Grey and brown streaked cutlass scattered with granite-colored speckles 06/06/2012 06:38 PM CDT
According to elanthipedia, this thing is a max forged quality cutlass, but I recall seeing forged MEs that app better. Does anyone have any first hand info about this thing? I just signed up for the riot quest and I'm interested in getting the cutlass for it's ability, but would like to know if it's a decent weapon as well.
Re: Grey and brown streaked cutlass scattered with granite-colored speckles 06/06/2012 06:53 PM CDT
It is actually a little bit better than you could get with steel for the weight that it is. A high-carbon steel cutlass of the same weight would actually have a level less of balance (or suitability if it was balanced), and less durability. So I would say compared to a forged cutlass of the same weight it is actually better in some areas.
Re: Grey and brown streaked cutlass scattered with granite-colored speckles 06/06/2012 06:54 PM CDT
I have one and really like it, but there are cutlasses out there with better stats (special metal) but I believe it is the max you can get now with normal metals. I'm not a forger so am not sure about that. It hits much like my old heavy slice forged scimitar.
Re: Grey and brown streaked cutlass scattered with granite-colored speckles 06/06/2012 07:03 PM CDT
Thanks for the quick replies. I don't know much about MEs and wanted to get it for the 3.0 switch to small arms since I'm LE main right now. The ability caught my eye and just wanted to make sure it would be decent in combat. The skill check to change the attunement is for arcana or for primary magic?
Re: Grey and brown streaked cutlass scattered with granite-colored speckles 06/06/2012 08:08 PM CDT
It could very well have slightly better stats as well - would have to have a high carbon steel 37 stone cutlass as your test object. If they compare the same in the damage stats they still could be different, then the process would bet to make more cutlasses decreasing the weight one stone at a time, each time comparing to the quest custlass and the control 37 stone cutlass and see which weapon gets the "slightly more X" first.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Grey and brown streaked cutlass scattered with granite-colored speckles 06/07/2012 05:16 PM CDT
I drew up some data so you could compare.

The blade you're asking about (37 stones):

cutlass: 3/8/7 5/8 10

Other similar weight blades:

Steel: 3/10/5 5/7 5 -- 37 stones
Tyrium: 3/11/6 7/7 17 -- 40 stones

Other heavier blades (still ME):

Steel: 3/9/7 4/9 6 -- 44 stones
Tyrium: 4/10/8 5/9 17 -- 48 stones
Haralun: 3/10/8 4/9 14 -- 52 stones

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Grey and brown streaked cutlass scattered with granite-colored speckles 06/07/2012 05:38 PM CDT
Thanks for the info!