Fumble and Recover, and Messaging 08/22/2014 07:23 AM CDT
To start off, everyone will need to set !battlebrief to see the new messaging if it's not already set like that. I didn't see any new messaging for 15 minutes till I change that flag.

After that though it seemed to be working as intended. I was using a thrusting blade that was extremely well balanced against a critter that apped as worthy opponent/skilled opponent with all my buffs up, so it was right on the edge of me being able to hit it. I was seeing the recover messaging 25-33% of my hits, and I was missing more than I was hitting them. I never saw fumble messaging, but I didn't test that long.

Looks good so far, but I really haven't done much to try and break anything.
Re: Fumble and Recover, and Messaging 08/22/2014 02:28 PM CDT
Wandered in during my lunch break, using a fairly low balance weapon I never saw recovery messages, but the fumble rate wasn't too infuriating. The new combat messages were nice to see mixed in though.

Samsaren
Re: Fumble and Recover, and Messaging 08/22/2014 04:56 PM CDT
It's pretty cool. The recovers are nice when you have trouble hitting something and both recovers and fumbles were rare enough that they never occurred back-to-back or in an annoying fashion, like 2 or 3 fumbles in a row.

I noticed a typo on a fumble:

<You feint a massive Dwarven greataxe with a bearded silversteel blade at a lava drake failing to heft the weapon properly. A lava drake barely blocks with its stony hide.
[You're winded, adeptly balanced and overwhelming opponent.]
[Roundtime 2 sec.]

There's an extra space between drake and failing even though you can't see it in this post for whatever reason.
Re: Fumble and Recover, and Messaging 08/22/2014 05:05 PM CDT
Found another typo:

< With geeat skill, you swing a frosty claymore at a lava drake. A lava drake badly fails to block with its fiery claws.
The claymore lands a strong (7/23) hit that bruises the right hamstring.
[You're bruised, winded, incredibly balanced and overwhelming opponent.]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
Re: Fumble and Recover, and Messaging 08/22/2014 05:12 PM CDT
<<<<You feint a massive Dwarven greataxe with a bearded silversteel blade at a lava drake failing to heft the weapon properly.
<<There's an extra space between drake and failing even though you can't see it in this post for whatever reason.

And there should be a comma instead of just a space otherwise it would be the drake failing to heft the weapon. Even then it is worded a little oddly, since normally a phrase like that would occur at the beginning of the sentence. It would sound better if it was changed to "but fail to heft the weapon properly."

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Re: Fumble and Recover, and Messaging 08/23/2014 12:39 AM CDT
The wonderful Combat Message System uses an incredibly complicated series of transformation calls to automatically add spaces and punctuation to a pre-built string. To avoid spending an excessive amount of time figuring out and then updating it, I kind of intercept it at one point and add the new string. The engine is out of memory at that point so to speak, making it even more difficult. Unfortunately this automatic transformation seems to add a space after the message, so commas don't format correctly.

Once I get back from vacation I'll see if there is some way I can get it working and clean up the mistakes you found :P

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Fumble and Recover, and Messaging 08/23/2014 06:26 PM CDT
I'm over on test server but can't seem to find the travel crystals that used to be there years ago. Is the only fast travel command still TEST JUMP to return you to the Crossing? I'm trying to get something from my vault to facilitate testing without having to spend all the time travelling back and forth.

Re: Fumble and Recover, and Messaging 08/25/2014 11:41 AM CDT
I'm really looking forward to seeing if this makes using my incredibly balanced but no strength suitability silversteel dagger advantageous.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Fumble and Recover, and Messaging 08/27/2014 01:28 PM CDT
This still in test? 3 different days, 2 different critters, 300 total hits and no recovery message seen.

Abison/Rystien
Re: Fumble and Recover, and Messaging 08/27/2014 03:57 PM CDT
Turn off combat brief.
Re: Fumble and Recover, and Messaging 08/29/2014 07:05 PM CDT
Okay, two more tests. Hundred strikes and 2 fumble messages. Then I did 135 strikes. I had 17 normal misses and 6 fumble messages. I was hunting zombie stompers with 381 in small blunts. Agility is 65 if that matters. i was using a Crossing store war club with the following stats:

A war club is a medium blunt melee-ranged weapon.
A war club trains the small blunt skill.

You are certain that it could do:
no puncture damage
no slice damage
heavy impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The war club is fairly designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the club is poorly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the war club is marginally vulnerable to damage, and is in pristine condition.

The war club is made with metal.
You are certain that the war club weighs exactly 75 stones.
You are certain that the war club is worth exactly 45 Dokoras, 62 Kronars, or 50 Lirums.

Abison/Rystien
Re: Fumble and Recover, and Messaging 08/29/2014 09:58 PM CDT
In your opinion, would missing 4% more often make that club less appealing than a less damaging but more balanced version that did not miss more often?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Fumble and Recover, and Messaging 08/29/2014 11:46 PM CDT
<<In your opinion, would missing 4% more often make that club less appealing than a less damaging but more balanced version that did not miss more often?

It would depend on the damage difference. In general terms, I think for a low damage weapon I would tend to go for a higher damage stat whereas for a weapon with high damage I would be more likely to go for the more balanced version. Low damage weapons take longer to lock because of their reduced damage, so more damage per hit is something I wouldn't want to trade without a lot of incentive. A higher damage weapon has more wiggle room since experience is already pretty high per hit. 4% more accuracy would possibly be enticing depending on how much damage is sacrificed.

To answer your question more specifically, for that war club in question Iwould not trade damage for miss chance.

Re: Fumble and Recover, and Messaging 08/30/2014 12:07 AM CDT
Would a fumble still award experience, if it's a challenge?

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Fumble and Recover, and Messaging 08/30/2014 12:20 AM CDT
>In your opinion, would missing 4% more often make that club less appealing than a less damaging but more balanced version that did not miss more often?

I really don't think that's a question that can be answered in abstract. The play experience is based on feeling and would really need a dry run on the test server.
Re: Fumble and Recover, and Messaging 08/30/2014 12:37 AM CDT
Misses do award a little experience in 3.1 combat. Hitting awards a lot more.

Re: Fumble and Recover, and Messaging 08/30/2014 09:14 AM CDT
>>In your opinion, would missing 4% more often make that club less appealing than a less damaging but more balanced version that did not miss more often?

Messing with it a few times Kodius, I didn't find the fumble too annoying for bigger weapons. That said, for lower skilled weapons where I'm fighting things a bit on the hard side I'll likely forge up some higher balance 'training' weapons and use my big heavy painstick for serious work.

PvP, I haven't decided.

Samsaren
Re: Fumble and Recover, and Messaging 09/03/2014 02:00 PM CDT
I'm personally less interested in fumbling and more interested in turning a miss into a hit or being able to overcome a parry/block in PvE.

Also wondering if there can be some way to allow weapon balance to improve the chances of making called shots. If my super accurate dagger improved my ability to hit a mob in a specific area, that would be awesome.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.