Prev_page Previous 1
Armor Hindrance 10/11/2014 07:10 PM CDT
Out of curiosity, will your fumble mechanics impede Paladins? They're the ones most likely to be mixing all armors, after all, and most likely to be wearing the heaviest versions of them.
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/11/2014 07:26 PM CDT
Hmm, not seeing any change in hindrance in my mixed setup. My setup, which involves every armor type, had me at rather hindered before the change, and I'm still there now. Is the reduction just too small to cross a messaging level?

Let me know if you need me to post any particular information.
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/11/2014 07:36 PM CDT
The change really shouldn't be very small. What kind of armor though? Some accessories are too light to have been affected by the old formula I'm guessing.

It'd help if you could post what your armor is and where it is located at.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/11/2014 07:43 PM CDT
Awesome! Thanks, Kodius.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/11/2014 07:52 PM CDT
Here's my setup:
a quilted fine silk cap
a light lumium plate mask
some lumium scale gloves
a lumium ring aventail
some heavily bloodstained leathers tooled with an elaborate symbol on the chest
a shalswar-hide targe

The leathers are boss drop from Beyond the Barrier (https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor:Heavily_bloodstained_leathers_tooled_with_an_elaborate_symbol_on_the_chest). The accessories are all crafted to be as light as possible. I'm pretty sure the majority of my hindrance is coming from the mixing penalty.

Specific appraisals follow.

Cap: You feel certain that a quilted fine silk cap appears to impose insignificant maneuvering hindrance
Cap: If you were only wearing a quilted fine silk cap your maneuvering would be barely hindered
Mask: You feel certain that a light lumium plate mask appears to impose insignificant maneuvering hindrance
Mask: If you were only wearing a light lumium plate mask your maneuvering would be barely hindered
Gloves: You feel certain that some lumium scale gloves appear to impose insignificant maneuvering hindrance
Gloves: If you were only wearing some lumium scale gloves your maneuvering would be barely hindered
Aventail: You feel certain that a lumium ring aventail appears to impose insignificant maneuvering hindrance
Aventail: If you were only wearing a lumium ring aventail your maneuvering would be barely hindered
Leathers: You feel certain that some heavily bloodstained leathers tooled with an elaborate symbol on the chest appear to impose high maneuvering hindrance
Leathers: If you were only wearing some heavily bloodstained leathers tooled with an elaborate symbol on the chest your maneuvering would be insignificantly hindered
Targe: You are certain that it imposes minor maneuvering hindrance.
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/11/2014 08:20 PM CDT
With my chain, brig and leather setup my hindrance it went down from rather to moderate so I've seen a positive difference from before. This is has been great so far and I'm looking forward to seeing whats next with armor, thanks kodius!!
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/11/2014 10:13 PM CDT
Ok. Turns out wearing more than 3 armor types was penalized x2 as much as anything else... please try now?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/11/2014 10:49 PM CDT
>Ok. Turns out wearing more than 3 armor types was penalized x2 as much as anything else... please try now?

When I had first tested, I went from 10/14 (highly hindered) to 9/14 (very hindered). After checking just now, I am down to 7/14 (moderately hindered). Thank you for the update. This is one mage that is definitely much happier.

-Master Ndin
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Ndin
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/11/2014 11:36 PM CDT
I have two characters, each with a different 4 armor setup:

- rather hindered (8/14) to moderately hindered (7/14) -- armor tert
- very hindered (9/14) to moderately hindered (7/14) -- armor secondary

Thanks for this -- hindrance makes a big difference!

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/11/2014 11:47 PM CDT
On a sub-100 combat ranks character that is armour secondary and who just started wearing a full 4 armour set-up a few days ago with single digit ranks in two of them... I went from extremely hindered (12/14) to highly hindered (10/14). Every little bit helps!

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/11/2014 11:52 PM CDT
>>Out of curiosity, will your fumble mechanics impede Paladins?

No. This will be a perk from being armor Primary.

Re: Armor Hindrance 10/12/2014 04:29 AM CDT
> Ok. Turns out wearing more than 3 armor types was penalized x2 as much as anything else... please try now?

Down from rather hindered to moderately hindered.
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/12/2014 06:55 AM CDT
First of all, after a second set of testing, thanks a ton! This is so much better.

>> >>Out of curiosity, will your fumble mechanics impede Paladins?

No. This will be a perk from being armor Primary.<<

Do you have any neat enhanced fumble mechanics planned for being weapon primary?

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/12/2014 12:16 PM CDT
>>Do you have any neat enhanced fumble mechanics planned for being weapon primary?

No. There is no analogue for this with armor. A comparable bonus/penalty would be +/- armor protection when using small versus large weapons. Armor doesn't currently have any messaging hooks that would make the bonuses/penalties meaningful, and I will not be developing them right now.

Eventually, when all the maneuvers are finished you will have some Weapon-Primary only ones.

Re: Armor Hindrance 10/12/2014 12:21 PM CDT
>>Eventually, when all the maneuvers are finished you will have some Weapon-Primary only ones.

Woot!

Re: Armor Hindrance 10/12/2014 02:34 PM CDT
> hunt
>You find yourself unable to hunt with items at your feet.

Could this be changed to null the teleport/movement aspect of hunt, rather than the 'looking for enemies' aspect?

Other than that, I wasn't able to get it to break or do anything odd.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/12/2014 02:47 PM CDT
Is this live now, or is this only on the test server?
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/12/2014 02:56 PM CDT
<<Is this live now, or is this only on the test server?

If you're referring to the armour hindrance update then it is live now in Prime. I am unsure of TF or Plat's situation. If you're referring to the 'at feet' slot of the misplaced post right before yours then that is only in test.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/13/2014 03:57 AM CDT
The better armor hindrance is appreciated. It settles issues for a lot of people.
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/16/2014 10:54 AM CDT
Just wanted to check in about this, I logged in as soon as I read the change(yes, I've been out for a week or two...) and found that my hindrance didn't change at all in full plate as an armor Tertiary.

Was the change to plate that small that it wouldn't move a level of messaging?

Wearing a full lumium plate set, full plate/gauntlets/helm.

Let me know if you need more information, or if that is just how small the change was, it'll make me really sad if the change literally wasn't enough to be visible, but I understand it's a work in progress.

Thanks.
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/16/2014 10:56 AM CDT
I noticed a mixing penalty change but when wearing just plate, I did not notice one either.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -

- I maintain the Warrior Mage Beginner's Guide at:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/16/2014 12:37 PM CDT
<<Just wanted to check in about this, I logged in as soon as I read the change(yes, I've been out for a week or two...) and found that my hindrance didn't change at all in full plate as an armor Tertiary.

<<Was the change to plate that small that it wouldn't move a level of messaging?

It might be a reduction to the cap, and not to the calculation in which case you won't see a change unless you have enough skill to cap your hindrance. Or if it is a reduction to the calculation it might be that you were at the top of the range you were at and now you're at the bottom of it. He did say "slightly reduce armor hindrance" after all. I'm not sure which he was referring to, since his post wasn't very specific about it.

The more significant reduction was with mixing penalties. Those should be very noticeable, but didn't affect you since you were not mixing.

Re: Armor Hindrance 10/16/2014 01:14 PM CDT
I should be capping my reduction, having 500~ plate armor skill, but it is possible it was within the same range, yes.

That is partly what I was asking about, I checked my mixed armor set up(all four armors) and noticed a change from "Very" hindered to "Rather", a solid difference, but didn't see any change in my all plate suit, which made me hopeful that it was an oversight or miscalculation somewhere.

I've started/been in a few threads about this since the 3.0 change, I just got excited when I read that hindrance was reduced and wanted to see a bigger change I guess.

Thanks.
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/17/2014 01:29 AM CDT
Was this in Prime? The changes are not live in TF/Plat yet. I'll do that this weekend.

It may depend on where your base hindrance was. This was an improvement to the minimum and maximum hindrance. Can you please post an appraisal of the armor? I'll verify it is all working as intended this weekend.

Re: Armor Hindrance 10/17/2014 08:43 AM CDT
This was in prime, yes.

Here are the hindrance appraisals for each piece I use.

Helm:

You feel certain that a lumium great helm appears to impose fair maneuvering hindrance and fair stealth hindrance, offering:
very high protection and extreme damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very high protection and extreme damage absorption for slice attacks.
high protection and extreme damage absorption for impact attacks.
high protection and great damage absorption for fire attacks.
high protection and great damage absorption for cold attacks.
good protection and high damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing a lumium great helm your maneuvering would be lightly hindered and your stealth would be lightly hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently very hindered and your stealth is highly hindered.

Full plate:

You feel certain that some lumium full plate appears to impose great maneuvering hindrance and insane stealth hindrance, offering:

If you were only wearing some lumium full plate your maneuvering would be moderately hindered and your stealth would be very hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently very hindered and your stealth is highly hindered.

Gauntlets:

You feel certain that some lumium plate gauntlets appear to impose light maneuvering hindrance and light stealth hindrance, offering:

If you were only wearing some lumium plate gauntlets your maneuvering would be minimally hindered and your stealth would be minimally hindered.

