Forged Hand Axe Experiment! 07/24/2010 11:22 PM CDT
I've been experimenting with forged hand axes, trying to see how well they do at higher weights. My FF for ME is only around 210, also non-barbarian so I cannot grind em.

Anyone care to try and make a hand axe over 50 stones and see how they turn out? A density of 7 or more should do the trick. The ingot I used on this was pretty random. I think I even threw in a large silver bar! It came out the same (with better construction) than the 60+ stone hand axe made from a 70 stone battle axe ingot (7.8 density)

Im really interested in seeing the slice and impact from a well forged one, as well as how suited it can be ground to.

Here was mine. 57 stones, unground.

A hand axe is a medium edged melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
low puncture damage
moderate slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the axe is dismally balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the hand axe is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

The hand axe is made with metal.
You are certain that the hand axe weighs about 56 stones.
You are certain that the hand axe is worth exactly 300 lirums.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

57 stone hand axe vs capped 33 stone scimitar

You are certain that the obsidian black scimitar is somewhat stronger than the hand axe.
You are certain that the obsidian black scimitar is more balanced than the hand axe.
You are certain that the obsidian black scimitar is less suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the hand axe.
You are certain that the obsidian black scimitar does a little less puncture damage than the hand axe.
You are certain that the obsidian black scimitar does somewhat more slice damage than the hand axe.
You are certain that the obsidian black scimitar does somewhat less impact damage than the hand axe.
You are certain that the obsidian black scimitar weighs less than the hand axe.
[Roundtime: 8 seconds]
Re: Forged Hand Axe Experiment! 07/25/2010 05:00 AM CDT
That's roughly the no-grind cap on hand axes, the template's a little broken. I think I forged one with a 9.0 density ingot (I have ~310 ME FF, probably was ~270 at the time) and it came out with the same damage stats, better suited and better constructed. I doubt I vaulted it, but I'll look when I'm around later today. Basically it was a 72 stone piece of crap. Heh

Segmere
Shadow Priest, Baron's Own Militia

"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." ~WC Fields
Re: Forged Hand Axe Experiment! 07/25/2010 01:44 PM CDT
Hand axes just don't work all that great due to the awful balance. I had one made years ago from kertig. High end of heavy slice if I recall. Absolutely blew stuff up with it if they were easy to hit but if I was hunting closer to the edge of my skills a great slice scimitar blew it away.

A hand axe is a medium edged melee-ranged weapon.
You are certain that it could do:
low puncture damage
heavy slice damage
fair impact damage
You are certain that the axe is poorly balanced and is well suited to
gaining extra attack power from your strength.
You are certain that the hand axe is moderately strong, and is in
pristine condition.
The hand axe is made with metal.
You are confident that the hand axe weighs around 45 stones.
Re: Forged Hand Axe Experiment! 07/25/2010 03:28 PM CDT
Ah awesome kertig one. And yeah the template cap is pretty lame. Oh well!
Re: Forged Hand Axe Experiment! 07/25/2010 04:35 PM CDT
I forged quite a few hand axes with Rmel trying to come up with a decent impact-focused medium edged and they pretty much all sucked horribly.
Re: Forged Hand Axe Experiment! 07/25/2010 08:37 PM CDT
Not all templates are created equal...

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Forged Hand Axe Experiment! 07/25/2010 08:49 PM CDT
>Not all templates are created equal...

But should be.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi, Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Forged Hand Axe Experiment! 07/25/2010 09:04 PM CDT
>>Not all templates are created equal...

>But should be.

I have a dream...

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Forged Hand Axe Experiment! 07/26/2010 12:06 PM CDT
>>I have a dream...

That one day, our templates will be judged not by the damage stats of our grinds but by the content of their enchants.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms