Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/20/2014 11:14 PM CDT
This is such a cool idea.

First thing I tried was sneak. I sneak away, and then I'm able to pick up the weapon even though it is theoretically in the room I just left:

> lob
< Moving with dominating grace, you lob a dented cutlass at a ship's rat. A ship's rat fails to dodge, moving almost completely out of harm's reach.
The cutlass lands a solid hit to the rat's left leg.
The dented cutlass falls to the ground!
[You're very badly balanced with opponent in superior position.]
[Roundtime 2 sec.]
Filled with a nervous energy, the rat chitters and grimaces while darting here and there with sudden bursts of speed.
hide
You melt into the background, convinced that your attempt to hide went unobserved.
Roundtime: 6 sec.
> sneak w
Roundtime: 6 sec.
You sneak west...
[Barana's Shipyard, Lumber Storage]
Piles of sawdust are scattered everywhere but there are only fragments and splinters of wood here. Heavy ruts worn into the ground indicate the path taken by loads of wood from the dock to the south. The smell of the nearby river and its mudflats wars with the clean fresh scent of new-cut wood to make your nose twitch.
Obvious paths: northeast, east, south.
Learned: Stealth
You feel fully rested.
> e
You come out of hiding.
You notice a dented cutlass at your feet, and do not wish to leave it behind.
> get cut
You pickup the cutlass lying at your feet.
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/20/2014 11:24 PM CDT
Ok, next issue:

I throw a cutlass and then a rock. Attempt to move. I'm reminded I have a cutlass on the ground.

Pick up cutlass. Attempt to pick up rock, but now I'm wearing it:

> stow rock
But that is already in your inventory.
> l
[Barana's Shipyard, Lumber Storage]
Raw lumber, cut into various lengths and sorted by type of wood, is stacked in loose piles to cure. Narrow pathways wind among the stacks. You can hear small skittering noises from inside the nearest woodpile. The ground is thick with splinters and curled shavings.
You also see a ship's rat, a ship's rat and a ship's rat.
Obvious paths: north, southeast, southwest.
> get rock
But that is already in your inventory.
* Moving as a single sinuous force, a ship's rat bites at you. You attempt to evade, stepping partially into the shot.
The teeth lands a light hit to your left arm.
[You're bruised, solidly balanced with opponent in good position.]
Learned: Evasion, Defending, Light Armor
The ship's rat closes to pole weapon range on you!
> i
You are wearing a rock, a branch-framed canvas backpack, a homespun blue wool cap, some faded pants, and a patched rawhide workcoat.
[Type INVENTORY HELP for more options]

Also, shouldn't pick up be two words?

You pickup the cutlass lying at your feet.
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/20/2014 11:29 PM CDT
It's awesome that I can die, depart, and then pick up my weapon, but I don't think it should work that way.
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/20/2014 11:31 PM CDT
A couple of observations...

1. The item you throw doesn't appear in your LOOK or in the room description. This effectively makes the thrown item invisible and is a bit confusing if you don't know what is going on.

1a. I can't find an INVENTORY <SLOT> option for this either. I'm not sure if this should be there or not, but it might be something to look into. E.g.:

2. HUNT lets you move rooms with the weapon still at your feet.

3. In addition to the aforementioned SNEAK letting you move with a weapon at your feet, so does following a target that you are stalking.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/20/2014 11:32 PM CDT
There's also the issue of portals:

> lob
You turn to face a ship's rat.
< Moving as a single sinuous force, you lob a dented cutlass at a ship's rat. A ship's rat fails to dodge, only partially avoiding the impact.
The cutlass lands a solid hit to the rat's chest.
The dented cutlass falls to the ground!
[You're badly hurt, very cold, solidly balanced with no advantage.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]
Learned: Heavy Thrown, Missile Mastery
> go gate
[The Crossing, Chieftain Walk]
The warehouses and low buildings to the northwest resolve into a flat, open stretch of turf to the south, where the two rivers that shape the Crossing begin to come together. This level alluvial delta is home to the Crossing's main shipyard, where many of the barges, ferries, frigates, merchant ships, and corsairs that ply the rivers and seas of Elanthia are built. The weathered shipyard gate leads southeast.
Obvious paths: northeast, west.
> ne
You notice a dented cutlass at your feet, and do not wish to leave it behind.
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/20/2014 11:33 PM CDT
Also, inventory reads a bit funny:

You are wearing a dented cutlassa rock, a branch-framed canvas backpack, a homespun blue wool cap, some faded pants, and a patched rawhide workcoat.
Lying at your feet is a dented cutlass.
[Type INVENTORY HELP for more options]
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/20/2014 11:33 PM CDT
<<It's awesome that I can die, depart, and then pick up my weapon, but I don't think it should work that way.

Was that with DEPART ITEMS/FULL or just DEPART?

Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/20/2014 11:40 PM CDT
<<1. The item you throw doesn't appear in your LOOK or in the room description. This effectively makes the thrown item invisible and is a bit confusing if you don't know what is going on.

<<You are wearing a dented cutlassa rock, a branch-framed canvas backpack, a homespun blue wool cap, some faded pants, and a patched rawhide workcoat.

So, I'm not getting this 'wearing a <thrown weapon>' message at all. At first I thought maybe it was hiders, but I deactivated them all and it still doesn't show. Turns out it only shows in INVENTORY output, and not the LOOK or LOOK ITEMS output.
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/20/2014 11:43 PM CDT
>Was that with DEPART ITEMS/FULL or just DEPART?

Well, just depart but as a circle 0 character, so I guess that is an item depart. Might not be an issue then.
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/20/2014 11:46 PM CDT
Teleportation also lets you leave the room with weapons still attached to your feet.

Also, I tested out throwing blades since I figured there was a higher than normal chance they would do something buggy, but they appear to be working correctly with the only issues being the same ones all items have.

Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/20/2014 11:49 PM CDT
An amusing old message given the new mechanics:

> lob <self>
You want to hit yourself in the foot?

Well, actually... yes. ;)

Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/20/2014 11:55 PM CDT
<<So, I'm not getting this 'wearing a <thrown weapon>' message at all. At first I thought maybe it was hiders, but I deactivated them all and it still doesn't show. Turns out it only shows in INVENTORY output, and not the LOOK or LOOK ITEMS output.

While testing DEPART, I discovered this is actually a bigger issue when dead, since the INVENTORY verb doesn't work while dead, and it would be nice to be able to confirm the weapon is in fact at your feet.

<<Well, just depart but as a circle 0 character, so I guess that is an item depart. Might not be an issue then.

I just confirmed that DEPART on its own does not take your weapon with you, and it appears inside of your grave like a normal item.

Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/21/2014 02:58 AM CDT
There will be ways to move without the item being left behind. It would take me 6 heat-deaths of the universe to find and fix them all, so oh well :P I'll fix the easier/more annoying ones as they come up.

I only planned on having the items show up using INVENTORY to keep it simpler. Adding it to LOOK would take more time.

The items do not technically occupy a "slot" due to how the 20-year old system was designed :P I don't think it will be possible to give it a INV SLOT option.

>>It's awesome that I can die, depart, and then pick up my weapon, but I don't think it should work that way.

This is not intended. DEPART should be stripping your items and placing them in your grave. Or were you talking about DEPART ITEMS?

>>rocks

I had not considered non-weapon type objects being thrown. I am surprised rocks still work given the changes I made to prevent food and stuff from being thrown. I'll have to think about that some more.

Thank you for all the testing!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/21/2014 03:37 AM CDT
<<This is not intended. DEPART should be stripping your items and placing them in your grave. Or were you talking about DEPART ITEMS?

He used just DEPART without any modifiers, but as a circle 1 character so we determined it defaulted to DEPART ITEMS.

<<I only planned on having the items show up using INVENTORY to keep it simpler. Adding it to LOOK would take more time.

I can understand this with respect to the separate line below the list of items you are wearing that reads, 'Lying at your feet is a <thrown item>.' But what is so different from INV vs. LOOK that the thrown item in the 'You are wearing a <thrown item>, a helmet, a cloak, etc.' part shows up in INV but not in the LOOK?

Barring it being added to LOOK, could something be fudged together for when you are dead, so that you can tell if your item is indeed at your feet? LOOK <thrown weapon> only provides the description of the item and doesn't indicate where it is. TAP doesn't work while dead, and I wasn't able to think of any other verbs that would be able to either. Even just a one-time message when you die listing what items you have at your feet would be nice.

<<I am surprised rocks still work given the changes I made to prevent food and stuff from being thrown.

Logs still work as thrown weapons too, fwiw.

Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/21/2014 06:41 AM CDT
Very nice, Kodius. Thanks!

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/21/2014 01:00 PM CDT
Ok. What I am going to do is make it so only weapon thrown weapons go to the foot slot. If you lose a log or rock it isn't a big deal. Just easier to deal with on a system side, because of the way it was designed 20 years ago :P I really don't have the energy to rewrite it all for a minor gain.

I'll check on DEPART ITEMs and see why it is having issues.

And yes, I can see about adding the location to LOOK.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/21/2014 03:50 PM CDT
I screwed around a bit in test, and typically I'm throwing a lot of different things (blades, axes, knives, daggers) might it be possible for something like a stow foot, where you grab whatever is at your feet? Similar to stow left (stows your left handed item) or stow right (stows your right handed item).

So far I'm really liking it.

Is this eventually going to possibly lead into disarms or possibly other special moves?

I also like how it stays 'on you' so nobody can just come by and pick it up.

Pleasantly surprised that the area at your feet can hold a bit of misses too.

This kinda looks funky: You are wearing a dark steel bladea dark steel bladea dark steel bladea dark steel bladea

[Aside: Can you please check why critters parry and dodge so much instead of attacking]

So I died and my hurling axe fell to the ground, working as intended?

If I depart items: should the items still be at my feet.

Overall I like what I'm seeing and very much appreciate the extra effort to keeping a few more cool items not going into the Janitors abyss.

Kudos to Kodius, and any other GM working on this one.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/21/2014 06:21 PM CDT
>Ok. What I am going to do is make it so only weapon thrown weapons go to the foot slot. If you lose a log or rock it isn't a big deal. Just easier to deal with on a system side, because of the way it was designed 20 years ago :P I really don't have the energy to rewrite it all for a minor gain.

What if the rock is a pet rock? /s

This seems like a good compromise. If someone is using an improvised weapon I can't imagine being too worried about losing it.
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/21/2014 06:34 PM CDT
<<I'll check on DEPART ITEMs and see why it is having issues.

To clarify, I think it's working correctly. The oddity that is muddying up the waters is just that using only DEPART instead of DEPART ITEMS triggers newbie protection for circle 1 characters and thus behaves like DEPART ITEMS even though you just typed DEPART. Both DEPART and DEPART ITEMS seemed to be working as intended on a higher circle character, the former putting items at your feet into your grave, and the latter causing those items to still be at your feet when you appear at the altar.

Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/21/2014 08:38 PM CDT
>causing those items to still be at your feet when you appear at the altar.

I think that's what's buggy. The change is to make item loss due to normal use go away, not to prevent item loss due to death.

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/21/2014 09:09 PM CDT
<< The change is to make item loss due to normal use go away, not to prevent item loss due to death

It's still normal use, because it only appears at your feet when throwing. The interaction with DEPART happens after the fact if you happen to die with it already worn 'at your feet.' There would have to be an explicit exception coded in to remove the item and drop it as part of DEPART ITEMS, and even DEPART would technically have to drop it instead of graving it if taken as strictly as possible.

Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/21/2014 10:28 PM CDT
>It's still normal use, because it only appears at your feet when throwing.

Not exactly. A melee weapon would fall from your hand and not go with you. A throwing weapon should also not go with you, whether in hand or in foot, to maintain parity.

Weapons for Sale:
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/21/2014 10:57 PM CDT
I was pretty sure TKT would create problems so I tested it and unfortunately it did:

>>INV

Lying at your feet is a dagger.

>>target tkt
You trace an intricate rune in the air with your finger, illusory lines lingering several seconds as you prepare the Telekinetic Throw spell.
You begin to weave mana lines into a target pattern around a granite gargoyle.

>>cast

You gesture at a granite gargoyle.
You contribute your harnessed streams to increase the pattern's potential.
There is nothing here that can be thrown, so the spell fails.
The lands a strong hit to its left arm!
The lands a very heavy hit to its head!
The lands an extremely heavy hit to its chest!
The lands a massive strike to its left arm!
The lands an extremely heavy hit to its left leg!
A granite gargoyle grumbles and falls over with a THUD.
Roundtime: 1 sec.
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/21/2014 11:03 PM CDT
I don't suppose trying to move could auto grab the weapon, maybe with a one second RT.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/22/2014 01:01 AM CDT
You'll have to GET/DROP the dagger manually for TKT to acknowledge it. This isn't going to be something I can fix.

Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/22/2014 01:02 AM CDT
>>I don't suppose trying to move could auto grab the weapon, maybe with a one second RT.

Not a bad idea. If they have a free hand I could see them grabbing it.

Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/22/2014 01:18 AM CDT
>>>> You'll have to GET/DROP the dagger manually for TKT to acknowledge it. This isn't going to be something I can fix.

One can only hope that this is another nail in TKT's coffin (I have disliked the mechanics of this spell for over a decade anyway ....)
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/22/2014 01:53 AM CDT
<<The change is to make item loss due to normal use go away, not to prevent item loss due to death.

Oh, and this from the original post:

<<Many players throw an item and disconnect or die... which leads to the item getting lost and needing replacement. My hope is this mechanic reduces those assists and adds to everyone's enjoyment. Please let me know how testing goes!

Going by that, keeping it with you when you DEPART ITEMS seems to be fully intended.

Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/22/2014 01:14 PM CDT
>Going by that, keeping it with you when you DEPART ITEMS seems to be fully intended.

It doesn't really make sense to lose melee weapons due to death but not thrown. As much as I hate losing items...
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/22/2014 01:16 PM CDT
<<It doesn't really make sense to lose melee weapons due to death but not thrown. As much as I hate losing items...

I already asked this in the other thread I started about the same time this one started. ;)

I'd like to update the request to potentially include items that are disarmed via things like Tingle, Mental Blast, or hands being chopped off too.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/22/2014 01:33 PM CDT
> It doesn't really make sense to lose melee weapons due to death but not thrown. As much as I hate losing items...

It'd be nice if dropped weapons of all sorts went into the at-your-feet slot. Would open the door to more weapon-dropping attacks like Tingle.
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/22/2014 02:22 PM CDT
Thinking about the TKT issue again, I think this is bigger than the spell not recognizing the foot slot. In my trial the only thing on the ground was the dagger, so the spell said it failed but, in reality, it killed the gargoyle with the dagger and just forgot to label it as such. Below I inserted the place were an empty variable was substituted for the place where the word dagger should be:

>There is nothing here that can be thrown, so the spell fails.
>The <> lands an extremely heavy hit to its left leg!
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/22/2014 07:46 PM CDT
>Going by that, keeping it with you when you DEPART ITEMS seems to be fully intended.

Since there's been no talk about removing item drop on death, I'd assume that that statement is specifically relating to throwing weapons and their intended method of use.

Weapons for Sale:
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/22/2014 09:47 PM CDT
...yes? No one has said otherwise? As it is functioning currently it only applies to thrown weapons.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/26/2014 01:59 PM CDT
Doesn't it only apply to thrown weapons that have been thrown. If I'm holding a throwing hammer when I die it will drop to the ground like any other weapon. If I've thrown the weapon and am "wearing" it at my feet then it acts like a worn object.

I don't see any inconsistency with this.

Rhadyn da Dwarb
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/27/2014 12:58 AM CDT
>If I'm holding a throwing hammer when I die it will drop to the ground like any other weapon. If I've thrown the weapon and am "wearing" it at my feet then it acts like a worn object.

So basically thrown weapon users have 2/3rds* chance to be able to ignore item loss due to death.

This also has the odd effect of making slower throwing weapons "safer" because they spend more time in the protected foot slot.

Either the foot slot needs to be dumped on death, or item dropping on death needs to be removed.

*: Random example based on 2 seconds on the ground, 1 second in hand.

Weapons for Sale:
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/27/2014 01:08 AM CDT
>>Caraamon: Either the foot slot needs to be dumped on death, or item dropping on death needs to be removed.

I would favor the latter. That way, if you die while ghosting (because your Internet connection dropped), you won't lose an item through no fault of your own.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/27/2014 01:52 AM CDT
<<>>Caraamon: Either the foot slot needs to be dumped on death, or item dropping on death needs to be removed.

I too would favour the latter, and have already suggested this (in addition to items that have been disarmed such as via Tingle or Mental Blast.) http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Combat%20-%20Weapons%20and%20Armor/Responses%20to%20GM%20and%20Official%20Announcements/thread/1662553?get_newest=true

That said, it being the way it is with respect to DEPART and death interaction right now is working 100% as intended going by the GM announcement:
<<Many players throw an item and disconnect or die... which leads to the item getting lost and needing replacement. My hope is this mechanic reduces those assists and adds to everyone's enjoyment.

The issue about dropping items on death, whether thrown or not, is a separate issue and one not addressed by this fix. I do think this fix opened the door for such a mechanic, however, and do feel it should be implemented (despite possibly being considered a kiddie glove update.)

Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/29/2014 07:34 AM CDT
Re: TKT issue.

I was thinking about this today, and remembered that TKT/TKS very recently underwent some work that fixed the same or similar blank ammunition and double space issue that was logged here. IIRC, any cast of TKT/TKS that failed to find anything resulted in that same messaging but still caused damage. Is it possible that this TKT/TKS fix simply didn't make it to the test server and we're just seeing the results of that older code? If so, then this could possibly not be an issue at all once it hits the live servers.

Re: Thrown Weapon Foot Slot in TEST 09/29/2014 07:39 AM CDT
For reference, the first part of the following thread before it tangentilized shows the bug being reported:
http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Moon%20Mages/Bugs%20-%20Moon%20Mages/thread/1637118?get_newest=true

It was fixed with this update as indicated in #4 on the list of changes:
http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Moon%20Mages/Game%20Master%20and%20Official%20Announcements/thread/1646723?get_newest=true