Numbers on Hindrance? 03/12/2009 10:30 AM CDT
I was wondering if anyone had done some quantitative analysis on how badly different levels of hinderance affect your ability to evade. For instance, a sample experiment:

* Wear enough armor to achieve the desired level of hindrance. Be careful not to wear an arm-worn shield(I believe there's a big where arm-worns are not included in hindrance appraisals).
* Withdraw enough coins to get yourself exactly to the edge of Lightly Burdened, to standardize weight.
* Fight a single creature that you can comfortably dodge at the desired level of hindrance; stance down your evasion to the edge of where you can comfortably dodge it. While doing this, be careful to avoid engaging multiple creatures or letting yourself get far away from solidly balanced.
* Note your current level of hindrance, and how many effective ranks of evasion it takes you to dodge at that hindrance. Repeat the experiment unhindered to establish a baseline.

I would perform such an experiment myself, but unfortunately I don't yet have enough evasion to dodge even rats at the higher levels of hindrance.

It seems hard to make an informed decision about which armor type to use without such information; do tertiary plate armor users face a 20 rank evasion penalty or a 100 rank evasion penalty when maxed for hindrance? Is it a percentage penalty(for example, 90% of raw evasion) or a raw rank penalty? In the first case, the evasion gap would grow as you progressed, which would be very undesirable.

Any information is appreciated.
Re: Numbers on Hindrance? 03/12/2009 10:53 AM CDT
>(I believe there's a big where arm-worns are not included in hindrance appraisals).

Not anymore.

The flaw in your methodology is that reflex is a factor as well. I can dodge rats in a 0% evasion stance with 99 reflex. But it is an interesting idea to test.
Re: Numbers on Hindrance? 03/12/2009 06:19 PM CDT
I ran the experiment as best as I could. Here were the results:.

Evasion: 45
Reflex: 14

% Stance Evasion necessary to dodge 8/10 blows:
CougarWild Boar
None72%47%
Insignificantly84%56%
Lightly97%64%
Fairly--71%
Somewhat--78%

Obviously there's lots of room for error here; for one, I did not account for "opponent is in a strong position" and such, although I remained solidly balanced the entire time. Also, each hindrance level is a fairly wide range, and I don't know where in that range my setups were. And pure chance could've screwed things up.

The results seem consistent with the hindrance penalty taking a percentage off of evasion. In a naive model, ignoring the effects of reflex and burden(which might be significant), the ranges I saw for my setups were:

Insignificantly: 14-16% penalty
Lightly: 26-27% penalty
Fairly: 34% penalty
Somewhat: 40% penalty

Which isn't at all what I was hoping to find!