Medium Edge Tactics 06/23/2008 05:27 PM CDT
My goal is to get a better grasp of Medium Edge weapons. Currently I seem to be doing poorly compared to people with HE or 2HE weapons. Even when they have much lower ranks. Maybe it's my fault and I'm just not using my tools like I should. I have 366 ranks. 40 Strength and 45 Agility.

For taking down Orc Raiders, I Lunge, Thrust, or Jab each time from pole-range to charge at my foe. Seems to do more damage. I use a forged sabre. Here's the app:

A midnight black sabre is a medium edged melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
heavy puncture damage
low slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the sabre is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the midnight black sabre is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.

The midnight black sabre is made with metal.
You are certain that the midnight black sabre weighs exactly 36 stones.
You are certain that the midnight black sabre is worth exactly 520 lirums.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

Most of the time my attacks get parried by the raider's broadswords. I can ambush somewhat well, but I'm hindered by a dual chain armor setup. My scimitar doesn't seem to operate as good. Any suggestions to help me optimize my sword arm? Sabres get any better than that with normal metals? Or am I'm forced to earn more ranks to compensate for the fact I choose an inferior weapon style? I'm not bitter, just jealous so far ;)
Re: Medium Edge Tactics 06/23/2008 05:35 PM CDT
Sabre works great against raiders, since it is a lot better than scim for getting past parry and gets nice stuns via lunge. You just have to set up first.

Feint (draw?), thrust, jab, parry - think this is correct. Get to incred/overwhelming
Lunge, thrust, jab, parry - If your in nice position as above, the lunge will quite regularly slip right past parry and often stun. Works even better if you hide and lunge from hiding.

Don't waste your time charging.

Scim works well in raiders if you are better balanced and have a means of unbalancing them, but yes it does have a harder time getting past parry. I still tend to stick to scim though, sabre is just mostly a fun toy for me. If you use brawling, can use shove to get them off balance and such. Or whatever abilities you might have (no idea what guild you are). I use a.. think 45 stone scim. Does fine. Only a few more ranks than you.
Re: Medium Edge Tactics 06/23/2008 05:42 PM CDT
With 32 strength, 50 agility, and about 20 fewer ranks of ME than you, and buffing with Rage of Clans, I'm applying the raider beats fairly handily using a scimitar, comboing with feint, draw, sweep, slice, chop. I've found that I get better results if I stand there in a parry stance and wait for the bad guy to use a sweep, chop, or similar move, then start my combo. When he goes to dodge or parry, I parry and wait again. The time I waste doing that more than makes up for the time wasted when I'm throwing out missed swings.

A scimitar is a medium edged melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
poor puncture damage
heavy slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the scimitar is fairly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the scimitar is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The scimitar is made with metal.
You are certain that the scimitar weighs exactly 36 stones.
You are certain that the scimitar is worth exactly 378 dokoras.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

Aveda's Field Guide- http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Re: Medium Edge Tactics 06/23/2008 06:26 PM CDT
My scimitar looks like the one posted. Not sure where I'd find a 45 stone scimitar, if that'd help any compared to the 36 stone one. I'll give it a try again with the new tactics talked about. I'm surprised scimitars work better for you two. I get parried more and don't land as beautiful of a hit compared to my sabre. I'll try watching their combos for openings. Brawling is only 291, kind of apprehensive about shoving things with the defense penalty it gives.

Guild is Moon Mage. Mental Blast puts them to sleep and kills any of the challenge and stealth + weapon experience. Orcs have the mentals of child. If I use a CJ, I perform much better even if I still get parried occasionally. Rather not rely on them for a number of reasons.

Thanks for the tips. Maybe I'll do better.
Re: Medium Edge Tactics 06/23/2008 06:36 PM CDT
I Feint/Draw/Slice/Chop/Parry right through them no problem. The added weight doesn't do much, just adds a little extra power behind it.

