Breakable ammo 09/28/2017 09:44 PM CDT
>>Howdy folks... While tracking down another bug this week I discovered the code for calculating ammo breakage had been removed from the live instances.

Not to be too snarky, but was it removed because it's a terrible idea?

This pretty much guarantees that making ammo out of quest materials is retroactively is the dumbest idea ever. Why do my senci shards risk > 0% chance of not existing when a senci maul doesn't? It's the same reason no one is using orichalcum for remedies in alchemy.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Breakable ammo 09/28/2017 10:07 PM CDT
I have to agree. Why implement ammo breaking, I don't see the point other than bring misery to those who invested in quest materials.
Re: Breakable ammo 09/28/2017 11:58 PM CDT
To clarify - this won't affect senci-stone sling ammo. Quest/Fest arrow/bolt ammo that is better than what can be crafted really doesn't exist yet (to my knowledge at least), and we will re-evaluate things when those are introduced.

The point is to create a consumable economy. For a game like DR, game balance and the economy would be improved if all systems featured a consumable aspect. Alchemy and Enchanting feature it strongly. Carving and Shaping will now have a tiny bit. Not sure what you might see someday for Forging or Outdoorsmanship.

If you recall, long ago DR had (most) ammo of its ammo breakable. It was removed for a time, and now it is back. You'll probably see special materials and quest ammo that will be unbreakable. Or arrows that do 3x normal damage but break on the first hit. Plenty of options there for fun stuff.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Breakable ammo 09/29/2017 12:13 AM CDT
>>To clarify - this won't affect senci-stone sling ammo. Quest/Fest arrow/bolt ammo that is better than what can be crafted really doesn't exist yet (to my knowledge at least), and we will re-evaluate things when those are introduced.

1000% less of an issue, then. Having to use normally attainable materials for expendable purposes is fine. It's when you throw $ into the mix that I start taking issue.

>>You'll probably see special materials and quest ammo that will be unbreakable. Or arrows that do 3x normal damage but break on the first hit. Plenty of options there for fun stuff.

Those sound neat!

>>Alchemy and Enchanting feature it strongly.

I love the alchemy system, but as mentioned I'm not tossing orichalcum at an expendable good. I could see things like niniam fitting that slot pretty nicely in some situations, though.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Breakable ammo 09/29/2017 08:16 AM CDT

I think this is a pretty bad idea to have in game, and think the game would generally be more playable without it. Ammo loss is already a thing to the point that many players don't bother with crafted ammo. All this does is further encourage people to do so.

Might have been low hanging fruit and an easy fix, but this could definitely have been something discussed with the players before switching back on? For example, asking people how they generally handle hunting while using ammo?
Re: Breakable ammo 09/29/2017 09:01 AM CDT
For what it's worth it was discussed in 2015.

http://www.tinyheroes.com/forums/DragonRealms/Lore/Shaping%20Discipline/thread/1689115
Re: Breakable ammo 09/29/2017 09:33 AM CDT
I haven't seen any arrows break yet, so I'm guessing the chances for it happening are pretty small.

Thanks for exempting things like senci shards from this, that sort of thing is so difficult to replace.

>>Or arrows that do 3x normal damage but break on the first hit.

Interesting!
Re: Breakable ammo 09/29/2017 09:41 AM CDT
Hey Kodius, during this morning's Crossing Auto Invasion of gypsy rebels it looked like every single (invader's) shot was causing ammo breakage. Might need to uptweak the durability of invader's ammo (unless they have unlimited ammo or it's not much of an issue for invasion mobs).

* Looking as if this were a bad idea, a rebel hunter fires a crossbow bolt at you. You block with a lumium round sipar.
The crossbow bolt hits the ground and shatters to pieces!
[You're solidly balanced with no advantage.]
Re: Breakable ammo 09/29/2017 09:54 AM CDT

>Might need to uptweak the durability of invader's ammo (unless they have unlimited ammo or it's not much of an issue for invasion mobs).

Actually, I think this might be a step in the right direction - make ammo come from 'quivers', and always break on impact, or if it lodges, always vanish on tending or critter death. Get rid of the need to juggle bundles of ammo, deal with room clutter, etc. Make 'quivers' need to be repaired regularly to reload them.
Re: Breakable ammo 09/29/2017 11:34 AM CDT
>>Hey Kodius, during this morning's Crossing Auto Invasion of gypsy rebels it looked like every single (invader's) shot was causing ammo breakage.

Haha, I see... well that is certainly an interesting side effect of this. Yeah, I can put in a fix for it this weekend - though I wonder if anyone ever actually uses enemy-ammo, and if this isn't good for cleaning up what would normally be a ton of junk crap to confuse your own arrows with?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Breakable ammo 09/29/2017 12:10 PM CDT
>>I wonder if anyone ever actually uses enemy-ammo, and if this isn't good for cleaning up what would normally be a ton of junk crap to confuse your own arrows with?

I know the Elpalzi have claw-tipped arrows that are actually pretty good, even by 3.0 standards, but they're an exception not a rule.

Re: Breakable ammo 09/29/2017 12:21 PM CDT
>>Yeah, I can put in a fix for it this weekend - though I wonder if anyone ever actually uses enemy-ammo, and if this isn't good for cleaning up what would normally be a ton of junk crap to confuse your own arrows with?

If you want my two cents - I'd leave 'normal' invasion critters using breaking ammo to keep the mess down, and on 'special' invasion creatures, give their ammo a bit more durability. The beasties using the Claw Arrows come to mind as an example of 'keepers'.

Samsaren
Re: Breakable ammo 09/29/2017 03:59 PM CDT

In one fell swoop, you've increased the value of paid materials and decreased the value of materials in game. It feels like a cash grab, plain and simple.
Re: Breakable ammo 09/29/2017 03:59 PM CDT
>The [\w\s-]+ hits the ground and shatters to pieces!

Is that the only break message? I'd like to highlight it and add it to my stats tracking routine to see how often breaks occur.

~Hunter Hanryu
"Even adjusting the pace for Simu-Soon timescales, there is no way Mech Lore is still trainable in 2014 imo" - Apu(2013)
Re: Breakable ammo 09/29/2017 04:02 PM CDT

> Is that the only break message? I'd like to highlight it and add it to my stats tracking routine to see how often breaks occur.

You could always just count the ammo before a run and then count it when your routine is finished, or are you losing ammo frequently?
Re: Breakable ammo 09/29/2017 04:17 PM CDT
>You could always just count the ammo before a run and then count it when your routine is finished, or are you losing ammo frequently?

I web ranged targets to avoid them walking off, so I don't think I loose ammo except during invasions. Really I just want the triggers for purely informational purposes. I get a sick pleasure out of counting up hits and generating unnecessary amounts of 'statistics'. . . . I may have a problem.

~Hunter Hanryu
"Even adjusting the pace for Simu-Soon timescales, there is no way Mech Lore is still trainable in 2014 imo" - Apu(2013)
Re: Breakable ammo 09/29/2017 04:30 PM CDT
Just saw the messaging in 3rd person but yeah they were the same, regardless of block or dodge or ammunition fired. I didn't see any shots resulting in lodged ammo that broke.

The slender tip arrow hits the ground and shatters to pieces!

The messaging also has it's own line.

* In a weak and directionless display of aggression, a rebel hunter fires a crossbow bolt at you. You block with a lumium round sipar.
[You're nimbly balanced and in good position.]

Going back through my log it looks like the rebels' slender tip arrows might not have been 100% breakage per shot but every fired bolt that didn't lodge, broke.
Re: Breakable ammo 09/29/2017 08:11 PM CDT
>>Ashaman1: If you want my two cents - I'd leave 'normal' invasion critters using breaking ammo to keep the mess down, and on 'special' invasion creatures, give their ammo a bit more durability. The beasties using the Claw Arrows come to mind as an example of 'keepers'.

^This.

But if that's not an option, I'd rather see all enemy ammo break, as it clutters the room and/or confuses scripts trying to retrieve your own ammo.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Breakable ammo 09/29/2017 11:42 PM CDT
>>In one fell swoop, you've increased the value of paid materials and decreased the value of materials in game. It feels like a cash grab, plain and simple.

Arrows and bolts have no paid materials, and Senci will not be released again (in all likelihood) so that would be incorrect :(

Re: Breakable ammo 09/30/2017 12:05 AM CDT

> Arrows and bolts have no paid materials,

So what are you saying here? Are you saying that all arrows and bolts will always break, no matter what materials are released behind paywalls?

> and Senci will not be released again (in all likelihood) so that would be incorrect :(

I'm sure resellers will be happy to hear that, but are you now saying that diamondique, felstone, fulginode, xenomite, and haledroth are being removed as well? Or are you saying that those are going to break now?