Also using an armworn shield with light hindrance if that helps any.

I really appreciate you looking into this, hopefully something is amiss(for my sake) but even if not, thank you!

Cheers.
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/17/2014 09:31 PM CDT
Blegh.. the appraisal ranges at the high end are quite large. The change took you from the high point to the low point in that range.

I already went through and decreased the ranges once. Not sure I can do it again without Elanthipedia people killing me.

In any event, you DO have about a half-capped-buff worth of extra defense skill now...

Re: Armor Hindrance 10/17/2014 11:07 PM CDT
>Not sure I can do it again without Elanthipedia people killing me.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/18/2014 12:34 AM CDT
>>DR-Kodius: I already went through and decreased the ranges once. Not sure I can do it again without Elanthipedia people killing me.

That would be some Halloween trick.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/18/2014 01:58 AM CDT
<<I already went through and decreased the ranges once. Not sure I can do it again without Elanthipedia people killing me.

Every time I see some major elanthipedia thing up for change I get the song The Neverending Story stuck in my head for some reason.

Re: Armor Hindrance 10/24/2014 02:55 PM CDT
Ah well, good to know there was a change at least and that all is working as intended.

Pardon the late reply, but I really just wanted to say thank you for the time you spent looking into this.

Cheers.
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/29/2014 04:38 PM CDT

Just on these changes, I noticed the other day in an invasion that I really did suck in my cloth armor, and I long to go back to being a plate wearing warrior mage....

I haven't tried an all plate armor setup for a while - I was wondering how viable it is now for an armor tert guild to be full plate?

I remember after one of the changes that I was getting ripped to shreds in my plate armor but nothing touched me in my cloth, hence my change over to the lighter side of things, but I've always been a bigger fan of plate armor and I'm hoping this change could mean I can go back to wearing it maybe?

For reference, my armor ranks, in case it matters a lot on what level your at:

Light Armor - 616.94
Plate Armor - 577.53
Chain Armor - 574.50
Brigandine - 569.87

Thanks
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/29/2014 04:50 PM CDT
>>I haven't tried an all plate armor setup for a while - I was wondering how viable it is now for an armor tert guild to be full plate?<<

I'm told its bad, I'm hopeful the higher versions of full plate might be of lesser hindrance. But until I can make them I wont know.

M@c ~]X!j % %AN_rrWB5z4%p rBa =jZb*h[mp,0;pv` knIM%aJ|
WARNING: You are carrying an extremely large number of items on your person.
Having a very high number of items can cause character corruption or
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/29/2014 06:41 PM CDT
Still not viable.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Beginner%27s_Warrior_Mage_Guide
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/29/2014 08:25 PM CDT
From what I could tell most folks lost 2 levels of armor hindrance. What do you consider viable? We can't have plate hindering like leather...

Re: Armor Hindrance 10/29/2014 10:55 PM CDT
I think it's more than fine now. Anything more and you are going to fail if you aren't wearing plate.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/29/2014 11:11 PM CDT
Most folks that lost levels of hindrance seemed to be mixing armor types. In just plate, mine didn't visibly change.

Re: Armor Hindrance 10/30/2014 03:11 PM CDT

I see it right now that mixing armors doesn't really seem to be an issue if your hunting at level, I seem to have been getting away with it for a while so I'm not to worried there.

Viable to me would be that if I've worked 600 ranks in a tert skill, I would like those 600 ranks to work the same as the other 600 ranks I have in a different tert skill, in this case, light armor and plate armor.... and chain armor, and brig armor.

I find the difference between the heavier armors and the lighter armors, when it comes down to a real fight, its huge, and by making it so my guild can't actually function in those heavier armors, even at 600 ranks, sets the guild at a huge advantage.

Right now, if I take my warrior mage into an invasion in plate armor or brig armor, I would get demolished because of being an armor tert guild and the chaanges which went into play..... however, when I take my warrior mage into these invasions in my cloth armor, unless my stealth is incredible (another tert skill), I again get demolished... leaving me pretty much pigeon holed into having to wear a chain setup because the others don't work for my guild.

Sorry if this comes across as a bit of a rant, its not meant to be that way - I've always felt in DR that if you worked hard at any skill then you could master it, but I feel in the case of armors that this is now not something that is achievable.

