Thinking of upgrading 12/04/2007 11:52 PM CST
I am using a forged scimitar at the moment and wondering what is next if I want a better weapon. Just wondering what kind of ME it would be and how much they are going for. Here is what the one I have apps at:

A scimitar is a medium edged melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
poor puncture damage
heavy slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the scimitar is fairly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the scimitar is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The scimitar is made with metal.
You are certain that the scimitar weighs about 34 stones.
You are certain that the scimitar is worth exactly 378 dokoras.

Stolas

The views expressed in this post are in no way endorsed by the Moon Mage guild or the Progeny of Tezirah sect ... but I am sure they will come around.
Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/05/2007 06:29 AM CST
You're at the top end for ME unless you can get a hold of something made from glaes or kertig. oh and i seem to recall someone posting a 50ish stone hand axe or something? as i recall balance wasn't so hot but had good impact.
Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/05/2007 07:54 AM CST
The damage on a scimitar (normal metal) caps at p/h/l. You can make them as heavy as you want - which does have benefits and drawbacks. The main drawback is that balance decreases as weight increases. However, heavier weapons do more damage - it's in the numbers.

Korutu always said to use the heaviest weapon you can swing at min roundtime. I personally disagree with this idea, as I'm a 100% balance nut, but there are many folks who agree with and abide by his thinking.

If you just want to do more damage than you're doing now, switch to a sabre and learn how to use it. Lunge does significantly more damage than you'll experience with a slicing weapon.

________
Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/05/2007 08:12 AM CST
Iltesh! Decent as a slicer, can throw in the lunge thrust jab when appropriate, and the pummel does incredible damage.
Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/05/2007 08:40 AM CST
Isn't pummel based on weight? Ilteshes don't tend to be that heavy...
Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/05/2007 11:52 AM CST
Iltesh ~39 Stones IIRC

You might be thinking of an Elven telo, which is ~12 stones
Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/05/2007 12:52 PM CST
Every iltesh in the game, as far as I know, is 35 stones. That's pretty heavy as far as medium edges go. I like the balance on it as well.

A curved steel iltesh with an ironwood pommel carved into the shape of a leaf is a medium edged melee-ranged weapon.

moderate puncture damage
moderate slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the iltesh is reasonably balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the steel iltesh is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.

The steel iltesh is made with metal.
You are certain that the steel iltesh weighs about 35 stones.
You are certain that the steel iltesh is worth exactly 40590 dokoras.
Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/05/2007 01:45 PM CST
I am guessing that the non normal metal MEs are going to be expensive and hard to find. If you are going to go with a heavier ME anyone know where they cap at and how heavy you can go?

Stolas

The views expressed in this post are in no way endorsed by the Moon Mage guild or the Progeny of Tezirah sect ... but I am sure they will come around.
Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/05/2007 02:06 PM CST
>SORTIK

I want one. Where do I get?

Aveda's Field Guide
http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Hot hot hot scripts, Antique P5 maps, a macro tutorial, skill & stat training advice, and plenty of Bardly goodness.
Reckus 4 is out! Now with vocal support! 9/18/2007
Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/05/2007 02:20 PM CST
>If you are going to go with a heavier ME anyone know where they cap at and how heavy you can go?

Damage on scimitars caps at p/h/l. Balance and Suitedness vary based off of weight. They can be made infinitely heavy in this forging system.

________

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/05/2007 02:42 PM CST
As an aside, one of my good friends has this:

a ceremonial Elven iltesh with a blackened slender blade

Wrens in flight have been etched onto the slender blackened blade. Light catching on the sharpened edge gives the illusion of lightning dancing along its surface. A leather braid wraps tightly around the bloodwood pommel as it works its way down in alternating red and black strips to the huge ruby embedded in the pommel.

The ceremonial iltesh has been designed to take full advantage of your Elven frame. Holding it in your hand, it feels like a perfectly balanced extension of your arm.

A ceremonial Elven iltesh with a blackened slender blade is a medium edged melee-ranged weapon.

heavy puncture damage
moderate slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the iltesh is reasonably balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the ceremonial iltesh is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.

The ceremonial iltesh is made with metal.
You are confident that the ceremonial iltesh weighs about 35 stones.
You are certain that the ceremonial iltesh is worth exactly 687500 kronars, 550000 lirums, or 496100 dokoras.
Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/05/2007 02:54 PM CST
I believe that belongs to Styil and is one of the rare racially bonused weapons.

________

Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/05/2007 04:40 PM CST
There are at least 2 then.
Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/05/2007 05:05 PM CST
Keep in mind that heavier weapons only improve in quality until about 6 density. After appraising several dozen blades of each type forged by an array of barbarians I have noticed the same trend in all of them. Basically suitedness stops getting better at ~6 density, but balance keeps dropping. If you go below 4 density you'll notice balance stops increasing but suitedness keeps dropping.

My guess is that suitedness is a damage bonus that factors in strength somehow. So yes, generally speaking heavier weapons do more damage. But once suitedness stops increasing there is no reason to seek out a heavier weapon. In my opinion the massive balance loss just cripples the point total of the weapon.

I also have some thoughts about the "hidden weight damage factor". We had a 500+ stone greatsword in Plat that app'd like a storebought greatsword. Extensive testing back when the fatigue on super heavy weapons wasn't working properly showed absolutely no damage difference between it and a normal greatsword. If there is some hidden damage bonus from weight, its miniscule enough to be ignored. Oh, and yes we also factored in the chance to knock stuff over. It seemed to be equal with both blades.

If someone could post some logs or test data showing better damage dealing with super heavy weapons I would be very interested to see it. Hoenstly I just think its another DR-myth :P

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/05/2007 07:26 PM CST
>If someone could post some logs or test data showing better damage dealing with super heavy weapons I would be very interested to see it. Hoenstly I just think its another DR-myth :P

As do I. I was just stating a couple theories in response to the initial question. I'm a balance nut. In my experience higher balanced weapons seem to actually add ranks onto what you currently know when it comes to weapon skill and parry ability. My 2 main melee weapons are 24 stones each, a mid-end reasonably balanced scimitar and a well balanced sabre.

________

Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/05/2007 07:40 PM CST
What would you say is the density on the scimitar I posted?

Stolas

Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/06/2007 02:10 AM CST
>>As an aside, one of my good friends has this:

I have been looking for that. I would like to buy it.
Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/06/2007 05:31 AM CST
What would you say is the density on the scimitar I posted?

looks like the 5-6 denisty range, 33-35 stones i'm guessing
Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/06/2007 11:19 AM CST
>What would you say is the density on the scimitar I posted?

Whatever the weight of the scimitar is, divide it by 6.

________

Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/06/2007 12:07 PM CST
>>I have been looking for that. I would like to buy it. <<

I will ask her about it, she was mentioning possibly selling it.
Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/06/2007 12:28 PM CST
<<Whatever the weight of the scimitar is, divide it by 6.

Well, if I am using a 36 stone scimitar then I suppose it is the best I am going to get forged. I dont suppose anyone will be trying to get rid of a glaes or kertig ME? Or perhaps a fest item that has better than forged stats.

Stolas

Re: Thinking of upgrading 12/06/2007 12:48 PM CST
>Well, if I am using a 36 stone scimitar then I suppose it is the best I am going to get forged.

There are competing theories, so don't listen to us. We're knuckleheads. Experiment and figure out what works best for you.

________