As I said though, for slipping paste the parry sabre does work great. For quickly killing one, it's fun. But it's not as good in general for dancing I feel, more of a niche weapon. And pvp if you're going melee.

Shadowweb might be fun? hehe. Does the new dazzle do you any good vs them?

I've been and continue to work brawling extensively in raiders. 311 ranks at the moment, have gained 30 or 40 in them. But I don't regularly go around shoving them, I like to use it for dancing to help keep balance. And is easy to lock without being offensive. Great for working defenses. Then again so is feint, feint draw, feint slice, feint chop, parry with your scim shrug.

My thoughts. I love raiders for the teaching they do, even if I hate the random one hit crits I still get once in a while =)
Re: Medium Edge Tactics 06/23/2008 06:47 PM CDT
Who forged your scimitar? Any extra power is welcomed heh. Shadow Web works, but if their balance is good they break free a few seconds later. Dazzle only works on the third floor. Otherwise they're a good combo for messing with the raiders on the top. Long as I don't web a hidden sniper... I won't know until they get their revenge on me.

I guess I prefer the sabre because ME locks faster as a tertiary skill for me. I want to take as long as I can to lock it before my mindstate goes sour. After everything locks, I leave the manor. Probably won't find me in there, I'm usually training in seordmaors. Orcs are when I start getting hungry for gems.
Re: Medium Edge Tactics 06/23/2008 06:53 PM CDT
Heh, well I might be that potentially hidden sniper. We have several of those and a few backstabbers in there too though, so thats not news (was crowded this weekend).

Drevid forged the scim for me like 2 years ago. He's around Rossmans, still forges stuff. Give him a yell, he might not kill you for being a mage.

But ya, I've pretty much just been using raiders in between survival runs myself.. easy enough to walk in there, lock three weapons/stealth/defenses and walk out if it's swarmy enough.
Re: Medium Edge Tactics 06/24/2008 12:29 AM CDT
Try an iltesh.
Re: Medium Edge Tactics 06/24/2008 03:36 AM CDT
I went and played with my sabre in raiders tonight.

draw/thrust/jab/parry - generally equals incred/overwhelming, if not, repeat.
then hide, lunge (often got a single hit kill with this lunge, if not it was almost always a stun), thrust, jab, parry. repeat (hide is only before lunge).

i.e.

> lunge back

You leap out of hiding and ambush a red bear orc raider, completely surprising it.
< Driving in like the irresistable force of a cyclone, you lunge a polished black sabre at a red bear orc raider. A red bear orc raider beats off little of the sabre with a pitted steel broadsword. The sabre lands a powerful strike that skewers a perfect hole between the shoulder blades (Heart Burn!).
The orc raider looks down with a faintly surprised expression before collapsing upon the ground.
[You're incredibly balanced]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]

(no this was not a backstab). but that's a special metal sabre too.. so. 389 ME.

Successful ambush really helps too tho =)

Can stun in the open with lunge too though, kills quicker than my scim by far. But, still prefer using my scim.

But have to remember that lunge leaves you wide open.. so if melee with multiple, has the potential to hurt (gotta be aware of that when using it to spar too).
Re: Medium Edge Tactics 06/24/2008 09:10 AM CDT
Feint from pole - don't Lunge or Thrust. This will allow you to do a good bit of damage with the initial charge and follow it up with a Lunge.

A good tactic, though somewhat time-consuming, is to feint, feint lunge, feint thrust, feint jab, dodge before actually going through your attack routine. You'll start off incredibly balanced.

You may also want to find a lighter sabre with better balance.

________
"I for one welcome our new Lithping Overlordth."
________
Re: Medium Edge Tactics 06/24/2008 09:40 AM CDT
Thanks again, the last few posts helped a lot. I'm killing these raiders with just my sabre and stealth. Few more ranks and I'll have less slip ups and more kills/stuns. This is much more fun than getting parried constantly! I'll see about adding more MEs to my weapons collection and test with those.