(note - I plan to pick up a set of full plate armor and go testing the changes for myself but based on other views here it seems its still a struggle)
Re: Armor Hindrance 10/30/2014 03:24 PM CDT
I am just holding out hope that when hindrance comes up on the "list of what's being worked on" that it's redone in a way that anyone can wear any armor and be effective, there's just different sorts of tradeoffs other than "you get hit more". I would love to be able to wear plate and be effective, even if hindrance meant I fumbled attacks more, took an extra second or two of RT for anything that took RT, or used double fatigue for attacks. But as it stands, it just is always the wrong choice. There's not a lot of "this is always going to be bad for you to do" when it comes to choices of skill training in DR, because most of that can be overcome with enough ranks even with skillset placement. LT and throwing multiple blades is a pretty good example of how I wish armor penalties worked.

As far as "But what do paladins have if not armored mobility?", make them tanks. Give them none of the penalties I mentioned (as a guild perk), and then let them use armor skill as an offensive skill - maybe when a hit is reduced to be undamaging by the armor, they spin around and instantly get a 0 rt retributive attack on the target that struck them. It fits with the existing theme of them not wanting to start fights, but effectively finishing them if they are started.

>Necrobob swings at Pallyjane with a club and lands a harmless strike to her plate with a loud metallic clang. Pallyjane spins with the momentum of the absorbed hit and counterattacks with her divine hammer of holy judgment, crushing Necrobob's skull into rotting pulp.

Re: Armor Hindrance 10/30/2014 03:45 PM CDT
Double Post, sorry.

I think part of the issue too is that the hindrance difference is just so enormous between say, chain and plate.

I wear a heavier set of chain which appraises as...

high (7/15) protection and very great (12/18) damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very good (6/15) protection and very great (12/18) damage absorption for slice attacks.
moderate (4/15) protection and very great (12/18) damage absorption for impact attacks.
high (7/15) protection and very high (10/18) damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate (4/15) protection and very high (10/18) damage absorption for cold attacks.
poor (1/15) protection and very high (10/18) damage absorption for electrical attacks.

and is listed as moderate for the body armor, insignificant for the accessories, for maneuvering hindrance.

But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently fairly (5/14) hindered and your stealth is somewhat (6/14) hindered.

At Chain Armor: 426 42%

All of this is without mixing armor, and is WITH a worn shield.

Switching over to plate, the appraisal goes up to...

great (9/15) protection and incredible (15/18) damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very great (10/15) protection and incredible (15/18) damage absorption for slice attacks.
very high (8/15) protection and incredible (15/18) damage absorption for impact attacks.
great (9/15) protection and incredible (15/18) damage absorption for fire attacks.
great (9/15) protection and incredible (15/18) damage absorption for cold attacks.
fair (3/15) protection and moderate (6/18) damage absorption for electrical attacks.

however I end up at

But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently highly (10/14) hindered and your stealth is highly hindered.

Plate Armor: 443 33.76%

Functionally for me in combat, what happens is that the armor is at least 50% more protective/30%ish more absorbing compared to the chain. However, being exactly twice as hindered means that in combat, I get hit SO much more often. Compounded by the fact that you get stunned when you get hit somewhere you're already injured almost all the time, I spend a lot of time stunned, with injuries getting progressively worse, until I need to consider running away. Then, what happens to me in plate is that I can't retreat because I'm in plate, and I die. Even if I get hit for more damage, I get hit so much less often in chain that it feels like it protects me way better than the plate does.

It's twice as hindering, but it's not twice as protective to compensate. I could probably deal with this if it wasn't for the obnoxious chain-stunning and injury compounding. Maybe heavier armors could extend the % of your vitality-given damage protection, so that you still got hurt and took damage but it made it so you had to be at a lower percentage of vitality to start actually taking wounds (With it doing it more based on skillset placement) or something. I don't know. I feel like armor needs to be apples and oranges and every weight of armor should have benefits and drawbacks beyond a scaling meter of protection/absorb vs hindrance. Otherwise if you turn the knobs too far one way, one end of the spectrum is overpowered, and if you turn it too far the other, the other is.

It's very difficult to balance it as-is because you risk making plate the only right choice without careful tweaks, instead of the only wrong choice.

Re: Armor Hindrance 10/30/2014 04:02 PM CDT

Having read through these comments, I've now decided to do what I'm guessing the majority of warrior mages will have already done or will eventually do.... I've bought some chain armor and I'll stick to that. I'll wear full chain when needed, and in training I'll just keep wearing patched armors to get the ranks (which are now technically just tdp generators).

My full damite mail armor and worn targe means I can still hide at level, and leaves me like this....

But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently somewhat (6/14) hindered and your stealth is somewhat (6/14) hindered.

I did notice a comment earlier in the conversation about doing something similar with weapons so that barbarians had a niche too.... please, don't do this! If I'm already limited to an option of one or two armors, don't limit me on my weapons too just to create something extra for one guild.
Prev_page Previous 1