using all kinds of spells to boost my fighting not to mention spells to disable my pray. >>

I trained sling up to 80 in blood wolves and bobcats. They were easy to hit snap shooting.

Once I moved to snow goblins (1st tier) I couldn't hit crap. going from 90-115 in there was the slowest ever but I was still snap shooting. Once I started full aim I moved right to 3rd tier no prob.

Now one thing I forgot to tell you, use sling at melee it helps ALOT. Now if your just relying on evasion this may cause problems defensively for ya, but you also can use shield with sling.

Museum sling ammo? 06/22/2010 09:21 AM CDT

Someone posted somewhere an appraisal of some sling ammo at the museum.

I think it was like poor/no/fair or something like that.

Anyone remember where that was and have the appraisal?

Thank You.

Re: Museum sling ammo? 06/22/2010 09:34 AM CDT
E-pedia doesn't have any sling ammo listed from the Museum and I don't recall seeing any in there.

Raven's Court and the Fest ammo have ammo with similar appraisals though.

Tachid smugly exclaims, "Die midget!"
Re: Museum sling ammo? 06/22/2010 12:57 PM CDT
is it required to be a premie to get into raven's court?

I would hate to be the headless horseman's dentist.
Re: Museum sling ammo? 06/22/2010 02:04 PM CDT
It may be the VIP area, which I think is just something like 75 platinums per year entry fee...

Re: Museum sling ammo? 06/22/2010 06:29 PM CDT
Yeah I am not even sure if it was in the museum, I thought it was but it may have been somewhere else. I know the ammo was bone? or tusks or something odd, and they were expensive for sling ammo...

Prev_page Previous 1