What I'm hearing from this is that the wood you shape into the arrow shaft has no effect on breakage, correct? And that "Unique" tusks or other heads will either break or not be released?

I'll be the first one to apologize if unique materials can't be used in ammo at all any more, or if more unique materials will NEVER be introduced to the game. Breaking is annoying, but if it's not a way to try to push people into cash-shop to do what everyone else is doing then fine.

I was also assuming this wouldn't affect thrown weapons, but I guess I should ask. Does it?
Re: Breakable ammo 09/30/2017 12:25 AM CDT
No, this doesn't affect throwing weapons.

Yes, this will affect future ranged ammo materials when they are released. I wouldn't expect them to cost the same as durability-based materials. Kind of like the old quads. You'd buy 200 with Plats to get you through to the next fest.

Re: Breakable ammo 09/30/2017 07:04 AM CDT
Ammo breaking really sucks Plat side since I had to get our high end crafting merchant make me electricity bolts since no one can make them in our instance. This change is not really crappy even though it was supposed to happen a while ago.

You slap Voldag hard in the face with your hand, making a nice crisp smack!! That's going to leave a mark!
Re: Breakable ammo 09/30/2017 07:50 AM CDT

> No, this doesn't affect throwing weapons.

That's good to hear, but I didn't see a response to the rest of the questions.

1. Can you confirm whether diamondique, felstone, fulginode, xenomite, and haledroth are being removed like senci?

1a. If they are not being removed, can you turn off breakage for sling ammo since you can only get these for cash?

2. Can you also confirm whether the wood used to make the arrow shaft affects breakage?

3. How long are 200 expected to last you, and how much plat is this expected to drain?

3a. Can you only get the durability materials at paid festivals?
Re: Breakable ammo 09/30/2017 10:51 AM CDT
1. Can you confirm whether diamondique, felstone, fulginode, xenomite, and haledroth are being removed like senci?

>> I will recommend we sell pebbles (useable only for sling ammo really) for lower costs, yes.

1a. If they are not being removed, can you turn off breakage for sling ammo since you can only get these for cash?

>> To be honest, it is not currently enabled for sling ammo while we evaluate things.

2. Can you also confirm whether the wood used to make the arrow shaft affects breakage?

>> The wood used in the shaft is not currently affecting the final durability. It is up in the air if/when I'll flesh out fletching more, particularly for allowing metal arrow heads and other types of flights.

3. How long are 200 expected to last you, and how much plat is this expected to drain?

>> If you dual load the fastest short bow hunting w/o taking the time to aim and just rapid-firing as fast as possible with a constant stream of enemies, 200 arrows should last for about 1111.11 hours of non-stop hunting. Or about a month and a half. I suspect nobody is capable of doing that, so the more likely use case is half a year of heavy play.

3a. Can you only get the durability materials at paid festivals?

>> I am sure we will add higher-durability materials in-game outside of paid festivals.

Re: Breakable ammo 09/30/2017 11:19 AM CDT

Thanks for the updates. It seems like there are a lot of "recommendations", "maybes" and "soon" promises here. That does still leave me concerned.

I'm willing to sit back and see how this shakes out, but this whole situation is discomforting, especially the lack of information prior to the change.

> The wood used in the shaft is not currently affecting the final durability. It is up in the air if/when I'll flesh out fletching more, particularly for allowing metal arrow heads and other types of flights.

If you go this route, I'd like a chance to recover the arrow heads after the arrow breaks. Crafting takes a while, and spending 10 minutes per arrow head seems like something not worth doing, similar to keyblanks today.
Re: Breakable ammo 09/30/2017 11:31 AM CDT
>>I'm willing to sit back and see how this shakes out, but this whole situation is discomforting, especially the lack of information prior to the change.

Well if you go back to 2015 and early 2016, there were pages of discussion on the matter. It was a compromise for ammunition lacking sufficient memory to track more things.

Truly though - all of DR development is as you describe. Wish it could be better but everything has its limits.

>> recover arrow heads

Well, that is something to consider if we can find a way to make it mechanically possible :nod:

Re: Breakable ammo 02/24/2018 10:55 AM CST
>>It was a compromise for ammunition lacking sufficient memory to track more things.

Is it possible for ammunition to use one time objects as ammunition, specifically loading slings with Naphtha.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"